*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/670297-October-2---Laptop
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1595043
Entries made during Leger's 15 for 15 Contest.
#670297 added October 3, 2009 at 6:17am
Restrictions: None
October 2 - Laptop
Imogen leaned closer to the computer monitor, watching as the family of baboons fiddling with the laptop she had left in their habitat earlier that morning. The laptop was an experiment to see how well their cognitive function was progressing. She had high hopes for their advancement although her adviser, and harshest critic, Roberta seemed to think that higher learning for any types of primate was inconceivable.

She couldn't wait to prove him wrong.

Blowing a burst of air under her bangs to get them out of her line of sight, she noticed the primary male, an elder baboon who went by the name of Horatio, was examining the laptop like a soldier would a bomb. Lifting it left to right, pressing the keys with slightly large fingers, he didn't seem to impressed with the technology. Still, he kept the old relic in grasp.

Soon the younger baboons, many who were his offspring, crept closer to his work. They watched in fascination, making loud noises and pointing at the foreign object with excitement. Imogen was ecstatic. Her fingers flew across the keyboard in sheer glee. Her notes were always extensive, but this would going to be a full fledged report. Roberta could eat her heart out!

Inside the habitat Horatio peered down at the laptop in his hands with a keen eye. There was something amiss about this object. Things were just not right with the schematics.

"Father," called his older son. There children knew not to get in his way while he worked. "Is that the new HP Pavilion with holograms graphics. I've heard such wonderful things about the new system."

Horatio shook his head, scratching the patch of snow white hair atop his head in frustration. "No, my son. This a relic even the gorillas in the habitat next door wouldn't use."

His mate, a smaller-sized female named Maria, walked over to his side, her presence calming his sudden urge to scream. He hated getting upset in front the little ones. Anger was so uncivilized.

"Do you think they suspect?" Maria asked.

Again Horatio shook his head. "No. I'm afraid those individuals still underestimate our intelligence. The hidden cameras alone are insulting." He tossed the laptop aside knowing the piece of scrap would be useless for his Pentium III processor. "Humans..."
© Copyright 2009 LdyPhoenix (UN: ldyphoenix at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LdyPhoenix has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/670297-October-2---Laptop