*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/686860-Michelle-Obamas-Project
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#686860 added February 9, 2010 at 11:03am
Restrictions: None
Michelle Obama's Project
      The first lady's attempt to combat childhood obesity is a laudable project. Education and training at home and school are required to change the attitudes and lifestyle bringing about this affliction. It has been a struggle since JFK addressed it, but has only gotten worse.

      As for using her daughter as an example, that was unfortunate. She may have addressed it earlier with the girl, so that she would be prepared and willing to help. However, the public immediately identified with the girl, feeling that her daughter's privacy had been betrayed. This is a very sensitive subject, especially for young girls, who have esteem and body image issues already. The public has no way of knowing whether or not the issue was discussed between mother and daughters and were okay with it. They put themselves in the girls' shoes and empathized with them. Many, no doubt, could feel some pain in that position.

      However, the Obabma girls are not unique in this position. Every week preachers' kids are exposed to the same public airing of their secrets. Therapists who write books or speak on TV shows do the same thing to their kids. Mrs. Obama only meant to say that it wasn't just for other people's kids. Her family is just like everyone else's. She certainly did not want to embarrass her daughter.

      The media needs to stop making mountains out of mole hills. Once mentioned, forgive the comment and assume lesson learned. By continuing to harp on it, the girl's supposed misery is prolonged. Instead, let's focus on healthy snacks, regular mealtimes, and plenty of exercise. One of the problems of today's kids is too much time in front of a TV, video game, or computer. We don't need laws to help us do this, just more attention to s healthier lifestyle. All of us need to be careful about criticizing or nagging kids about what they eat, which may exacerbate the problem. Keep them busy and happy, so that they don't think about eating!

© Copyright 2010 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/686860-Michelle-Obamas-Project