*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/685867-I-saw-the-Wolf-Moon-last-night
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1540953
The Continuing Saga of Prosperous Snow
#685867 added January 30, 2010 at 4:23pm
Restrictions: None
I saw the Wolf Moon last night
Jalál (Glory), 12 Sultán (Sovereignty), 166 BE – Saturday, January 30, 2010 about 1:01 PM Pacific Time

I step outside my house after sunset, not something I'm in the habit of doing, but last night was the night of the Wolf Moon. The first full moon of the year is called the Wolf Moon, it's a winter moon that according to legend hungry wolves howl at; I didn't hear any wolves howling. Despite the high thin clouds I did see the bright, big, beautiful Wolf Moon. I also saw the planet Mars which was to the left of the moon. Mars looked like a ruby glowing in the night sky.

The light pollution in Las Vegas interferes with stargazing, unless you go to one of the hotel-casinos and pay to see a show. On a clear night in the city, I can sometimes see the Big Dipper or the Little Dipper. Planet, such as Mar, Venus, or Jupiter, are visible if you know what you're looking for; planet don't twinkle like stars and they don't move like air planes or satellites.

The moon is visible on clear night or night when the clouds are high and thin. If you really want to see the stars, not those appearing on the Las Vegas Strip, then you have to get out of town. You have to get a long way out of town because the hotel-casinos aren't confined to the strip anymore and their light pollution is visible from Boulder City or Searchlight. I doubt that Nelson's Landing is a good place to stargaze anymore, all though, I think it's still a good place to see UFOs.







© Copyright 2010 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/685867-I-saw-the-Wolf-Moon-last-night