*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/687610-Modern-Education
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#687610 added February 17, 2010 at 2:06am
Restrictions: None
Modern Education?
    Kaplan University runs a commercial that states we no longer need traditional education, but that our modern age demands a new kind of education and new standards. It sounds heroic and revolutionary. As the commercial progresses, you see that the noble opening addresses are not really what they mean. They are merely marketing their school to people of all ages, who may need on-line courses, or part-time schooling, or who simply want a specific job training program. The bottom line is they are not really throwing out traditional education, but that the means by which one may obtain this education are expanding.

    First, we must remember this is a marketing technique, not an altruistic message. They are selling their school and its programs. It may be a very fine education. However, they don't really care to change history or society. They just want to be sure the school thrives in today's marketplace. The aspersion is cast toward the large, well-known universities and the students who have been able to take 4 years or more to devote to their higher education. The drive now is for IT and medical tech jobs, and schools that prepare for that end.

    The danger in those opening lines is that traditional schooling may be losing respect. This commercial fuels the argument of many people who scoff at a traditional college degree. Colleges and universities have not been sleeping. They have added extensive IT departments, and new programs as they are able. Many have extended programs for the older student or the commuting student already. But knowledge is still knowledge. The need for arts, history, math, economics, science, etc., are as great as ever. The ways to get that knowledge may be increasing, but you don't throw the baby out with the bath water. There is still great value in traditional education.

      Career training seems to be the objective here, not obtaining an education. They may overlap, but are not one ant he same. I once had a professor in the graduate business school of a prestigious university tell me that the BS students were very likable and smart, but the BA students had a better sense of who they were and how they fit into the universe.

      Paul Goodman was the education guru of the 70's. He warned that higher education was not intended to be a driver's license, or a means to a job. It was to make one well-rounded, A master's program might be needed to focus on a single profession. We appear to be drifting away from the well-rounded graduate to merely creating employees.

      This attitude carries over into the entire educational system. SOL's, which may have been a well-intentioned measuring tool in the beginning, have put limits on teachers and students and narrowed the the field for creativity. Instead of imaginative scientists and inventors, and free thinkers, we are turning out robots, homogenized, and standardized. If they pass SOL's, they can earn a UPC code.

      Back in the 80's, I remember magazines touting the service industries, suggesting the successful person train in finance, credit, banking, law, etc. The future of our country lay with service jobs. Thirty years later, we have problems in manufacturing, agriculture, and many other "dirty" jobs, with a shortage of plumbers and special ed teachers, and an over-abundance of realtors, financial advisers, bankers, and upper management.

      Meanwhile, we have lawmakers who don't know the constitution or the bill or rights. We have voters who don't know history, or appreciate the price of freedom, or understand the responsibilities and limits of those in office. Johnny still can't read, Suzie can't do math, and Teacher doesn't know she can't date one of her underage students.

© Copyright 2010 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/687610-Modern-Education