*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/693479-New-Batteries-Anyone
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1219658
Another plate full of the meat and vegetables of my life.
#693479 added April 17, 2010 at 6:04pm
Restrictions: None
New Batteries Anyone?
I think I'm finally realising I'm not eighteen any more. Apart from not being a morning person, I consider myself to be fairly active and energetic compared to a lot of people I know around the same age. Everything crossed, I have no major health issues I know about and generally don't suffer from aches and pains. Not due to a healthy lifestyle but more luck than judgement.

But just recently I'm waking up feeling tired and wondering how I'll get through all I have to do each day. Housework is at a bare minimum as I deal with hospitals, extra laundry, checking on Dad's house and meetings. Still, dust and dirt will still be here when I'm not, so I won't worry about it, but what I wouldn't give for some freedom of choice or leisure time.

The meeting on Tuesday with the big knobs at the hospital lasted a couple of hours with some heated debates and poor excuses. My friend Joy asked me how it went when she phoned and after I'd hesitated, she summed it up succinctly in three little words. Waste of time. Rules, regulations, red tape, human rights, rigid tests and restrictions mean there is little anyone can do for Dad until he agrees he needs outside help. I think he may have done before now if approached properly and in his daughters' presence, but that scenario wasn't given the chance to happen.

I don't think there can possibly be any other solution this time as progress is very slow and walking again isn't going to be easy, let alone coping with everyday life. It's all very sad, heartbreaking even, but I can only do my best with the number of hurdles we face. A suggestion was made I withdraw all help until he admits he can't possibly cope, but I find that suggestion from professional people absolutely disgusting. How pathetic that we have reached the stage where something like that is considered necessary before outside help can intervene.

Anyway, sis has gone home now and on Friday Paul and family decided to drop in for a meal, before they set off to London for the weekend for the celebration of the Cambodian New Year. I knew what would happen as hints were dropped about it being easier to only take one car with their friends and the occasion not really being child friendly.

Besides, we have the word 'MUG' engraved on our foreheads and with no chance of leaving the country due to volcanic dust from Iceland's volcano, what could we do? So we now have a weekend of grandmonsters to add to our hospital visiting and other duties. Anyone got any spare batteries? Mine are in dangerous need of recharging or needing replacing completely.

I have to say however, the two days since all flights have been cancelled to or from the U.K. have seen the clearest, bluest skies in a very long time. Coincidence or not?


© Copyright 2010 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/693479-New-Batteries-Anyone