*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/685908-London-Its-Your-Day
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#685908 added January 31, 2010 at 2:41am
Restrictions: None
London, It's Your Day
  The 30th is the first birthday of my great niece! Just this past February, I carried her around on my shoulder, warm and sleeping, like a pink corsage on the dark green dress I wore at her aunt's wedding. Now she wipes her nose on the shoulder of my black sweaters, while her feet hang below my waist.

  She runs to me when I'm standing because she wants to see what I'm doing or reach something up high. She never has cared much for sitting still. She's been walking since 9 months, but still doesn't talk. Her laugh is infectious. Honestly, when the men in the family claim she's laughing, you really hear them laughing more, because they take such delight in her smiles and laughter. When has a child been so loved by aunts and uncles, great-aunts and -uncles, and grandfather and great-grandfather? We all strive for her attentlon and affection.

    If only we could be there forever to protect her and to amuse her. Most of us won't see her grow up.Her grandfather and his older brother and his older sister, that's me, and her great-grandfather won't see her reach adulthood because of age and health issues. For us, every minute with her counts. My youngest brother and his wife will probably be around to see her start a family.

    Of course, young parents can't see how we feel, and don't want to think about it. I didn't either back then. But all the time we get with her is like a treasure to us.

    I can't give her any words of wisdom. Her mother and aunt certainly didn't want them. And we may not be giving her memories. It's selfish of us, I suppose, to put so much value on every moment with her and on every thing she does. Every new trick, every mimic, every accomplishment is a celebration to us. We talk about her incessantly when she's not around. It would be nice if someday she could know how much joy she brought us.

    So, little London, happy birthday. You've blessed your whole family.

© Copyright 2010 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/685908-London-Its-Your-Day