*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/649501-Equality
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1540953
The Continuing Saga of Prosperous Snow
#649501 added May 13, 2009 at 4:07am
Restrictions: None
Equality
This is my response to "Invalid Entry for Tuesday, May 12, 2009 in the "Follow the Leader


Equality is a complicated issue, just as families are complicated issues. Equality, like all complicated issues is one in which each individual has a personal definition of what it means based on life experience, cultural back ground, chosen religion, etc.

At one time women were chattel, the property of a male and something to be bought, sold or traded at will. This is still true in some cultures in modern times, but it is a concept that is changing. Women as a group are attaining equality in all areas of their lives.

Each individual agrees that equality is good and desirable. That is until the individual confronts specific issues that require them to question their own learned prejudices. Then they withdraw into their shells and refuse to look at the wider implications of the issue.

I once met a woman who was opposed to the equality of men and women because she thought that equality meant that every one was the same. I only encountered her once, my response at the time was to say men and women were equal. Now I wish I had asked her why she thought equality meant that everyone was the same rather then everyone having the same rights.

As I aged and acquired wisdom, I have found that learning why people think or believe something is extremely interesting. In most instances, you find people regurgitate what someone else told or taught them and they never learned to question. However, occasionally you will find someone who has given his or her person views a great deal of thought and will give you an unregurgitated answer.

© Copyright 2009 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/649501-Equality