*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/679586-Needs-Work
Rated: GC · Book · Biographical · #1478547
"All books are either dreams or swords."
#679586 added December 23, 2009 at 1:08pm
Restrictions: None
Needs Work
One of the assignments I have to finish for one of my Psych classes involves getting an interview from a professional in the chosen psychological career we've chosen to research.

First off, I suck at conversations on the phone. It was only a couple of years ago that I didn't have to work up the nerve to call the doctor to make an appointment or call the pizza guy for dinner. So the idea of giving an interview with a psychological professional scared (scares) the living crap out of me. But its an important part of the paper. Had to do it and bite the bullet.

Dr. Z was a very nice woman, giving her time while struggling a move from NY to Florida with a little baby in tow. She gave her answers honestly, and as an professional she was very kind for my lack of interviewing skills as I tried my best not to sound like an uncoordinated high school student.

I learned a great deal, and have ample information to place into my paper. She's originally from Canada, so her view of things from the other side was definitely refreshing in terms of education and how behind/ahead the American justice system is in terms of competence and such.

I also figured out a few things while doing the interview. 1) I will probably hold off applying to the FBI at the moment. Yes, my goal for the past couple of years has been to apply to the bureau and work in their behavioral analysis unit. The idea came from a friend of my uncle's, a passing comment that stuck with me for some time. However, considering where help is needed more in Forensic Psychology plus the life drain it puts on people, I really don't want to have to choose between my family and my work, not when I don't have to yet. 2) Working as a competency analyst in Civil Court would probably kill me emotionally. The idea of me having to chose where a child is placed in a custody hearing scares me more than a bullet. What if the information I receive is wrong, and the child is hurt in the process? Mentally, I don't think I have the armor for that yet. 3) Becoming a professor isn't looking too bad. I was worried about becoming a professor simply because of the publish-or-perish quality. However, looking at all the stressors I think that one would probably keep me away from the dark and gloomy side for a while.

All in all, the interview was a good experience, I just need more practice...which sounds so painful at the moment, lol.

© Copyright 2009 LdyPhoenix (UN: ldyphoenix at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LdyPhoenix has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/679586-Needs-Work