*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/673637-Chapter-6
Rated: E · Book · Other · #1609350
Book for the contest entries
#673637 added October 28, 2009 at 1:02pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 6
Monica sat nervously in the big booth, fidgeting with the handle of the coffee mug. She watched as people came and went, some stayed inside the coffee shop, but most grabbed a cup to go. Glancing at her watch, knowing Jake was thirty minutes late, her excitement and nervousness plummeted. She spend the better part of her day getting ready for her very first day, and it looked as if her efforts would go down as one big waste of time and effort. She sighed, and looked up as a couple walked through the door.

Sitting back in the booth, she watched the pair, envious of the closeness they possessed, something she’d never known in her entire life. They placed their order, both smiling and chattering away. Monica couldn’t look away, was mesmerized as her heart ached. What was she thinking? Years ago, she foolishly decided going on alone would be the best thing for everyone, but sitting her now, she knew it was one of the biggest mistakes of her life.

The red head spun around after picking up her coffee cup, leaned her bottom against the counter and made eye contact. Monica gasped, dragged her eyes away and focused on the black coffee in her the beige mug between her hands. Head flooded her checks, making its way down neck and chest. She hated the reaction, feeling embarrassed, wishing she had learned to control how her skin turned red and became blotchy.

Looking up, she caught a smiled from the girl. Before Monica could think, she realized the pair was heading towards her. Butterflies took flight in her belly, her breath hitched and heart pounded like a drum.

“Monica?” The woman asked.

Monica almost jumped out of her seat at the recognition in the woman’s voice. She looked up and nodded, puzzled as to who stood before her.

A pronounced frown took over the pretty, oval face. “You don’t remember me.” She sighed. “No biggie. I’m really not surprised.” She leaned in a bit closer and whispered, “I’ve had some work done.”

The man at her side laughed. “That’s what you call work?” He held out a hand for Monica. “Scott Stone. My sister Valerie here thinks plastic surgery is a must for all of natures little imperfections.” He gave her a firm handshake before sliding into the booth across from Monica.

The name sparked a distant memory. “Valerie,” Monica whispered.

Valerie sat beside her brother and smiled. “How’ve you been? I haven’t seen you since tenth grade when I got shipped off to Catholic School.”

“I’m well enough.”

Valeria set her paper coffee cup on the table and leaned back, one of her perfectly groomed eyebrows arched. “Hmmm, haven’t seen you in 5 years and that’s the best you’ve got?”

Scott laughed and shook his head, his reddish blonde hair swaying. “In case you forgot, my sister is a nosey chattie. She’ll talk your ear off until you give up in the info she wants just to shut her up.”

Valerie elbowed Scott in the side, and Monica noticed the smile that tugged the corner of her mouth. She liked his teasing, would even bet it was comforting to her.

“Don’t scare her away.”

A light laugh escaped Monica’s lips. The sound seemed so foreign to her that she covered her mouth with her hand.

“Sorry I’m late,” Jake said standing beside the table.

Monica turned toward him, surprised that she forgot the actual reason she was sitting in a coffee shop for a brief moment. “Jake,” she uttered, words escaping her. She slid further into the booth allowing him to sit beside her.

“Hello, Jake. This is my brother Scott and I’m Valerie.”

Valerie winked at Monica and then returned her full attention to Jake.

“Well,” Scott piped in. “We have to finish getting ready for the party. You two should join us. It will give Val an opportunity to catch up with you, Monica.”

“Oh, um, I don’t know.” Monica said, slightly shaking her head.

Valerie dug into her oversized purse that looked more like a duffle bag and yanked out a pen and pad of paper. She jotted something down and handed it to Monica. “Here’s my address. See you in a few hours.”

Opportunity to right some wrongs in her life presented itself unexpectedly. It was a chance she had to take.

“Jake? Would you like to go?”

“Sounds fun,” he said.

“Great, we’ll see you in a little bit,” Valerie said.



WC:751
Total:3178


** Image ID #1591886 Unavailable **
© Copyright 2009 Purple Celebrates (UN: purpleprincess at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Purple Celebrates has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/673637-Chapter-6