*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/680343-Turning-tides
Rated: GC · Book · Opinion · #1591550
One writer's journey
#680343 added December 18, 2009 at 6:43pm
Restrictions: None
Turning tides
Well it seems a few back to back days of awesomeness is not to be had. On my last excursion to HFCC, I thought I'd hang out in my truck until just before the test. Usually the door is locked until right at the moment the class starts, so I assumed today wouldn't be any different. Boy was I wrong! I turn the corner and am shocked that the door is partially open and not one person is in the hall. As I reach for the door, my professor is looking a bit miffed, and prevents me from going inside. It seems he cannot stay. His wife is labor at the hospital and he has to go. Fine, it's just writing an essay for the final, no biggie. Until he tells me that he would like me to be in charge of the class *Shock* Say what? He gives me instructions, waits a few extra minutes, and then makes the big announcement in class. A few people trickled in late, typical anyway. I hated all three prompts. *Laugh* Again, typical, but I chose a fitting one. I selected the first one, describing the most joyous day of my life, and wrote about the day Zak was born. Brownie points? One can hope.

After everyone finished their essay's, I took them upstairs to the English Dept, secretary. She tells me that my professor told her he had a few responsible students that he could hand over the class to. IE ~ old lady in the back of the class. Mwaahahahahahahaa

Here's hoping the delivery went smooth, and that I pass my final with flying colors. I'll have my results by 6pm Monday.

Maxine Says

I was planning to get a flu shot until I found out it isn't a kind of drink.

Here's a helpful winter tip: If you leave a tortilla out for a week, you've got yourself a handy little ice scraper.

It's beginning to cost a lot like Christmas!

If I find a magic hat, I'm not wasting it on a snowman. I'm heading straight for the casion!




~Here's my take on 2009 ~

Another year has passed. Hard to believe we are headed into a new decade, but 2010 is breathing down our necks.

This year brought struggles, joys, sorrows and everything in between. If you were one of the lucky ones, you still have your job, your family is healthy, and you can take comfort in your friends and family, knowing they will always be there to lean on.

For many, it wasn’t a year filled with happiness.

I myself have struggled with finding a new friend only to lose them a few short months later. I find that because of that friendship, I have gained four new ones, unexpected, but very meaningful. How is that even possible?

I’ve watched a family lose a beloved mother, hit rock bottom more than once, and yet they were able to turn around and find hope. Remarkable, amazing and very heart-warming to be able to be there through it all, to know that hope is alive and well.

Through darkness and tragedy there is light and hope can be found in one another. All we have to do is look for it. There lies the key. If we don’t open our eyes and look for it, we’ll never see it, missing out on one of the most precious gifts there is. It is too easy to lose ourselves in grief, to hardship and desperation, in the daily struggles that come into our lives that make us question why we even bother. To face life, to go head on into the unknown, clinging to that last shred of hope is difficult at best, but if we don’t try, we lose. We lose a part of one another, of ourselves, and a chunk of that light that guides us.

When you feel as though you can no longer move forward, that you are beaten and there is nowhere to turn, remember the child who has lost their mother, a grieving spouse, the thousands of homeless, those struggling to make ends meet because they lack a job and all those who battle illness. Remember the families separated by jobs, distance, or war.

Take a look around and find that hope. We all possess that light inside of us, the one that lets us forget our own troubles and help those in need. We are capable of stepping up, of rescuing a friend or loved one, becoming the light that brings the promise of a new day to those less fortunate. All we have to do is believe.

I believe in hope, in miracles, in family, and the friends that stand by me no matter what. I believe that paths cross for a reason, and there is no point in questioning the why's of it all. I believe that we all serve a purpose in this world, no matter how short our time is, we touch peoples lives in very dramatic ways. Making the most of what we have is vital and showcases our true inner self. No matter how bad things seem, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. If we choose to give up, we not only fail our family and friends, but ourselves, extinguishing our true potential.


~~off my soap box now~~

IT'S FRIDAY BITCHES *Wink*

© Copyright 2009 Purple is House Florent (UN: purpleprincess at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Purple is House Florent has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/680343-Turning-tides