*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/686379-Will-Favre-Follow-Warners-Domino-Act
Rated: E · Book · Sports · #1369759
Yoyo Brett Favre and his re-re-return to football...now last shot at glory corrupted?
#686379 added February 4, 2010 at 9:19am
Restrictions: None
Will Favre Follow Warner's Domino Act
Was Kurt Warner the first domino to topple toward the NFL hall of fame? How does his decision factor into the similar fate of Brett Favre?

There are compelling reasons to give one pause to think Favre would lean toward returning another year, while Warner would not gamble his health on another NFL season.

Warner is being publicly touted as some sort of anti-Favre. In his case, he's got an heir whose contract expires similar to the way Aaron Rodgers' deal was coming due with the Packers in 2008. That's when Favre retired and unretired, forcing the Packers to say goodbye to the legend in favor of the team's future.

Warner made his mind up. No waffling, he said. He was thinking about the team and the other players first. And his family, we could assume. Plus, he has some prospects lined up. He could go into broadcasting, public speaking, politics, etc.

But another NFL legend felt Warner decided to soon. Jack Youngblood said on the Jim Rome radio show that Warner was still licking his wounds and could have taken as long as August to decide, thinking Warner will feel differently then. Warner got a two year contract last year with a big signing bonus (does he keep that 7.5 mil?). He could have opted for one more year, since the team is loaded with talent. Or did New Orleans punch his final ticket on the way to Canton?

Youngblood didn't mention Favre in that interview yesterday. But he would seem to support Favre taking so long to suit up for each NFL season. Perhaps, there is some pressure on these players to decide too early. We heard the rumblings after each year in Green Bay. Favre was being honest. The media wanted to know. He would say if he leaned one way or another, but time was the main factor in helping him ultimately decide. I think the Packers took advantage of him after the 2007 conference loss at home to the Giants.

Favre took the same kind of beating as Warner in the conference playoff game. It ended with another Favre pick. But throughout the game, no matter the drubbing, he got back out on the field and gutted it out. His make-up is to play on, do it his way. He has the resilience. The longer he goes without deciding on retirement, the surer you can be he will return for 2010.

you have to think Favre has thought about Warner's situation and how it impacts him. Does he sit back and say he's not letting the Saints chase him out of the league the way Warner is leaving with his tail between his legs (while he still has use of them)?

We all assumed he was back to even the score with the Packers and GM Ted Thompson. Do you suppose he'd feel less of a man if he quit now when the table is still set for another Super Bowl run? He must be too proud to let old teammate Darren Sharper get the final say on his legacy.

The Vikings had that game won, if it were not for the Saints teeing off on the ol' gunslinger and causing all of those turnovers. In the end, the personal foul penalties did not amount to a hill of beans when compared to the mountain of costly mistakes that caused Minnesota to lose that game.

Yes, Favre could retire and walk away from the game with his head held high. He would also go out bookending his pro career with passes for interceptions. It was a great season. Sad that it would end the way it did. But, what else will he have going for him? Career in broadcasting, sit on a tractor, throw footballs to high schoolers, or zip some fastballs to pros who can catch them?

Wait another year and get inducted into that ring of honor without the distinction of having your career compared with Warner by going to that dance together, Brett.

© Copyright 2010 He’s Brian K Compton (UN: ripglaedr3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
He’s Brian K Compton has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/686379-Will-Favre-Follow-Warners-Domino-Act