*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1521803-Dear-Me
Rated: ASR · Letter/Memo · Personal · #1521803
A letter written for "Dear Me" Contest.
Dear Me,

         In times like these, I don’t know whether to mentally kick you in the behind or hug you silly. Nevertheless, through all the fumbles and surprises you have made it through another whirlwind year. My God, girl! Twenty years, and your head is still firmly attached to your shoulders. Big cheers for some very near misses in 2008.

         Do not think however that you can now sit back out on the patio and take a lunch break. No ma’am! Dust yourself off and stretch out those sore muscles for the year of 2009 has arrived, and by the looks of things its going to be the best of your life.

         Now is not the season for lists, although I know deep down you’re just itching to write out your newly minted goals. New Year’s resolutions, my dear girl, are like a dozen long-stemmed red roses. They are vibrant bursts of beauty that smell of the coming spring, but will be wilted and dead by month’s end. Moreover, in the current state of economy everyone has to downsize including you. Limit yourself to one simple resolution, a declaration of will.

         Risk.

         A simple four-lettered word that carries so much weight that you’ve been afraid of it most of your life. It is said, however, that fortune favors the brave. My girl, you must look past the fear to the sea of possibilities beyond. Imagine how the world would be had those brave few not taken the immense risk they faced. You can achieve so much if you dare to take that one bold step forward.

         Risk your heart. I know how much of a chance it took for you to love your man once he found you. Never had you dreamed, given all your abusive experience with men that your heart would yearn for another like it does for him. As scary as this boundless love feels, you must go for all the glory, and get on that plane to meet him face to face. The thought of heartbreak scares you like no horror flick ever has, but fear earns you nothing but regret. You must trust in your love for each other that everything will be as you dreamed together. You’ve taken the first step towards happiness, baby girl. Now go the extra mile.

         Risk your pride. It doesn’t take a genius to realize that you’ve been holding yourself back from the people around you these past few years. Recluses are entertaining in theory, but you don’t have the mystique to pull off such a stigma with any sort of class. You’re a goofball, an ear to listen, a big sister, and a problem solver. Not everything can be done behind a laptop and a wireless internet connection. Interact with living, breathing people again. Step outside and breathe the fresh air you enjoy so much. Unfortunately, it is the human condition to judge one another, but don’t let that stop you. So what if you say something utterly stupid and fall flat on your face? Who cares that you’re not super model material? Pride can mend. Looking back on your life and asking “what if?” lasts forever.

         Risk your ideas. You’ve been blessed with a mind that never sleeps. Utilize it! The multitudes of story ideas swirling around in your head will drive you mad if you don't write them down. Yes, they are your babies, but all children have to leave home one day. People might not love your stories as much as you do, but writing is meant to be from the heart. Procrastinating as you do oh so well will not improve your craft. You will always run the risk of being slaughtered in a review. Swallow the bitter pill of disappointment and view harsh reviews with a student’s eye. Mistakes are the best way to learn, baby girl.

         Through the pains of adversity and the joyful tears of triumph, you’ve survived to tell the tale. Now more than ever is the time to be bold and risk all to reach your full potential. Writing this letter is your totem of inspiration, your way of shouting out to the world that fear will not keep you down. Make copies of this letter. Tape one above your bed, in the corner of your mirror, and a spare in the back pocket of your jeans. Always have this letter with you to remind you of the most important aspect of your resolution: You are worth the risk.

Sincerely,
Your Inner Voice
© Copyright 2009 LdyPhoenix (ldyphoenix at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1521803-Dear-Me