*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/684210-How-to-back-off
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#684210 added January 18, 2010 at 2:21am
Restrictions: None
How to back off?
    My ex was never fond of his brother. He had a hand written will somewhere, never notorized, or anything, leaving me his earthly belongings. I have no idea where it is, and they could contest it anyway. What kills me is that his brother is pilfering money from his bank account. This is forgery and theft. He is not the next of kin. He has not gone to the courthouse to be named executor (his mother will).
   
    The moral and ethical thing to do is to use his bank account to pay his final bills. But his dishonest brother wants the money for personal use. I guess he figures they can't collect the bills from a dead man, especially if the money isn't there. He's not a moral or ethical man. His mother paid for the cremation. Wouldn't she be first in line for any money he might have left? He's sneaking this by his mother, too. She's old and has mild dementia. He forgot that I helped him with his business affairs, and I would know what was there. I found out from the bank the procedure she should follow to close out the accounts, and was informed of the activity one month after the death of the owner of the account!
   
    It pains me, because I know how he felt. He would rather have the money and the belongings go to charity before his brother got it. And I still want to protect the dead man as I did in life, and take his side, and respect his wishes.
   
      My family says I should stay out of it. I want, I really want to see his brother go to jail for forgery. I hope the bank pursues it. I don't want to see him profit from my ex's untimely death.I would like to see things given to charity before the creep can put his hands on anything to sell it for personal gain.
   
      So what is the right thing to do? If I'm supposed to just stay out of it, and I'm leaning that way, how can I accept that this evil man is doing this? There are some pieces of furniture and some appliances that I would like to have. They used to be mine. Some of them match what I have. I didn't mind giving them to my ex for his use. I really wanted to help him. But how can I give up cringing at the thought of his brother having my things? And I don't have a pick up truck or the muscle power to go 70 miles to claim them.
   
      I cry out to my ex, "I'm so sorry this is happening. I'm sorry there's nothing I can do to stop him from stealing your tools, your furniture, your money. I know we discussed this. You dreaded the thought of him having one iota of your things. You're right, he's greedy, conniving, deceptive. He's going to take your mother for everything. Then when he has all your money, all her money, he'll put her in assisted living any way. I'm sorry. I can't protect her. I can't protect your interest, your wishes."

© Copyright 2010 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/684210-How-to-back-off