*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/696219-May-15Free-Read---765-wrods
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1342524
Reading, Writing, Pondering: Big Life Themes, Literature, Contemporary/Historical Issues
#696219 added May 15, 2010 at 9:10am
Restrictions: None
May 15_Free Read 765 wrods
Obax and the Night-Riders





ACT ONE, SCENE FIVE





                                                                     (Lights up. Dim.)


                                                                     (Nighttime. Outdoors.                                                                                Wesleyan College lawns.                                                                                Outside Ballroom. Verandah                                                                      at STAGE RIGHT.)





                                                           (Two men stand just outside the                                                            light from the open Ballroom                                                                      door, conversing quietly. They                                                            are HARRALD NEALM and MAJOR                                                                      SHERROD LACEY NELSON. THE                                                                      MAJOR, an attorney in civilian                                                            life, is advising HARRALD                                                                      NEALM, an Auctioneer and                                                                      businessman on the edge between                                                            legal and illegal commerce, on                                                            the proprieties of conducting a                                                            Slave Auction in this city of                                                            Macon, Georgia, at the first of                                                            February, now that Union                                                                      REVEREND PRESIDENT FISK Abraham Lincoln has                                                            enacted his EMANCIPATION                                                                      PROCLAMATION just this month,                                                            freeing the slaves.)


         


                                                                     (A horse's harness jangles                                                                      against wood, a man's                                                                                muttered voice curses.                                                                                Bootsteps on the verandah,                                                                      entering from STAGE RIGHT,                                                                      REAR.)





                                                           (CAPTAIN JUDSON HEATH, CSA,                                                                      appears on the Verandah from                                                                      STAGE RIGHT REAR. He is sharply                                                            attired in a starched pressed                                                            uniform and spit-shined knee-                                                                      high boots, a broad felt hat on                                                            his precisely-combed blond                                                                      hair. His mouth is crimped in                                                            distaste or disgruntlement,                                                                      until THE MAJOR steps forward                                                            into the light and THE CAPTAIN                                                            sees him. THE CAPTAIN forces a                                                            faux smile and salutes, a                                                                      gesture which THE MAJOR                                                                                returns.)





THE MAJOR: CAPTAIN HEATH. I expected you quite some time earlier.


                                                           (waves a dismissing hand as THE                                                            CAPTAIN attempts to demur.)


                   Well, no matter. Now that yah're here, would you be so kind as to keep my lovely Cousin company for me, just until Ah finish mah business outside? She is near the refreshment table, Ah believe. Thankee.


                                                           (THE CAPTAIN bows low and                                                                      strides through the Ballroom                                                                         archway, removing his hat, then                                                            turns right, his face glowing                                                            as he steps inside and spots                                                                      VONDA LACEY, whom the audience                                                            cannot see at this point.)





                                                           (THE MAJOR returns to the side                                                            of HARRALD NEALM, who grasps                                                                      his uniform coat sleeve and                                                                      pulls him farther into the                                                                      shadows. Now neither man is                                                                      visible, but their mumblings                                                                      can be heard as they continue                                                            to discuss both the upcoming                                                                      Slave Auction at the downtown                                                            DAVIS SMITH SLAVE MARKET, and                                                            the business contracts HARRALD                                                            NEALM is negotiating between                                                                      THE FINDLEY IRON WORKS of                                                                      Macon, Georgia, and THE                                                                                CONFEDERATE STATES OF AMERICA                                                            ARMORY, soon to be constructed                                                            in Macon.)


                                                           


                                                                     (Lights dim even more.                                                                                Lights out.)





                                                                     END OF ACT ONE, SCENE FIVE





                                                                     ACT ONE, SCENE SIX





                                                                     (Lights up.)








                                                                     (BALLROOM, Wesleyan                                                                                College.


                                                                     


                                                                     Long ballroom.


                                                                     Frescoes decorate walls                                                                                above chair railing, white                                                                      painted vertical planks                                                                                below to parquet floor.


                                                                     Chandelier filled with lit                                                                      candles depends from                                                                                center of ceiling.


                                                                     Wall sconces hold kerosene                                                                      lanterns.)





                                                                     (Viewing from STAGE                                                                                RIGHT.)


                                                                     Crowd, dancers waltz,                                                                                laugh, flirt coyly. In the                                                                      corners STAGE REAR small                                                                      groups of men congregate                                                                      to converse, their                                                                                          expressions serious and                                                                                sometimes gloomy.


                                                                     To STAGE FOREGROUND, the                                                                      long refreshment table                                                                                hosts many congregants,                                                                                sipping champagne or                                                                                selecting canapes'.)


                                                           (At the far STAGE LEFT                                                                                FOREGROUND, VONDA LACEY is                                                                      pressed in upon by CAPTAIN                                                                      JUDSON HEATH, CSA. He hands her                                                            a champagne flute and a plate,                                                            effectively rendering her hands                                                            full.)


THE CAPTAIN: Now what else can I get you, my dear? More canapes', perhaps? Another champagne? Would you care to sit down? Perhaps you would prefer to dance?


                                                           (His eyes are gleaming and his                                                            behavior is superbly tailored                                                            to his newest potential                                                                                conquest, or so he considers.)


VONDA LACEY: You are very kind, Sir, but Ah believe you have offered me quite all I can handle right here.


                                                           (slightly motions with her left                                                            hand, holding the platter)


Ah don't think Ah could eat more than this.


                                                           (offers THE CAPTAIN a winsome                                                            smile)


         but Ah do b'lieve Ah would care to sit for a spell, wouldn't you mind.





THE CAPTAIN:                (bows deeply, waves his right                                                                      arm indicating that she should                                                            precede him. They walk to STAGE                                                            RIGHT, where comfortable                                                                      armchairs are set along the                                                                      wall, interspersed with                                                                                settees. Chaperones and those                                                            instructors who consider                                                                      themselves too elder or too                                                                      weary to waltz are seated,                                                                      intermittently spaced.


                                                           He is seen to consider                                                                                suggesting an empty settee,                                                                      then changes his mind and waves                                                            her into an armchair, after                                                                      first taking her plate and                                                                      flute so she can settle her                                                                      hoop skirts comfortably. He                                                                      keeps the plate, leaning over                                                            her so she can select canapes,                                                            but returns the flute to her.)





                                                           (THE CAPTAIN and VONDA LACEY                                                                      converse quietly, she                                                                                occasionally smiling slightly,                                                            he smiling widely with                                                                                glittering teeth. Once or twice                                                            she glances up at him briefly,                                                            but maintains throughout a                                                                      circumspect demeanour as befits                                                            an unchaperoned unmarried                                                                      socialite female.)





                                                                     (Sounds of revelry-                                                                                          music and chatter-mute                                                                                gradually.)





                                                                     (Candlelight and lantern-                                                                      light dim.)





                                                                     (Lights out.)





                                                                     END OF ACT ONE, SCENE SIX








                                                                     END OF ACT ONE





                                       





                                                                     












Designed by me for NaNo 2009

© Copyright 2010 Cobwebby Space Reader Reindeer (UN: fantasywrider at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Cobwebby Space Reader Reindeer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/696219-May-15Free-Read---765-wrods