*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/692340-My-addiction
Rated: ASR · Book · Biographical · #1469467
Welcome to Whatsit's Wild World.
#692340 added April 5, 2010 at 12:40pm
Restrictions: None
My addiction
I am fascinated by book lists. I would go as far as to say I am ADDICTED to book lists. The other day I found a list of 100 books that some random person on Facebook had read, so of course I printed it out.

This time was different. I actually took the list to the public library with me.

Usually I don't have that much initiative. I have a full-time job and three kids. Folding laundry is almost another full-time job for me. Most of the time when I run up on a new list, I drool over it and that's it.

I was thinking how lucky it is that I am a book addict because of libraries. Books are the only thing that are offered for free somewhere. Shoe addicts can't get free shoes. Make-up addicts can't get free lipstick because what would be the point of returning it? Nobody else would want it. Books are different, and my perpetually-broke self is glad we have public libraries.

Anyway, I took my list to the public library. I ran in 10 minutes before closing, so I had to just run through and grab, but I did get five books. Four of them, I had read already, but it had been a long time and they bear re-reading.

See, the problem with me is, I re-read books. Over and over. I get into a rut with them. I have a nice collection of books, plus I work at a school library, so I don't tend to get out where some fresh books would be. So it was nice to get some new books to read.

Here is what I got:

1. Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernières. I am reading this about one paragraph at a time instead of charging through as fast as I can go as I usually do. Interesting, but takes concentration. This is the one I had not read yet. Somebody had recommended this to me a couple of years ago and I had never gotten around to it, so when I saw it on the list I grabbed it.

2. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I read this in college. It's better than you expect.

3. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. Will make you think.

4. The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers. The first two books of The Lord of the Rings trilogy. They didn't have number three or I would have gotten it.

Your assignment: send me your booklist so I can read that too!

One thing I have always wondered is why we don't have book clubs on Writing.com. I think that would be a good thing. I know that the answer to that is why don't I start one, but I want somebody ELSE to start it and me join it.


© Copyright 2010 Mrs. Whatsit (UN: mrswhatsit at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Mrs. Whatsit has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/692340-My-addiction