*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/665028
Rated: XGC · Book · Opinion · #1501776
May my opinions gather wind under their wings and fly, perchance to soar.
#665028 added August 24, 2009 at 9:44pm
Restrictions: None
I am a son-of-a-bastard
I am a son-of-a-bastard
2009 August 24th

I spoke to the bastard today.

87 years old, but still the spawn of an un-Holy union.

She wouldn't like me calling her that (she prefers mother). But... that's what she is. Her parents marriage was not recognized (tolerated, yes) by her mothers family and The Church.

Yes, Teresa had sinned.

She done went and married a Methodist.

And her Catholic heritage from Alsace was sullied by that damned heretic. Her offspring bastards to this day. No papal blessing could ever be bestowed.

And now her grandson is gay? How many of her siblings, her extended family, the next three generations also struggled with sexual "abnormality", like divorcing or marrying someone of a different race or creed. Not that a family of un-Holy bastards should complain.

They keep their secrets.

And that is only one reason why marriage should not be a religious-only ceremony. Legally, it is a secular contract between two consenting adults. Simple. And no religious organization or group of local vigilantes should have a right to tear it asunder, no matter how unapproving they may be.

Yes, society's approval is nice. And an important ingredient to happiness and support through life. But mere intolerance is no excuse to deny others happiness.

Marriage is:

1. a legal contract (upheld by local, state and federal laws and recognized worldwide)
2. an exclusive contract (between two humans, not multiple which means no 'group marriage', no dogs allowed)
3. secular (religious ceremony optional)
4. consenting (no shot-gun arrangements made by others)
5. between adults (old enough and competent to enter into a contract)

So... yes, my grandparents got married. But in the eyes of many a church they did not. Fine with me. Except... what would they do with me? I'm not even Christian!

So stone me if you must... but only if the pope gets to have the first pitch.
26

© Copyright 2009 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/665028