*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/666459-My-Sun-Soaked-Summer
by Kristi
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1594648
The inner scribblings of my mind
#666459 added September 4, 2009 at 6:37pm
Restrictions: None
My Sun-Soaked Summer
For most of the American population, summer does not officially begin until June 21st. That is not the case here in North Central Texas; it begins quite a bit earlier. So, for the sake of any argument, I have declared June 13th as the beginning of my summer. Why? Well, because that is my birthday and with it comes a natural sense of celebration!

My birthday this year marked my 39th year of existence and was filled with laughter, joy, friends and family, and of course, sunshine! Not only did my mother take me out to eat at a fancy Mexican restaurant, one friend took me out for Bar-B-Q while another took me out to a high class Italian place in the heart of Downtown Dallas. After dinner with my mother, she presented me with a birthday cake - red velvet with my very favorite whipped, creamy butter icing. This cake held a bit more sentiment than just the typical message of "Happy Birthday". Below those decorated words was another message: "Congratulations on 6 months of Sobriety"! She cried and cried, all over my delicious looking cake, before we were actually allowed to dive into it! Happy tears of course. Ya see, until December 10, 2008, I was a daily abuser of methamphetamine. This addiction had me in its evil clutch for 25 years.

The majority of my summer has been centered around reclaiming my life. I can't say I have worked hard at that, for I have lounged by the huge swimming pool surrounded by palm trees in my mother's delightful and serene back yard. The gentle breeze kept me entertained with its ability to make the elegant wind chimes sing their song in unison with the peaceful background sound of the waterfall from the hot tub. Chirping birds, floating butterflies, soft pillowy clouds all added to the wonderful effect of my calm environment.

My mother and I have had an opportunity to laugh and enjoy each others company - something I have robbed her of being able to do for the past 25 years. We have danced around her over-sized living room, we tried our hand at yoga, and we have spent hours upon hours playing with Freddi, my 5 month old female German Shepherd. Freddi, in German, means Peaceful Ruler and I selected this name in the hopes of it rubbing off on her! Yes, my puppy was an evil monster for the first couple of months. But now, she is quite the pleasant addition to our family. She knows how to shake with the appropriate paw. She knows the difference between High Five and High Ten. She knows all the basics of sit, lay down, and Tell Me. She even knows how to whisper!! She is completely house broken and is nearing 40 lbs. Mom loves her like the grand child I have never been able to give her and refers to her Freddi Lue Poopi Doo.

I have spent a good amount of time creating a writing workshop for troubled teens in the Dallas area that I call Scribbling for Self Discovery. The workshop has not formed into total fruition yet, as I am working on finding a sponsor. The workbook is very near completion and may be viewed here at WDC.

Scribbling for Self Discovery  (E)
Workbook for the writing workshop I host.
#1589173 by Kristi


I have also been trying to finish my book:

My Escapade Through Hell  (18+)
My book; my story.
#1553543 by Kristi

and have submitted my query letter to six or seven literary agents, all of which have rejected me. I have not let that get me down, but I have put off sending any more queries until I can discover what I am doing wrong, or just what I may not be doing right. I am not out to make any money from the book; I just want it out there to help those who are still confined to the hellish drug.

I also spend an awful lot of time here on WDC. Too much if you ask my mother or Freddi. But I am content! I have so many wonderful friends here and continue to make more, it seems, on a daily basis. One can never have too many friends if they are all good ones! *Smile*

So here we are, nearing the end of the 2009 summer and I am very proud to say that I am coming up on my ninth month of being free and clean!! If I never make another accomplishment in my life, I will still be satisfied and fulfilled with this particular one.

To some, this may sound like a pretty boring summer, but it has been one that has reached deep down in my soul and refreshed me. I can only hope that the next 40 or so are just as rewarding.

© Copyright 2009 Kristi (UN: kristilove at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kristi has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/666459-My-Sun-Soaked-Summer