*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/653632-French-Open-is-over--Wimbledon-in-three-weeks
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(119)
by Jeff
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1399999
My primary Writing.com blog.
#653632 added June 8, 2009 at 12:56am
Restrictions: None
French Open is over ... Wimbledon in three weeks!
Not sure if you all watch tennis, but I've started following it over the past year, and now I'm hopelessly addicted. It's an amazing sport, requiring both finesse and strength, power and accuracy.

I'm just about the furthest thing from what you'd call a "sports guy". Other than tennis, I rarely watch anything other than championships (the World Series, Super Bowl, etc.), and sometimes not even those. But when I do, it's safe to say that I'm a fan of two types of athletes... those that break records, and those that are underdogs.

For those of you who don't watch tennis, the French Open men's final on Sunday made history. Already with dozens of tennis records to his name, Federer became only the sixth man in history to win all four Grand Slam events (Australian Open, French Open, Wimbledon, and the U.S. Open), and tied Pete Sampras' all-time record of 14 Grand Slam titles.

Wimbledon starts in three weeks, where Roger Federer (who previously won a record-tying five consecutive Wimbledon titles) will attempt to best Sampras' record by winning once more... and taking the title from his nemesis, Rafael Nadal, who beat him last year in the epic five-set Wimbledon championship, which was widely considered to be one of the best (if not the best) tennis match in history.

There's really no point to this post, other than to congratulate Roger on his hard-fought and well-deserved French Open title. You'd be hard pressed to find a more gracious, talented sportsman in any sport... it's undeniable what he's done for tennis, and I'm looking forward to watching him compete for many more years to come. *Smile*

© Copyright 2009 Jeff (UN: jeff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jeff has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/653632-French-Open-is-over--Wimbledon-in-three-weeks