*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/675647-A-New-Cell-Phone-and-a-Discovery
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by kathyk
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1616904
A blog about life in my fifties.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#675647 added November 10, 2009 at 7:44pm
Restrictions: None
A New Cell Phone, and a Discovery
Today, I waited downstairs in the lobby for the UPS guy for about three hours because I didn't want to miss getting my new cell phone. Then I found out, just by chance chatting with another tenant who was coming into the building that I could have Manny program my cell phone number into the intercom buzzer system. I was stunned -- I had assumed that that could only be done with a land line. I just thought it had something to do with electricity, and if a phone was not the traditional kind that plugs into a jack in the wall, it wouldn't work with the buzzer system. All this time since I haven't had a land line anymore, I have been telling people that I don't know when they're pressing my apartment button to be buzzed in because since I don't have a land line anymore my phone is not connected to the intercom. I've been arranging with everyone who comes here to call me on my cell phone when they arrive, and then I walk down three flights of stairs to let them in. And all this time, I could have had my cell number linked to the buzzer system.





Well, better late than never. Manny did the programming, and I know it works because he tested it and my cell rang!





This is just huge for me -- just huge. This, and the fact that I can now afford a cell phone contract plan again after years of not being able to pay the bills. Anyway, UPS ended up not even coming today. I got an automated message that they will be here tomorrow. And tomorrow I will not have to wake up early and go sit downstairs with a book -- I can stay up here until my phone rings, and then go downstairs to sign for the package.






© Copyright 2009 kathyk (UN: kathykat at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
kathyk has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/675647-A-New-Cell-Phone-and-a-Discovery