*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/657345-Bean-Boozled
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1219658
Another plate full of the meat and vegetables of my life.
#657345 added June 13, 2013 at 5:38am
Restrictions: None
Bean Boozled
*Bullet* What is it that’s been around since the seventeenth century and is still going strong? I guess there’s a multitude of answers to that one.

*Bullet* What is it that was sent into space in the 1983 Challenger shuttle as a treat for the astronauts? I suspect imaginative minds could go into overdrive about that one.

*Bullet* What is it fans of the Beatles in the Sixties often sent as gifts or threw on the stage to their idols? Don’t even think about Tom Jones as you contemplate this one.

*Bullet* What is it Ronald Reagan kept in a jar on his desk in the White House during the Eighties? Are you getting warmer?

*Bullet* What is it that students of Hogwart in the Harry Potter series supplement their diet with on a regular basis? Any ideas yet?

I know you’re dying to know the answer *Rolleyes* and if you’re still scratching your head, don’t fret. All will be revealed in a moment.

As someone who is constantly trying and generally failing to lose weight, I try to avoid desserts and sweets at all times. This isn’t a big problem apart from holidays and special occasions when to see them is to want them. On the whole I can resist cakes, biscuits, chocolate and candies although sadly not alcohol, but I digress.

Even in Las Vegas I was able to fill a bag with the many-coloured M & M’s and bring them home untouched for the kids. They look very pretty but I know despite the multitude of shades they all taste the same and am not tempted to eat them. But if there’s one sweet I can’t refuse it’s the humble Jelly Bean. I think it’s the amazing range of flavours that captivates me and how realistically delicious they are.

Of course, England sells Jelly Beans and if I ever come across one of those help-yourself sweet counters, I’ll generally come away with an overloaded bag of Jelly Beans I can’t stop eating until they’ve all gone. I anticipated America, home of the Jelly Bean, would offer up an even bigger range of colours and flavours and looked forward to sampling them. I know, small things amuse small minds, it’s true.

My first encounter with U.S. Jelly Beans was at St Louis Zoo. Not wanting to be greedy or be unable to leave room for my next meal, I demonstrated my self-control by choosing only a small box instead of a huge bag. Once outside the zoo, hubby declared he could walk no further *Pthb*, so we had to hang around for a bus to take us back to the Metro. To pass the time I opened my box of Jelly Beans and started munching.

Mmmmm…the first few were mouth-wateringly delicious…obviously Licorice…Peach…Coconut...but then the next one, despite it’s attractive yellow colour was surprisingly unpleasant. Undeterred I continued sampling…Banana…Coffee…Caramel…but then YUK…What the hell was that?

A little more cautious now, I nibbled just the edge of each Jelly Bean, before deciding if it was to my liking or not. Discarding a Jelly Bean because I didn’t like the flavour was a first for me and quite disconcerting. Finally, after rejecting a further few Jelly Beans, I decided to examine the box.

Besides the usual list of ingredients, nutrition facts, bar code, trademarks and manufacturing details, I discovered a warning which read -

CAUTION

These Jelly Beans may look alike but they could not taste more different from each other. Think you can tell them apart?

WE DARE YOU!


Below this was a chart of the Jelly Beans with their flavours described underneath. Now, I’m all for innovativeness and experimentation in all things, but even my adventurous spirit balked at the idea of consuming Jelly Beans christened such names as Rotten Egg, Ear Wax, Skunk Spray, Booger and Vomit. *Sick*

Alas,that was one box of Jelly Beans left unconsumed. I just hope my relationship with the Jelly Bean is not damaged for life. Anyone know where there’s therapy out there for post traumatic Jelly Bean stress?



© Copyright 2013 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/657345-Bean-Boozled