*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/685884-Trouble-at-Mill
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1219658
Another plate full of the meat and vegetables of my life.
#685884 added January 30, 2010 at 7:40pm
Restrictions: None
Trouble at Mill
We received a phone call from our son this morning. It seems Mey Ling's visa is about to expire and her application for indefinite leave has been declined by the Home Office. Just one more little problem on this rocky road of life.

Their reasons? Apparently, Mey Ling failed to attend to take a test about English heritage. The invitation to take the test was accompanied by a letter, explaining if she felt unable to attend, due to disability or other reasons, she should send a doctor's note and that would suffice. Mey Ling cannot walk far, doesn't drive and has two small children. So, they acquired the requested letter, sent it off and expected that would be that. Yes, Paul could have taken her I suppose, but he has work commitments and is not of the opinion a test asking who was on the throne in 1465 or what county St Ives belongs to of much relevance. Mey Ling was initially refused classes in English and Maths on the grounds she needed to be a resident here for at least a year.

After a year she has readily taken on those classes and her English, both spoken and written are improving in leaps and bounds. She's red hot with numbers and money. She's intigrating and making friends and has no criminal record. She's prepared to work at a menial job to supplement their income. She may not be the daughter-in-law I would have wished for, but things are what they are and I try my utmost to see her good points and encourage her in adjusting to our culture.

The Home Office say they have looked into her application and compared her case to others, concluding she has less right to stay here. I will not get on my soapbox regarding assylum seekers, illegal immigrants and the massive migration of EEU persons who speak not a word of English, yet are allowed to live here. I am not in any way racist, but England's rules and regulations are a huge joke as far as many of us are concerned.

They suggest that the family take residence in Cambodia. They make no reference to the fact my son is English and has a responsible job which he could never match in a third world country. They claim Angel did not arrive here until 2009, when in fact she's been in England since 2007, is happily settled in nursery school and having an English father, has a right to claim dual nationality. There is no mention of Dylan, born here and a British citizen by right. Three out of four in this family have English roots and the powers that be think it's best they bugger off to Asia? Over my dead body.

Add to this the fact Paul's family live here, we are the only grandparents those children have ever known and the fact that they are law-abiding citizens who make no claims from the state and are doing their best to improve the quality of their lives through hard, honest work and it makes my blood boil.

Of course, they will appeal and hopefully win, but we could do without the hassle in our already stressful and complex lives. I can't think beyond that; if the situation arose where Paul and his family had to move to Cambodia I think that would be the final straw and I'd just want to fade away. There's only so much fight we can contend with and I'm rapidly approaching overload.

Unless of course I apply to take the required test myself. There's no doubt I'd fail, then maybe the Home Office would decide I need to go back to the U.S. of A where I was born. At this moment in time I think anywhere, even Cambodia, would be a preferable place to live. England may create visuals of thatched cottages, green fields, royalty and high teas, but believe me, the reality is far from that.

Next life I'm going to be a recluse on an undiscovered island somewhere warm and start a new blog full of positive thoughts. I'm not sure what my handle will be, but I'll be sure and let you know.

© Copyright 2010 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/685884-Trouble-at-Mill