*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/673261-Chapter-5
Rated: E · Book · Other · #1609350
Book for the contest entries
#673261 added October 25, 2009 at 8:12pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 5
Chapter 5

Monica fluffed the feather pillows just before crawling into the big bed for the night. The metal frame squeaked as she adjusted herself. Lying in bed, staring up into the darkness, the silence of the night weighted heavily on her. She closed her eyes, hoping to drift off to sleep. Instead, visions of Jake filled her mind. She hugged the comforter tight, let out a loud sigh.

Butterflies danced in her stomach as she thought about what tomorrow would be like. The thought of a first date terrified Monica, and her breath caught for a brief moment. She had no idea what to wear, how to act, what she should talk about, none of it. Panic pushed the fluttering butterflies away and her heart pounded so hard, so loud in her chest she could hear the echo on her ears.

She sat up in bed, reached out for the glass of water that sat on the wooden table beside her bed. Taking a quick gulp of the refreshing liquid had the desired effect and her heartbeat slowed to a steady rhythm. Monica wondered how in the world she would make it through tomorrow if she were this frazzled by just the thought of being alone with Jake. She held her arm out to return the glass to the table, but it hit the elaborate candle dish, knocking the brown and beige rocks onto the floor.

Instead of getting out of bed to clean it up immediately, which normally she would do, she made sure the glass sat flat on the table and then lied back down. She had to get some sleep. Tomorrow would have to wait. Rest was the most important thing she could do for herself, and if she had to count sheep for hours to accomplish it, she would.
~~~
Bright sunshine filled her bedroom, waking Monica out of a deep sleep. She stretched, rolled onto her side and watches the curtains flutter in the breeze. A smile tugged at the corner of her mouth.

“Today I will let fate be my guide.”

WC:348
Total WC:2427

** Image ID #1591886 Unavailable **
© Copyright 2009 Purple Celebrates (UN: purpleprincess at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Purple Celebrates has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/673261-Chapter-5