*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/682021-Episode-6---Definition-of-Insanity
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1631928
This gives a little backstory before my Season 8 Virtual Series begins.
#682021 added January 1, 2010 at 10:10pm
Restrictions: None
Episode 6 – Definition of Insanity
Slayers Virtual Season 8

Episode 6 – Definition of Insanity

Starring:

Matt Long as Alex Sanders
Lizzy Caplan as Eliza Sanders
Nanako Matsushima as Shina Taji
Jennifer Ehle as Jennifer Sanderson
And Johnny Depp as David, the Archangel
Navi Rawat as Dana

Written by Kelley Hawkins
Edited by Melody Nation

Disclaimer: The major characters in these episodes/stories are the creations of Joss Whedon and any and all entities who have a share in them such as Twentieth Century Fox, UPN, Warner Bros or Mutant Enemy Productions. The stories are written by fans and are not intended for profit or to infringe upon or undermine the established copyright of those mentioned above. The situations depicted in these stories (sexual or otherwise) are not intended to harm the reputations of those actors associated with the characters involved. The only things that are ©2004 are those characters that are the creation of the Slayers VS8 staff and the original plotlines of the stories.

Teaser

The 10-year old girl looked up as the beautiful woman smiled down her. The woman had medium length brown hair, the same shade as her own dark tresses. Her eyes were a soft brown. The same color as the girl. The girl took the woman’s offered hand as they walked into the supermarket. The woman found an empty cart and they walked into the market. Dana and her mother, Summer, loved to go to the supermarket. Summer always let Dana accompany her to the grocery store while her grandmother, Nell watched over baby Anna.

As they made their way to the bread aisle, a pudgy man with brown hair follows them with a cart of his own. He does not notice the loving mother and daughter at first until he reaches the hamburger buns section. Summer appeared to look at the nutritional information on the back of a pack of wheat rolls. The man glanced over at her, his face unreadable and casual. Dana quickly looked over at him and automatically smiled. The man flashed a smile of his own.

After Summer paid for their purchases, she and Dana pushed the cart to their car and placed the many bags in the trunk of their car. Summer told Dana to get in the front seat and fasten her seat belt. Summer soon followed. As Summer steered the car toward home, the pudgy man with brown hair followed them in his own unnoticeable car.

* * * * *

Jeffrey Grant watched as the beautiful woman and the young girl carried the grocery bags into their moderate sized home. Jeffrey took in the scene around the house. His eyes focused on the window to the left of the porch. The window sat opened blowing the blue Priscilla curtains in the wind. An evil grin slid over the man’s face as he anticipated his night ahead.

* * * * *

That same night, Dana lay down on her bed and cuddled her small stuffed bear she affectionately named Wilbur. Baby Anna slept on her stomach in the baby crib next to Dana’s bed. She loved to watched Anna sleep. Dana drifted off to sleep that night with happy thoughts hoping she would dream about vampires and werewolves.

* * * * *

After midnight, the man, clad all in black, crept up to the still open window outside the Newman’s house. He removed the screen that covered the open window and then climbed into the house. He looked back outside to make sure no one noticed him enter the residence. All was quiet outside. He slowly crept into the living room and looked around in the darkness. His eyes quickly adjusted to the dark. He always felt that he belonged with the night. Slowly, he walked up the stairs to find the master bedroom. He must kill the parents first so he could take the girl with him. When one of the stairs creaked underneath him, he paused during ascent and stood listening in the silent house. There was no sound from upstairs. He continued to climb the stairs and once at the top he looked right then left. He looked back to the right and then walked that way. He quietly opened the bedroom door at the end of the hall. He peered into the darkened bedroom and found two sleeping forms. He approached the bed. The woman stirred a bit but then settled back in her previous position. Without hesitating, the man raised the knife and before he could slash it into the sleeping woman, the man sat up beside her and looked up at the man. He gasped audibly in the silent room. The man above the bed was quick even for his weight and he over to the other side of the bed before the woman’s husband could respond. He placed a hand over the man’s mouth and pressed the knife against his juggler vein.

“If you save anything, your wife’s gets it.”

The man removed the knife and roughly jerked the man from his bed. The wife still slept peacefully oblivious to what was taking place around her. The intruder led the man into the bathroom and closed the door. He flipped the light switch to on.

“Get in the bathtub,” the man demanded as he removed a gun from the back of his jeans and pointed it at him.

The man climbed into the bathtub, as he prayed silently to himself. The intruder approached the man and smiled evilly at him.

“Get on your knees and pray to your God that I will let you live!”

The man did exactly what the intruder requested and as he was down on his knees, he plunged the knife into the husband’s calf muscle. He screamed out in total agony. Then the intruder raised the gun, shot him in the head, and quickly turned back toward the bedroom. The woman was gone.

Act One

Buffy approached Dana. They able to move her from the jail cell in the basement to a small apartment off the Slayers quarters. Dana sat on the couch holding a remote and flipping through the channels. Dana glanced up at Buffy who was smiling down at her. Dana’s hair had her hair pulled back from her face in a ponytail. She appeared calm. As Buffy approached the couch, Dana suddenly stood up and Buffy jumped. She didn’t mean to jump, it was just a natural reaction. The last time Buffy visited Dana in the jail cell, she had physically removed the girl’s hands from around her throat.

Dana smiled and put up her hands in surrender.

“I just wanted to...welcome you. I didn’t mean to scare you,” Dana whispered.

“I wasn’t scared, just reacting a little too...shall we say on the defense.”

Dana looked down at her feet and then sat back on the couch.

“The doctor just left,” Dana said.

“Oh, yeah! How did today’s session go?” Buffy asked.

“I still have a long way to go but she thinks that I can...” Dana’s voice trailed off.

“You’ll be fine,” Buffy said as she grabbed one of Dana’s hands. Dana flinched but let Buffy take her hand.

“I hope so. My dreams are not as bad lately. Since I’ve been here,” Dana said.

“I am so glad, Dana. I want you to feel welcomed here. You are welcomed here. I hope you know that.” Buffy said, flashing a warm smile. “I wanted to talk to about something,” Buffy continued. “In addition to you talking with Dr. Travis everyday, I also want you to begin working with another Slayer, Faith.”

Dana looked at Buffy nervously.

“You haven’t met her yet but I think she can really help you understand what you are, Dana. What we all are,” Buffy said.

“When will I be able to get out of this room?” Dana asked.

“Well, Faith is going to take you on a little excursion, actually,” Buffy said.

“Excursion?” Dana asked, nervously.

“Oh, don’t worry, you won’t leave the school. Faith wants to take you out of this room and show you our weapons room.”

Dana smiled and then her eyes glazed over. “Are there any...saws in there?”

Buffy’s face changed to a shocked expression. “No, Dana. No saws,” Buffy said.

Dana’s smile reappeared on her face. “Okay, I’m ready whenever she is.”

* * * * *

Faith walked into the Slayer school and headed to the computer room to find Willow. Sure enough, the dark haired Slayer found Willow in front of her computer reading something on the screen.

“What’s so interesting, Red?” Faith said.

Willow glanced briefly away from the screen. “There have been some murders in the Cleveland Heights area over the past two weeks. I wanted to research this some more to make sure there is not something supernatural going on here.”

“Ah!” Faith exclaimed.

Willow closed the screen and turned to look at Faith. “How have you been, Faith?” Willow asked.

“I’ve been okay lately but I wanted to ask you a favor!”

“Yeah?”

“Could you find out what is going on with the cops...you know if they are searching for me.”

Willow smiled. “I’m way ahead of you. Actually, Giles is ahead of both of us. He asked me to keep an eye on things,” Willow said as she pulled a folder from the drawer behind her. She handed the file to Faith who looked nervously at the thick folder.

“So, there’s a lot on me then,” Faith said.

Willow looked down at the file. “Yes, you were in a maximum security prison f-for twenty years to life.”

“Why didn’t you come to me with this file earlier?” Faith asked.

Willow stared at Faith trying to decide what to say. Finally, Willow spoke. “Well, Faith...G-Giles and I were trying to handle the situation without...upsetting you...” Willow stopped when she saw Faith’s expression.

“Yeah, don’t upset the psycho Slayer chick, right?” Faith said sarcasm clear in her voice.

“Faith, no, it’s not like that.”

“So, what is it like, Red?”

“Well, I have been working on erasing it,” Willow said, her voice was very confident.

“Erasing what?” Faith asked, clearly confused.

“Everything! Your arrests, your p-prison record. All of it,” Willow said.

“Does Buffy know about this?” Faith asked.

“Yes, in fact, Buffy asked me to do it.”

Faith looked down at the floor. Her thoughts quickly switched to David. Then, what she was trying to do for Jade. She couldn’t think about that now and what she was trying to do would help Buffy in the end.

“B!” Faith said, her voice cracking with emotion.

Willow’s expression softened. She stood up, moved toward Faith, and touched her shoulder.

“Buffy has always cared about you Faith. You know that, right? She never gave up on you until almost at the end when she fought for her life against you...and then...” Willow stopped speaking and looked into Faith’s eyes. She saw a glistening of tears. Impulsively, Willow reached out and hugged Faith. Faith hugged her back and then pulled away from Willow feeling suddenly uncomfortable.

“Thanks, Will,” Faith whispered. “For everything.”

“Everything will work out. Don’t you worry,” Willow told Faith.

Faith smiled through her tears and slapped Willow playfully on the arm. “Yeah, I know it will with you behind the wheel, Willow.”

“Well, actually I’m all keyboardy, but I-I get your point,” Willow said, smirking.

Buffy walked in the computer room just as Willow hugged Faith. Instead of walking in, she paused at the doorway and watched them. She felt no jealousy or worry. Instead, she felt glad the two women were becoming friends. Once, Willow finished talking, Buffy walked fully into the room. They two women looked up and greeted her with a smile.

“Just the gal I was looking for,” Buffy said, looking at Faith.

“Yeah, B. What’s ya need?”

“I told you about Dana, right? I think she is ready to meet you. She has been making great progress with the psychiatrist Giles hired from England. Did you know Mrs. Travis had counseled some Watcher’s, a few Slayers, and potential Slayers?”

“No, Buffy, I didn’t know that. She must really be helping Dana because she didn’t try to jump me the other day when I went in to try mediation with her last week,” Willow said.

“Meditation, Will what are you doing? She just got here! Try to lay off the meditation woo-woo for a while. At least until she stops seeing demons and vampires every time she falls asleep. She doesn’t need at witch...”

“For one thing, Buffy...” Willow yelled. “Get off my case! And another, Giles said I could,” Willow said, beginning to pout.

Buffy regretted her words when she saw how it affected the redhead. “I’m sorry, Will,” Buffy said, sadly. “It is just so important for Dana to trust us and I’m afraid that spells may frighten away all the progress we’ve made.”

“I did not do any spells, just meditation. I thought it would help her relax a-and you know what? It worked! She started showing signs of improvement after the first session. I went back in to check on her after she fell asleep that night and she seemed at peace...n-no dreams,” Willow said, her voice rising.

“Faith, do you wanna help me here?” Buffy asked.

“Hey, leave me out of this. I’m Switzerland over here!” Faith exclaimed.

Buffy huffed and then turned to Faith clearly annoyed with the redheaded witch. “Let’s go meet Dana.”

“Yeah, I’m right behind ya, B.” Faith said and glanced at Willow’s aggravated expression.

After Buffy and Faith left the computer room, Willow walked over to her computer and began typing on the keyboard as Dawn and Xander walked in the room.

“Hey, Will!” Xander said. “Can you help me understand something? Did you go in Dana’s cell alone? Are you crazy?”

Then Dawn. “Yeah, Willow that was kinda dangerous considering she has Slayer powers and all.”

“Shut up and leave me alone!” Willow yelled, feeling like she was being ganged up on all of a sudden, first, Buffy and now Dawn and Xander. She only wanted to help the young Slayer and now they were symbolically tying her to a stake and burning her to death. Then, Willow stood up and walked out of the room leaving Dawn and Xander staring at her in total shock.

* * * * *

Buffy and Faith made their way toward the Slayers quarters and were stopped my Vi and Rhona.

“Are we going patrolling tonight? Shina said we were. What time?” Rhona asked Buffy.

“Sundown, of course,” Faith answered for Buffy.

“Cool, you coming?” Vi asked Faith.

“No, I’m gonna be working with the new chick a little. Trying to help her adjust to her new role here.”

“So how’s that going anyway,” Vi asked, turning to Buffy.

“Better! She doesn’t want to kill everyone who walks in the room now. Progress has been slow but she is progressing faster than I thought she could but I think that is because of her Slayer powers.”

“I’m glad to hear that,” Rhona said. “Don’t need a psycho Slayer trying to kill us in our sleep. Oh wait, sleep what’s that?” Rhona finished, laughing briefly.

“Yeah, the non-sleep life of a Slayer,” Buffy said, as she remembered falling asleep in her first classes of the day at good ole Sunnydale High.

“Well, you do get to sleep in on Saturday,” Faith said, laughing.

“Not with Shina in there. She is up by six every damn day!” Rhona said, groaning.

Buffy and Faith laughed as Buffy said, “That girl can operate on no sleep.”

After Vi and Rhona left to go to their “History of Demons” class with Giles, Buffy and Faith continued toward Dana’s rooms. Buffy knocked softly on her door and then unlocked it. They found Dana on the floor with jagged slits from the bottom of her wrist and about two inches up her arms.

“Oh my God!” Buffy exclaimed as she ran toward the unconscious girl laying in a pool of her own blood. “Call Giles and 911!”

Faith ran toward the door and down the hallway. Her heart raced in her chest as she made her way toward Giles’ office. She burst in there and Giles jumped as if startled from the sudden interruption.

“We need you Giles! Dana slit her wrists! She’s bleeding!” Faith yelled.

Giles did not hesitate and picked up the phone to dial 911. “Yes, we need an ambulance here,” Giles said into the phone, then gave the dispatcher the address, and then explained the situation to her. He then hung up, dialed Mrs. Travis, notified her of the situation, and asked her to meet them at the hospital.

Giles rushed toward the door with Faith following close at his heels. He turned to Faith. “Please notify Willow, Dawn and Xander!”

“Yeah, I’m own it,” Faith said as she rushed toward the computer room.

Act Two

Faith found Xander first and when he saw her expression, her rushed to her.

“Faith what’s wrong?”

“It’s Dana, Xand. She’s slit her wrists!” Faith said, tears springing once more to her eyes.

“What! Oh God!” Xander said his voice cracking.

“Yeah, Giles call for an ambulance. Buffy’s with her now!” Faith said and without thinking, she moved into Xander’s arms. He pulled her close and hugged her without hesitation.

At that moment, Buffy walked into the kitchen. Bright red blood covered the middle of her off-white cashmere sweater. She felt a sudden surge of anger and even jealousy when she saw Xander holding Faith in his arms but then cursed herself for those thoughts right now.

“Where’s Willow? She wasn’t in the computer room!” Buffy asked, trying to keep her voice steady.

“Dawn and I made her mad and she left,” Xander said, moving toward her.

“Dammit!” Buffy exclaimed. We could use her right about now. Then Buffy remembered Dawn. “Where’s Dawn?”

“In the computer room,” Xander said.

Buffy gave Xander an icy glare and rushed away from the kitchen. Xander noticed her glare but dismissed it since there were more important things to worry about.

* * * * *

Buffy found Dawn at a computer and rushed to her.

“Dana cut her wrists!” Buffy exclaimed, not bothering to soften the blow at all.

“What!”

“An ambulance is on its way,” Buffy said and before she could finish the sentence, they both heard the sirens in the distance and quickly becoming louder as it approached the school.

Dawn rushed to out of the computer room and walked toward the entry hall. She opened the door as two medics carried a stretcher with their other equipment. As Buffy came into the entryway, her face was pale as she stared at the man and the woman as she rushed into the school. As Buffy saw all the equipment she was immediately carried into past, when medics had to come to try to help her mother. Buffy bit her lip and told herself not to cry. Instead, she led them to Dana’s room passing Xander in the hall but not bothering to look at him.

* * * * *

Dana heard Buffy and the paramedics as they walked in the room. Giles sat beside her holding her head in his lap. Dana tried to wake up but she couldn’t get her eyes to open. She opened them slightly and looked up at Giles.

“Hands...and wrists. Have to get home. Doesn't hurt if you hold still,” Dana whispered.

Giles reached out and touched the young girl’s shoulder. “Hold on, little one. Help is here.”

Dana smiled briefly and closed her eyes once more.

The paramedics rushed in and began to work on the injured girl. Buffy walked in behind them and Giles stood up, rushed to her, and gathered her into his arms. Buffy cried into his chest. The paramedics had an IV and the girl on the stretcher in less than five minutes. They wheeled her out of the room as Giles and Buffy followed behind them. They began to ask them questions as they rushed toward the ambulance.

* * * * *

Once at the hospital, Giles dealt with the legalities and insurance with the admissions nurse and Buffy, Xander, Faith and Dawn sat anxiously in the ER emergency room.

Buffy had her head down resting on both hands as Xander approached her. He sat down beside her and touched her upper back. Buffy looked up and the minute she saw the concern on his face she literally melted into his arms. He held her as she cried. It has been a long time since she gave into her feelings and it felt good to cry. Dawn walked up and sat on Buffy’s other side.

“What happened, Buffy? I thought Dana was going to be all right.

“So did I, Dawn. We should have never left her alone.”

“What did she use?” Faith asked from the other side of the waiting room.

“A blunt plastic piece broke off the garbage can in her bathroom. She broke it! I should have used a metal can. Why didn’t I use a metal can?” Buffy said, he voice cracking on each whispered word.

“No, Buffy!” Giles exclaimed as he made his way over to the weeping woman. “She would have found some other way. Dana is not stable. She should have been in a hospital equipped to handle her situation. I wronged her by not putting her in one,” Giles said, grief filling his handsome features.

Dawn stood up, went to Giles, and hugged him. “It’s not your fault either, Giles. Dana wanted to end all of her pain.”

* * * * *

In the emergency room, doctors worked to control the excessive bleeding and began to stitch Dana’s slashed wrists. Dana lay on the hospital bed still passed out. As Dana slept on, oblivious to what was going on around her, she dreamed.

In her dream could see herself as a 10 year old girl sleeping safely in her bed but then a noise from her parents bedroom awoke the little girl from a sound sleep. The noise reverberated through the house. Then she heard her father scream. Dana watched as the young girl covered her head with the covers. She thought she heard something in her room and then heard the closet door open and a few minutes later, it closed. Then her mother was beside her bed.

“You have to hide, Dana!”

Dana did not move.

“NOW!” Her mother whispered and grown up Dana watched as her mother pulled the young girl from her bed and just as her mother pushed her under the bed, the doorknob rattled loudly in the quiet room. Then the door exploded as the man kicked his way into the bedroom. He saw Dana’s mother standing by the young girl’s bed. The man raised his knife and moved toward the frightened woman. When this actually happened, Dana was under the bed but now she was a witness to the murder of her beloved mother. She watched as the man raised the knife and plunged it into the woman’s heart. He then ripped her gown, moved the knife around her left breast, and practically cut it off her body. The woman screamed in agony.

Dana, the little girl, stayed under the bed not making a sound. Dana, the grown woman, stood watching it all taking place before her eyes. Then she remembered Anna. She looked toward the crib and baby Anna was gone. She was no longer in her crib. This shocked grown Dana but then turned back to watch her mother drop to the floor. The man took out his gun and shot her mother in the forehead. He moved to the baby crib, looked inside, and then knelled to look under the bed. He found a whimpering little girl with brown hair and frightened eyes staring back at him. He grabbed her small hand and pulled her from under the bed. He pulled a dark pillowcase from under his jacket and put it over her head. He picked the child up and carried her out of her room under his arm like a football. The grown woman, Dana watched as the man carried the little girl Dana out of the room then she ran to the baby crib. Baby Anna was nowhere to be found. Dana moved to the closet door and opened the door. A pink blanket rested on the closet floor with a Baby Anna wrapped inside. Dana could not touch Anna but looked at her in awe. Dana, the grown woman realized that her baby sister was alive somewhere in the world. She made a decision right then to live and find her sister. Anna needed her.

* * * * *

Buffy paced the ER waiting room as the others sat in the chairs. Xander thumbed through a magazine, Dawn slept on his shoulder and Faith went to buy a cup of coffee. Giles sat in the corner of the waiting room talking on the phone with Wesley. No one was able to get a hold of Willow. She turned her cell phone off and she was not at her apartment or at least she wouldn’t answer her phone.

Xander looked up at Buffy and saw the worry once more etched on her face. He stood up and wrapped his arms around her from the back. She melted into his chest. His gently kissed the top of her head. She turned around to face him and then he held her close.

“Buffy, you are worried about this girl aren’t you. I mean really worried.”

Buffy nodded. “Xander, there is something about Dana that makes me feel like a mother hen. I feel that I need to protect her and show her what it is like to be a part of a family. According to Wesley, Dana had experienced a great amount of torture after that man...” Buffy paused and then continued in a whisper “...butchered her family.”

Faith walked into the waiting room and looked at Xander as held a frantic Buffy in his arms. Without thinking, Faith said, “Gee, why don’t you guys go find a closet or something!”

Buffy turned toward the dark haired Slayer and glared at her but did not say anything in retaliation.

Giles stood up after he disconnected his call with Wesley.

“Did you find out anything more from Wesley?” Buffy asked.

“Not only that, according to Dana’s sanitarium records, she had tried this once before in exactly the same way.”

“With a crushed waste basket?” Buffy asked.

“No, she used the plastic part of a cheap ink pen that an orderly had dropped in her room.”

“See,” Xander said rubbing Buffy’s arm. “This girl was determined and would try to use any method...”

Xander’s voice trailed off as he saw a doctor heading their way. Buffy looked up to see what he was looking at and then walked to meet the doctor halfway. Giles walked with her.

“Are you responsible for Dana Monroe?” the doctor asked.

“Yes,” Giles answered.

“She has been moved to a private room with a nursing staff watching her around the clock. We were able to repair the wounds on her wrists. She is going to be fine physically,” the doctor reassured them.

Buffy breathed a sigh of relief. “Can I see her, doctor?”

“Are you Buffy?” the doctor asked.

Buffy seemed surprised and told him she was.

“She has been asking for you. She needs to tell you something and claims its urgent. But only one of you are able to see her right now.”

“I’ll go,” Buffy said.

The doctor nodded and then led her down a hallway. Once Buffy was shown into Dana’s room she noticed that a nurse sat in a chair beside the young Slayers bed. Buffy approached the bed and touched Dana’s shoulder tenderly. That tender touch caused Dana to open her eyes.

“Buffy?”

“I’m here, Dana.”

“I’m so sorry, Buffy. So scared! Just so scared!” Dana whispered, her throat sounding dry.

“I know sweetie. I know. You need to rest right now and I will be there to take care of you, okay?”

“Anna.” Dana whispered her anguish clear.

“Anna? Who’s Anna?” Buffy asked, clearly confused.

“My little sister. She is alive. I know it now and I need to find her. She needs me.”

“How do you know she is alive, Dana?”

”I had a little dream,” Dana whispered almost too low for Buffy to hear but she did. Dana then closed her eyes and fell into a deep sleep once more. The beeping of all the monitors filled Buffy’s head. She hated hospitals. She sat in the chair beside the nurse and waited for a few minutes. Dana continued to sleep so Buffy left the room. Buffy contemplated what Dana told her. Her sister Anna was alive out there and probably alone without her mother and father. She promised herself that they would help Dana find Anna once Dana was able. Anna was the key to help Dana heal her soul just as Dawn healed hers. Buffy smiled knowingly to herself.

Act Three

After Buffy saw Dana, she went to find Xander and the others. Night finally settled over Cleveland and Buffy had made a decision. She was going to stay with Dana during the night so she would find a familiar face if she were to wake up.

Xander sat on the couch in the waiting room between Dawn and Faith. Dawn was now awake and thumb wrestling with Xander. Xander declared himself thumb-wrestling champion of Ohio as Buffy approached them.

“I’ve already discussed it with the nurse but I am going to stay tonight with Dana. I want her to wake up to a familiar face.”
Giles rose from his chair and once he was at Buffy’s side, touched her arm gently.

“That would be wise, Buffy,” Giles said. “For her to wake in a hospital room with several strangers could be further stressful for her.”

“There’s another reason,” Buffy said, looking down at the floor.

Xander, Faith and Dawn approached the couple in the hallway then so they could hear, too.

“Dana woke up for a moment while I was in there. She said she had a dream and she thinks her sister, Anna is alive. Isn’t it true that Dana was kidnapped by the psycho and found days later wandering the streets of LA?”

“Yes, I believe so,” Giles said.

“Well, what if she didn’t know that her sister was alive. Once they found her wandering the streets, the authorities took her to that sanitarium and she remained there ever since. Why would child services have tried to contact her, a 10-year old, to let her know that her baby sister survived the attack on her family? What could a 10-year old have done at that point? Especially one who had been driven insane by her kidnapper,” Buffy finished.

Xander, Dawn and Faith all shook their heads in agreement. Giles shrugged his shoulders. “Buffy, if what you are saying is true, we may have another Slayer on our hands,” Giles said.

The group all looked to Giles with shocked expressions on their faces.

“How could that be?” Faith asked suddenly thinking about Jade.

“Wesley and I have researched the Slayer lineage since Willow’s spell activated all the Slayers. During our research, we found that only a few Slayers have a sister. One sister pair resides in Africa and the other resides in England. When Willow completed the spell, both sisters activated as Slayers. Unfortunately, during our research we found out why all of the previous activated Slayers conveniently did not have sisters,” Giles said, pausing for a moment to clean his glasses.

“Why?” Dawn asked.

“One of the sisters would die before the other inherited the Slayer powers.”

Faith inhaled sharply and then said, “What about half-sisters?”

“We haven’t studied that angle as of yet. Why do you ask?” Giles asked, curiously.

Faith looked down and thought about telling them about Jade but at the last minute decided she should not. “I was just curious, G-Man, that’s all.”

Giles stared at Faith for a moment and then continued. “Of course the sister inheritance did not apply to Buffy and Dawn because Dawn...well Dawn was created from a mystic energy rather than the normal procreation method. But as we all have learned, this mystic energy mixed with Buffy’s blood created awesome powers in Dawn.”

Buffy did not speak for several seconds and then asked, “So you think Anna, if she really is alive is a Slayer and according to how history repeats itself...” Buffy looked at Dawn. “Dana or Anna may die soon?”

“We are not sure about that yet because Willow changed the whole Slayer lineage when she performed the spell that gave them all the power.”

“Well, have you followed up on the sisters in Africa and England?” Dawn asked.

“U-uh y-yes that is what Wesley and I were discussing earlier this afternoon. The younger sister in London was killed in a car accident last Wednesday.”

Faith stared at Giles in shock. Buffy sat down in the nearest chair and rested her head in her hands. She wiped her face and then ran her hands through her hair.

“So are you saying that Anna will die, maybe even before Dana could find her?” Buffy whispered.

Giles nodded and then said, “That is a very distinct possibility.”

“Why?” Faith asked. “Why can’t two Slayers, even if one of them is a potential Slayer, exist together?”

“Wesley continues to research whenever he is able and I continue as well. There may be more out there that we don’t know about.”

“Then we need to find Anna, now!” Buffy exclaimed.

“Who’s Anna?” Willow asked as she walked up to the group.

Xander and Buffy smiled at her and then hugged her together. Willow grinned.

“I’m sorry!” Buffy told Willow.

“Yeah, well, me too!” Willow said. “I hate it when we argue; my stomach gets all flippy and floppy.”

Buffy smiled.

“What did I miss?” Willow asked.

As Giles began to explain the Slayer lineage situation to her, Buffy took Dawn over to the side.

“Don’t worry about anything, okay. Since we are more sisters at heart than anything I think we are both safe,” Buffy told Dawn.

“Yes, but Buffy, you’ve already died...twice!”

* * * * *

After the others left the hospital, Buffy sat in the chair on the other side of the nurse and watched Dana sleep. She felt glad to be here alone with her own thoughts. So were either herself or Dawn meant to die? Could they not exist together? Dawn may not have inherited her powers, Slayer or Wiccan, the normal way but she still could be at risk. On the other hand, she may have to die...again to fulfill some kind of sick, twisted destiny or morbid reality.

Suddenly, Buffy heard a commotion in the room next door. It sounded as if a tray fell to the floor, metal clanging loudly. Instinctively, she jumped to her feet. The nurse, who dozed in her chair, sprang to life.

“What was that,” she asked.

“I don’t know. Stay here!” Buffy told her.

Buffy opened the outer door of the room and walked quietly to the room next door. The door was slightly ajar and Buffy peered into the room. A figure lay on the bed not moving. All she could make out were the legs. As Buffy opened the door wider she gasped when she saw that the throat had blood on it and two marks.

Buffy stood in the middle of the room now, looking around. “Vampire! Dammit, can’t you leave me alone in a hospital?” Buffy said as she turned around and immediately placed a high punch to the male vampire, clad in a hospital gown. He previously hid behind the door. The vampire fell back slightly but immediately charged her again. She pulled a stake from her pocket and just as he started to retaliate, he instantly turned to dust.

“Can’t even hide in a hospital!” Buffy exclaimed.

* * * * *
When Faith reached her apartment, she immediately dialed the phone number that Jade left her. After four rings, she received her voicemail. Faith left a cryptic message, “Call me, we have a problem,” then hung up.

Was Jade a Slayer, too? Faith wondered. They had the same mother so it made her wonder if that is how the lineage ran, from mothers to daughters. Then why wouldn’t Jade simply take care of David herself?

* * * * *

Willow drove Xander home and Dawn left with Giles to go home. Faith left by herself way before the others. The day was long and the night would be longer.

As Willow drove toward Xander’s apartment, Xander became lost in his own thoughts. He worried about Buffy and that whole sister/slayer thing. However, if she already died and Willow brought her back, what would happen now? Would Buffy or Dawn have to die?
He decided to ask Willow her thoughts.

“So, Willow. This whole sister/slayer death thing, what do you think about it?”

“Well, It worries me. Buffy already died twice but then I brought her back. What if she was meant to die to fulfill some kind of plan?”

“Yeah, Will. That worries me too. We did that! Your magick and then we found that Osiris thingy...” Xander’s voice trailed off.

“So, how did it feel seeing Anya again?”

Xander remained quiet for a moment. “It hurt me at first. You know that even in death she would want to...well...torture me because Buffy and I...well we are starting something special between us.”

“I used to pray to the Goddess that Tara would come to me. But it has never happened. I only want to know that she passed on in peace and that...s-she’s happy, you know,” Willow said and her voice cracked with emotion.

“Yeah, I know. When Anya came back to haunt me, I have to admit I was frightened at first when I didn’t know who the spirit was but then I think when I saw her and I knew that she would be at peace someday, I felt like I could finally let go,” Xander said.

“Closure. You never had true closure with her.”

Xander shook his head in agreement, as Willow glanced over at him.

“I know you really loved Anya a-and I’m sorry that she and I did not get along at times...”

Xander interrupted her and held up his hand. “Believe me, Will, I can understand why others had a “getting along issue” with Anya. She was always honest and...literal.”
Willow laughed and Xander joined her.

“I bet you wanted to tape her mouth shut sometimes,” Willow said trying to talk between peals of laughter.

“Yep!” Xander said and laughed some more. “No offense, Anya,” Xander said to the heavens.

Willow laughed then and then quickly sobered.

“Have you and Buffy talked about her “visit?” Willow asked.

“Not exactly.”

“Why not?”

“It’s kinda the sore subject of the week right now,” Xander said.

“Ah! So what did Anya think about you knew fangled eye?”

* * * * *

When Giles and Dawn arrived to the house, Dawn told Giles that she had to finish her homework.

“Good. Once you are finished, I need you to help me with further research about Slayer sisters,” Giles said.

“Yeah, sure! No problem,” Dawn said.

As Giles began to walk toward his study, Dawn touched his arm. “What do you think it means for me and Buffy since Buffy died and then was mystically brought back? Do you think one of us is meant to die?”

Giles lowered his head and then removed his glasses before answering. “I am not sure, Dawn. I don’t know. But I intend to find out and you will help me.”

Dawn smiled at Giles and then ran up the stairs to finish her homework.

Act Four

Buffy sat beside Dana’s bed and dozed in the chair. She felt a hand on her arm. Buffy jarred awake and saw Dana smiling at her.

“Dana, you’re awake. How are you feeling?” Buffy asked.

“Better. Much better,” Dana said and then quickly looked away when Buffy tried to make eye contact with her. Buffy quickly reached over and touched her hand.

“Dana,” Buffy whispered.

Dana turned to face her and looked Buffy in the eyes. “I’m so sorry that I did this,” Dana said as she held up her bandages arms. “I can’t describe to you how scared I’ve been. For so long I’ve felt like I’ve been locked away from the world and even myself. I wanted so much to work on getting better here and then I had the same dream.”

“What dream?” Buffy asked. “Will it help to talk to me about it?”

Dana paused for a moment and as Buffy looked into Dana’s eyes, they appeared clear and lucid. Buffy did not remember seeing that in her eyes before. She knew that Dana had made a turning point in her life.

“Well, the first dream I had was about the ah, killer who killed my parents and then tortured me in a whiskey warehouse.”

“Did you know that he is in jail now and he can never hurt you again?”

“Yes, Mr. Giles told me,” Dana said. “But I don’t think I will ever feel safe again?”

“Yes, but now you have the power to fight him or anyone else who tries to hurt you.”

“I know. Do you know what the definition of insanity is?”

Buffy thought a moment and then shook her head back and forth.

“Having the strength but not the power!” Dana exclaimed.

“We can help you find the power a-and your sister, Anna,” Buffy told Dana.

Dana’s face instantly brightened at the mention of her sister.

“So you were 10 when all of this happened. How old was Anna?”

“Well, she was almost three-years old when that man killed my parents. So she will be almost thirteen now,” Dana said. “She must feel as alone as I do right now.”

“Maybe or maybe not,” Buffy said. “She may be adopted and living with really wonderful parents.”

“I hope so,” Dana said. “But I need to get out of this hospital, like now!” Dana said.

Buffy looked at Dana almost shocked with her assertion.
“Are you sure, Dana?” Buffy asked.

“I’m ready to live, Buffy, and finding my sister is the first part of my new life,” Dana said.

Buffy smiled. “I’ll make it happen, I promise.”

* * * * *

Anna Monroe climbed out the “Home Shelter for Girls” window and then jumped to tree nearby. Once her feet hit the ground, she grabbed her gym bag and began to run. She looked back over her shoulder to make sure no one saw her leave. She ran toward the bus stop. She had just enough money in her pocket to make it back to Los Angeles.

Anna realized that running away from the shelter could be very dangerous for her but she knew she could protect herself. Recently, while playing on the softball team for school, Anna felt strong and she used that strength to protect herself from the bullies in the shelter. She only had to hurt one older girl who thought that Anna should do all her chores for her. Now, she’s shown all the respect that she has so long deserved.

Once Anna saw the bus stop in view, she began to relax and to feel better about her decision. She knew she must find the answers about who she really is and why she keeps having the dreams about vampires and monsters.

Anna has had a hard life since she’s been moved from foster home to foster home. After her parents were killed, no one wanted to adopt her so she was then placed in the “system.” Only one foster home felt like a real home to her and when the couple finally were able to conceive and finally have a baby of their own she was once more back in the system. She stayed with them for three years and has remained heartbroken ever since she found out that they didn’t want her anymore. Anna brushed away a tear that streamed down her cheek as she remembered how Diane brushed her hair and bought her very nice clothes to wear. Anna quickly began to think of Diane and Jack as her parents. She was approaching her 10th birthday when Diane found out that she was pregnant. Anna was ecstatic for them and for herself as well. She would soon have a brother or a sister. She remembered when Diane told her that they would be unable to care of her anymore. Jack thought it was best for Anna to go a psychiatrist to examine her recurring nightmares she’d had since she was five years old. They could not afford a new baby and the cost of sending her to a psychiatrist and could therefore not afford to adopt her. When the Johnson’s did not want her, she hardened her heart from that day forward. She never again became close to any future foster parents. That was why she currently resided in a girl’s shelter.

“But not for long,” Anna thought as she saw the bus pull into view.

Anna rode the bus to the bus station and purchased a ticket to L.A.

* * * * *

The Next Morning

Willow stared in frustration at the computer screen in front of her. She found Anna Monroe in Los Angeles up until the age of three. Then, Anna was moved to a foster home for three years. After that point, she lost track of Anna since the foster parents decided not to adopt her.

Diane and Jack Johnson moved to another city in California and she could not pick up their trail. When they decided not to adopt her, where had Anna been taken?

“Dammit!” Willow exclaimed as she waited for the searches to complete. She waited knowing that eventually it would display the results on the screen.

“Finally!” Willow muttered as she saw the contents fill her computer screen. Then Willow breathed a sigh of disbelief.

“I found her!” Willow yelled just as Dawn walked into the computer room.

“Who, Anna?” Dawn asked.

“Yep, s-she’s at a girl’s home in Glendale, CA.”

“Who are you going to send for her?” Dawn asked.

“I think that Giles and I should go,” Willow said.

“Cool! What are you going to say to them?” Dawn asked.

“That we’ve found a blood relative and she wants Anna to live with her. Dana is a legal adult now so that shouldn’t be an issue,” Willow said.

Buffy walked into the computer room followed by a bandaged Dana. Willow and Dawn looked at them both in amazement.

“How did you manage to have Dana released from the hospital?” Willow asked.

“I had to hire a private psychiatric nurse approved by the hospital. She will be here in about 2 hours,” Buffy said.

Willow walked to Dana and touched her shoulder. Without thinking, Dana shrugged Willow’s hand away. Willow winced. “Sorry, Dana,” she whispered. “But I have great news for you.”

Dana’s face brightened. “Yes, Willow?”

“I’ve found Anna.”

Dana’s eyes brightened and her face reddened slightly. Then the tears began to roll silently down her cheeks. “Where?” Dana whispered. “I have to get to her.”

“I know, Dana a-and you will but Giles and I will...”

“No, I’m going to!”

“But you just got out of the hospital and if they see you with your bandages around your wrists they will never let you have custody of Dana...” Willow said and then Dana interrupted before she could continue.

“I have long sleeve sweaters that will cover my bandages. I can wear some makeup and fix my hair nicely. They will give Anna to me. She’s my sister...my only family. I’m going!” Dana said her voice rising slightly.

Willow turned to Buffy. “What do we do about the nurse?”

Buffy looked at Dawn. “Leave that to me and Dawn,” Buffy said and put her arm around Dana. “Come on, Dana, let’s get you ready.”

* * * * *

As Giles and Willow waited for Dana’s transformation, Dawn printed out directions to the girl’s shelter.

Buffy emerged with a new Dana about an hour later. Giles’ jaw dropped open and then Willow turned to see her coming down the stairs. She smiled at Dana. Her hair, long and straight, tumbled across both shoulders. It looked very soft and it shone silkily. Buffy applied Dana’s makeup perfectly accenting her beautiful almost Native American features. Her beauty, once before disguised, now revealed. Dana felt suddenly giddy as all eyes were on her.

“You look amazing!” Willow said as she approached Dana and touched her long hair. This time, Dana did not pull back from Willow as Dana began to trust her more.

“Think I’ll pass for a responsible sister for Anna?” Dana asked, shyly.

“Yes, I think so,” Giles said.

“So is Dawn in position?” Willow asked.

“Yep, brown wig and all,” Buffy said.

“Good!” Willow said. “Are we ready to go get your sister, Dana?”

“I’ve been ready,” Dana answered and smiled briefly at the red head.

* * * * *

After Willow, Giles and Dana left the school; Buffy greeted the nurse about an hour later. She escorted the nurse to Dana’s room. Once they reached the room, Dawn feigned sleep, covered her face, and only long dark hair showed. The nurse began to unpack her supplies.

“I’m Fiona Banks,” the nurse said extending her hand to Buffy.

“I’m Buffy Summers and this is Dana Monroe. She has been sleeping non-stop since I’ve brought her home.”

“Yes, she will sleep for quite a long time considering the pain killers they hospital gave her,” Fiona replied.

Buffy walked up to Dana’s bedside and stroked her hair.

“I have some things that I need...to do, so I will leave you now,” Buffy told the nurse.

“Fine, no problem, the hospital gave me your cell number and your home number in case I need anything.”

“That will be fine,” Buffy said as she walked out of the room. She hoped that Dawn didn’t have plans to slay her once this was all over.

* * * * *

Willow, Giles and Dana approached the ticket counter at the airport. They all showed the agent their id’s and were issued plane tickets to Los Angeles. They would rent a car and drive to Glendale. Willow made an id for Dana using a picture of her after Buffy helped with the amazing transformation. Dana was now a legal 20-year-old licensed drive from Cleveland, OH.

They waited only an hour for boarding and Dana seemed a little nervous once they sat in their seats on the plane.

“Have you ever flown before,” Willow asked Dana.

“No, is it safe?”

“Safer than driving actually,” Giles told Dana from her other side.

“I want to be with my sister no matter what I have to do.”

Giles smiled and then remembered the girl that Andrew brought in only three weeks ago. She has really come a long way and they owed that to her sister, Anna. He only hoped they wouldn’t be late.

* * * * *

Buffy left the school and walked to Xander’s apartment. He answered her knock very quickly. As soon as she saw him she fell into his arms.

“I really needed to be with you Xander,” Buffy said as he escorted her inside but not bothering to let her go. His arms were around her waist and held her tighter against him.

“I’ve missed you, Buffy,” Xander said. “I was worried that this thing with Anya...”

Buffy moved two fingers to cover his mouth. “I don’t care about a dead ex-girlfriend haunting us, Xander. We’ve had worse things happen to us. I want to be with you no matter what happens. I wanted you to know that,” Buffy told him, her eyes shone with unshed tears.

“I want to be with you too, Buffy.”

“Kiss me, please. I need you, Xander.”

Without hesitation, Xander took her in his arms, kissed her gently at first, and then hungrily moved her closer to him, deepening the kiss. Buffy moved against him holding nothing back from him as she kissed him back with the same hunger and passion. She wanted to be closer to him. Then Xander pulled away from her to look deeply into her eyes.

“Tell me you want me, Buffy,” Xander whispered in her ear.

“I want you Xander, I want you so much,” Buffy whispered back and then pulled him back to her. An electric bolt shot through her body when Xander moved his hands down to her backside as he pulled her closer to him. Their kiss was an erotic dance of passion older than time. He left the moistness of her mouth to trail tiny kisses down her neck to the hollow of her throat. Buffy moaned. Xander caught her mouth once more as his hands roamed all over her back and then up to her hair. He tangled his hands in her long, blond hair and he gently pulled it. Buffy moaned loudly against Xander’s mouth. All thoughts of reason flew from Buffy’s mind. She only wanted to let Xander have her body. She wanted to feel him inside her. She quickly moved one of his hands to her breasts and he caressed it lovingly. Xander then unbuttoned Buffy’s shirt and let it fall to the floor. He pulled back from her and stared at her beauty before him. Buffy looked him in the eyes and she removed her thin bra. He watched her in awe and once she revealed her breasts to him, he could not stay away from her any longer. He gathered her in his arms and moved toward his bedroom. He laid her gently on the bed and then removed his own clothes. He then lay beside her and began to remove her jeans. Buffy caught his mouth in another erotic kiss and moved her tongue in his mouth. He moaned.

“Xander, I want you inside me, now!” Buffy practically screamed.

Xander stood again above her and then slowly removed her silky panties. He could see her moistness between her legs and then wanted to touch her there desperately. Instead of moving over her he let his hands explore her body. He started at her face and touched her face gently and as he moved his hands over her cheeks and then a finger over her bottom lip, Buffy took his finger in her mouth and sucked deeply. Xander shivered and then moved his hands to her chest and then over her breasts. Her nipples were erect and he pinched them gently between his fingers. He then moved to position himself over her and then gently took on nipple in his mouth and began to suck deeply. Buffy moaned and moved her hands to the back of Xander’s head. She wanted move. Suddenly, she used all her strength to pull him up to her mouth. She kissed him deeply and then quickly flipped him over where she was now in control of him. She sat above him looking down at him wickedly. He grinned up at her as he anticipated what she had in store for him.

“Wanna have your way with me?” Xander asked.

“You wouldn’t give me what I want...” Buffy started to say and then she lost her voice when she raised herself over his hard manhood and then lowered herself until he was hard inside her. Xander moaned loudly along with Buffy. She then became very still savoring the feeling of him inside her silky walls.

“So I want, take...have,” Buffy whispered and then lowered herself so she completely covered his body. She reached down, kissed him hard on the lips, and then began to move her hips. Xander reached up, grabbed her hips, and guided her as she moved against him. Buffy could already feel a release rising to the surface. She closed her eyes and rose up just a little and as she exposed her neck, Xander reached up to run his hands from her neck down to her small breasts. Her nipples were still erect. Xander pinched them hard and Buffy moaned loudly and finally let go. Her orgasm shattered her to her core and she moved over him fast. Xander suddenly groaned out with his own orgasm. They rocked against each other enjoying the feeling of being alive and enjoyed each other’s bodies. Once Xander started to orgasm, Buffy felt another one approach and she simply rode it until she felt satisfied. Buffy stopped moving and then settled her head against Xander’s chest. He held her back and as Buffy looked at him, he smiled sexily at her.

“God, Buffy...” Xander said. “I’ve wanted you from the first day I saw you.”

Buffy smiled. “I’m glad we waited though, don’t you?” Buffy said.

“Speak for yourself woman!” Xander said and then smiled at her.

Buffy laughed and then fell by his side and her cuddled her to his side. Then they slept in each other’s arms totally satisfied to be together.

* * * * *

Once Willow, Giles and Dana left the airport, Giles rented a car. They drove to Glendale and then to the girl’s shelter.

Giles told Willow that he would go first and then went inside. An older woman at the front door met them.

“May I help you?” the woman asked.

“Yes, my name is Rupert Giles and this is my associate Willow Rosenburg. Dana Monroe has come for her sister, Anna Monroe.”

The lady seemed shocked to find that Anna had a sister and then her eyes became suddenly sad.

“Oh dear, you are too late, Ms. Monroe. Anna ran away from the shelter this morning and we have no idea where she is headed.”

Dana instantly began to cry as Giles gathered her in his arms.

The End

Coming Soon...Episode 7.
© Copyright 2010 GothLady (UN: kelhawk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
GothLady has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/682021-Episode-6---Definition-of-Insanity