*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/651352-the-new-gurl
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Shyly
Rated: 18+ · Book · Romance/Love · #1563697
she loves me...she loves me not! he loves me...he loves me not!
#651352 added May 24, 2009 at 3:50am
Restrictions: None
the new gurl
Chapter 2


Her new roommate was a tomboy!  It was very easy to tell from all the trophies and medals she had hanging around, the soccer ball she had stashed away along with her basketball and some light jogging weight.  She had a couple of pictures on the wall, mainly her and a group of boys that again pointed out how much of a tomboy she really was.  Most of her pictures were with this really cute guy; really drop dead gorgeous if anything.  Probably her boyfriend, she had a couple of drawings on the wall, seemed she was an artist, wow talented in all areas.  The drawings were really good, some were of her, her eyes rolled up in exasperation, a couple of her smiling and making a goofy face, another were just sketches of the cartoon character Goofy.  She had some posters on the wall, again of sports.  She signed and hoped to get along with the girl that seemed to be the complete opposite of her, she resumed packing her stuff.


The door was flung open, to Shaniq’s horror a bunch of laughing guys came in, they all looked like they just came from the gym.  She cleared her throat to alert them she was in the room.  The guys turned around, along with the one girl who happened to be among them.  She was beautiful…


         “Oh am so sorry, hi!” Sanam stared wide eyed at her roommate.


         “Hi, am Shaniq” with a bright smile, “Your new roommate, are you guys all my roommates?” she was a complete flirt, so she’d heard a couple of times, and she had to admit it was true.


         “Am Sanam, these are my friends who are just about to leave” she pointed towards the door.


         “Aright Nam, we’ll see you later” all of them left, except for the one that must have been her boyfriend, she raised a brow at him.


         “Keith…” she stressed as if talking to a child, he completely ignored her and walked over to Shaniq.


         “Hi, am Keith, friend of Nam, and you are?”


         “Shaniq, just came in from Cali”


         “As in California?”


         “Duh” Sanam said as she turned and jumped on her bed, and looked at Keith at his best.


         “Nice place, over there”


         “Have you ever been there?”


         “Noh, but someday” he grinned at her, and again, Shaniq couldn’t help but see how devastatingly handsome he was.  His jet black hair was cut low but full enough for one to be able to see the little curls.  He had thick, slashing eyebrows, slightly low with wide gray eyes accentuated by long lashes.  His nose was long and straight, slightly flaring, he had wide, well sculpted, full lips, the color was darker than his milky chocolate skin with that tint of yellow that made it oh so golden looking.  He was a big guy, way taller than her 5’7, he looked like solid muscles all over with a tattoo on his neck.  He could tell she was checking him out, she knew that he knew and didn’t seem to mind at all, she actually grinned a little.


         “Well, I better get going, we got a meeting tonight, so…” he said looking at Sanam who barely paid him attention


         “Okay, I guess I won’t see you at dinner” carelessly


         “You stink Nam, take a shower” he didn’t say it in a way to make it insulting, they might not have noticed, but Shaniq did, they were like an old couple, taking care of each other. 


         “You too dumb ass”


         “She abuses my friendship” he said looking at Shaniq with mock hurt, Shaniq put a hand to her heart with a  smile that said she understood.


When he left she chuckled.


         “Funny guy, is he your boyfriend?” she inquired, better to get things out so she’d know better than to try to steal her new roommate’s boyfriend.


         “Nah, we’re just good friends” ‘good’ Shaniq thought. “So Cali huh?”


         “Yea”


         “What made you come all the way out here”


         “I guess I just needed a change of scenery, I don’t really know, I was just so sick of always being in Cali, I was born there, I grew up there, and after 2 years in college at that place, it’s like, nothing changed.  I still went home, it still didn’t feel like I had entered a different stage in my life, I needed control of my life I guess” she smiled brightly.  Shaniq was a pretty girl, her long, wavy dark red hair hung past her shoulder, her eyes were dark with dark mascara seemingly professionally applied.  Tiny nose, full lips, and looked like she hadn’t done a day’s hard work in her entire life.  She was the type of girl Sanam was never friends with in high school, not that there wasn’t an exception.


         “Seems like a completely valid reason to me”


         “So where are you from?”


         “Philly”


         “For realz, I got family up there!”


         “That’s nice”


         “What part of Philly you from?”


         “West, round ‘brook”


         “Noh, my cousin live at 63 and Winewood near Woodbine Ave.”


         “Yea, I lived there”


         “Ya’ll might have seen each other, she went to Overbrook”


         “Yeah, I went to Upper Darby”


         “Oh”


         “Too much fights and whatnot”


         “Yea, she’s always telling me about some fight, she’s in the 12, can’t wait to graduate, am like, the year ain’t even started cuz”


         “Yeah, I remember those years”


         “Yeah, feels like forever ago, you got some tape, the RA said you can only use painters tape” RA were student floor supervisors.


         “Yeah, I got some, here” she opened her desk drawer and threw it at her, Shaniq turned out not to be such a great catcher, the tape bounced around a while until it finally fell.


         “Shit, my nails”          


         “Sorry are you okay?” Sanam walked to her and looked at her fingers, she frowned, not seeing what the fuss was about.


         “No, its fine, it just almost flipped up, kinda painful, but yea am good” she smiled at Sanam who gave a little smile back.


         “How tall are you?” she asked as Sanam walked off


         “Um 5’11”


         “You play ball?”


         “No, just soccer, do you?”


         “I played tennis for a while, yeah I know, what a girl sport, I see you surf” she said nodding towards a picture of Sanam in the water with her board, hair actually reaching her shoulder blades


         “Yeah…just a hobby though”


         “In Cali, am the best surfer up there”


         “Really, that’s cool” Sanam finally seemed to find some interest in her roommate…they actually, surprisingly seemed to have a lot in common, they spend more than an hour talking, Sanam helped her pack her clothes and put her posters up, with some pictures of her and her friends.


         “Did you draw those pictures?”  Shaniq cut into their prior conversation.


         “What? Oh no, that’s all Keith” she smiled when she said his name, “His a really good artist, he’s majoring in computer graphics and trying to get his art certificate, I actually had to push him to do this so he wouldn’t waste his talent”


         “You guys are like really close huh?”


         “I’ve known him since I was like 3, our houses were right next to each other, it became hard to ignore him, especially since our mothers happened to be like best friend”


         “Wow, that’s a long history, and then you came to the same college”


         “We’ve always been to the same school, it’s not really something we thought about, it just, I don’t know...”


         “Be weird to not go to the same college”


         “Yeah, something like that, come on, am hungry…want to go to dinner?”


         “Sure, am starving…I hope the food is good here”


         “It’s awright, it ain’t the best, but we can always go to the grill and just order the food, but let’s try the caf first, you might like it” she shrugged.


© Copyright 2009 Shyly (UN: djoulde at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Shyly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/651352-the-new-gurl