*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/670709-The-Black-Eye-Peas-on-the-Oprah-Show
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1592786
A place for writing off-the-cuff
#670709 added October 10, 2009 at 1:38pm
Restrictions: None
The Black Eye Peas on the Oprah Show
If you missed the kick-off show of Oprah Winfrey's 24th season of the Oprah Show -- here's your chance to see it! I was sipping my afternoon coffee with a neighbor friend when we heard the show begin. "I've Gotta Feeling" is one of my current favorite songs (it's my ringtone *Laugh*) so Tonya and I moved from the kitchen to the couch and settled in to watch the Black Eye Peas perform.

I was surprised that no one was dancing as the opening bars began. I would have been going crazy -- like the one woman in the front row. When the group of people around that woman started dancing, I thought it was some dance everyone under thirty probably knew (like the Electric Slide in the 90s). When the number of dancers kept growing to eventually included the entire crowd of 20,000+, I was confused and enthralled. Oprah's reaction was priceless -- it was clear she was as surprised as the viewing audience.

After the commercial break, we learned they had pulled off a flash mob, which is a large group of people performing unusual things in public. They claim it was the largest flash mob on record. Apparently, a director and choreographer taught the dance to twenty professional dancers. After a "casting call" over FaceBook and Twitter, 800 ordinary people showed up the day before the performance and learned the dance. The next day, those 800 people were scattered throughout the audience and taught the dance to the crowd. The flash mob was organized as a surprise for Oprah, who clearly loved it!

Interestingly, I have been watching the audition shows of So You Think You Can Dance, and I KNOW I saw the woman in the blue shirt (the very first one dancing during the Black Eye Peas performance) audition. She got her ticket to Las Vegas!

So, here's the video. Enjoy!!





*Cat*~Nicki~*Cat*







© Copyright 2009 NickiD89 (UN: heftynicki at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
NickiD89 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/670709-The-Black-Eye-Peas-on-the-Oprah-Show