*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/642293
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #1508897
Blogging/Journaling/Complaining on an entirely inconsistent basis.
#642293 added March 26, 2009 at 10:42am
Restrictions: None
Emergency Weather Precations from Wyoming
A friend--ok, so I actually taught her in the 6th grade eons ago--lives in Wyoming and sent some really good tips for weather emergencies.  Since we had to deal with the Ice Storm from Hell, these ideas are great ones for anybody in any part of the country.  So, Thanks Michele Barrelle for sharing.

Something that is great to have for emergencies is a hot water bottle or two, along with covers.  They are great to tuck down into your bed for added warmth too!  You can put extra heated hotwater into a few thermos' for at least one warm up re-fill inbetween heating water up on kerosine stoves or whatever...Or when the electricity first goes out before the hotwater heater cools down...Fill them up too! 

I actually purchased several hotwater bottles and covers on Europes E-bay...From England.  Lots of businesses there sell these and it is really easy to pay for these items on E-bay and then have them shipped over.  I have never had a problem.  Through E-bay you get buyer insurance and all to protect your purchase anyway.  Plus, they make the neatest hotwater bottle covers over there to help to insulate the heat in longer when using them and to help to keep your feet from touching a cool water bottle at the foot of your bed in the morning!  They are still a big deal in England, I guess, for bedtime and warming beds, as opposed to electric blankets and such used more over here.  And...A lot of people in different countries in Europe actually tuck them underneath of their coats for added warmth in the winter months too.

As I said, I purchased several on E-bay...To give to my kids for their camping equipment and for emergencies too.  We discovered that they are a great camping item for the kids to put into their sleeping bags at night when we are in the mountains in the spring or fall months when the nights get a little cooler.  Like I said, you can heat up hot water on the campfire to put into them (The kids don't have a travel trailer like us yet!)  and then fill a few thermos' with extra heated water for an exchange.  They work great.  I also got a few for my Mom's emergency kit too and for us.  I used them when the power was out this storm too.  Great to cuddle up with.  I have actually found several really neat emergency items through the years that we have on hand...

I will have to tell you sometime about the neat electronics too!  We have things with extra back up batteries for music and DVD movies and such too.  They are great for camping or traveling and such though I have learned.  After all, we don't run the generator non-stop if we are camping in the mountains and such.  And, we also have a few special emergency winding flashlights with a crank and built in radios that can be used to recharge themselves for the light, or to recharge cell phones, DVD players and the like.  Of course, auto cell phone charges are a must too these days.  Especially around here where you could drive for miles and never see a soul!  You can find excellent deals on all of these kinds of emergency types of things online on E-bay or elsewhere too.  They are great to add to your supply over time.  Plus, always check online for coupon codes too for businesses before checking out online and making purchases.  You can always find a way to get an additional discount that way.

We always plug our carbon monoxide detector in one of the working outlets too when running the generator...As a safety back up.   

© Copyright 2009 Rixfarmgirl (UN: rixfarmgirl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Rixfarmgirl has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/642293