*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/670087-October-1---Air
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1595043
Entries made during Leger's 15 for 15 Contest.
#670087 added October 1, 2009 at 9:15pm
Restrictions: None
October 1 - Air
Sharp clacks of extensive loafers announced the arrival of the ballet choreographer. Dressed to the nines in a expensive three-piece suit made by an Italian designer, a finely woven scarf tied stylishly around his neck, Mr. Maxwell looked more the part of a businessman than a former prima ballerina. He slammed his polished cane down three times on the wood flooring to get the attention of his prime dancers, each lost in their own worlds.

The trio came to the front of the stage, their warm up clothes a mix-match of worn out leftovers from the Goodwill and remnants of lost lovers. Each had an attitude that went through the roof. It was understandable, they were some of the most talented dancers he'd ever had to the chance to teach. But underneath every smirk lied a depth of pain partical to the bearer. If they would allow him, he'd give the vehicle to exercise their demons.

Mr. Maxwell cleared his threat with a menancing expression on his face to cut the bullshit in the wings of the stage. "This is not the first time we've practiced this piece people, but not that our openning night is tomorrow, this will be one of your last."

His prime trio didn't flinch, but the leading lady Tali, seemed to go pale under her naturally glowing skin. Fear, he surmised. They'd have to break that soon.

"The ballet up until this point has been about Andre and Oliver's characters and the contrast between them. Now its Tali's character's time to shine. She be hiding in the shadows, but in this scene she will burst from her coccoon and fly!" He clapped his hands twice, ending the conversation. "Start from the top."

Mr. Maxwell to a seat in the front row, watching as Andre and Oliver clashed on stage, showing dominance as to who was the better man. He couldn't help but make his mind wander to his talk with Tali earlier. Trust was an issue for any dancer, but since that unfortunate night a few months back she hadn't been the same as a person or a dancer. The scars had only made it worse.

The music overhead hit a crescendo, marking the scene for Tali's entrance. She entered as if she was a different woman. The scars lacing her skin and face seemed to disappear as she took center stage. Andre grabbed her around the waist and she didn't struggle but flowed into the movement with grace. Suddenly, Oliver jerked Tali from Andre hold, lifting her high into the air by her waist and tossed her into the air.

For a moment everything was silent as Tali soared, without cords, without fear. She was more beautiful than if a newly-emering butterfly had flown out itself. Tali, for a moment, had been gifted wings.

Andre caught her on cue, ending the scene in a flourish. Mr Maxwell heard applause for the three only to realize he was standing, and it was coming from his own hands.
© Copyright 2009 LdyPhoenix (UN: ldyphoenix at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LdyPhoenix has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/670087-October-1---Air