*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/696124-May-14-Free-Read---------1106-wc
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1342524
Reading, Writing, Pondering: Big Life Themes, Literature, Contemporary/Historical Issues
#696124 added May 14, 2010 at 7:51am
Restrictions: None
May 14 Free Read 1106 wc
Obax and the Nght-Riders





ACT ONE, SCENE FOUR





                                                                     January, 1863.


                                                                     Wesleyan Ladies' College,


                                                                     Macon, Georgia, CSA


                                                                     Central Ballroom





CHARACTERS:


VONDA LACEY, student


MAJOR SHERROD LACEY NELSON, CSA


CAPTAIN JUDSON HEATH, CSA


HARRALD NEALM, Brunsmoor, South Georgia


         Businessman, Auctioneer, currently on business


trip involving FINDLAY IRON WORKS OF MACON, GEORGIA


ASHLEY DUMPLING, student


REVEREND PRESIDENT FISK RUFUS FISK, Wesleyan Ladies'


    College


ARABELLA WILLIS, Instructor of French


  and Ladies' Deportment


VONNIE ANDERSON, Instructor of Classics


ASSORTED CONFEDERATE OFFICERS


ASSORTED MACON SOCIETY FOLK





                                                                     (Lights up.)


                                                                     (Long ballroom.


                                                                     Frescoes decorate walls                                                                                above chair railing, white                                                                      painted vertical planks                                                                                below to parquet floor.


                                                                     Chandelier filled with lit                                                                      candles depends from                                                                                center of ceiling.


                                                                     Wall sconces hold kerosene                                                                      lanterns.)





                                                                     (Ballroom is filled with                                                                      well-dressed ladies,                                                                                Confederate officers of                                                                                various ranks, and local                                                                      Macon socialites and their                                                                      fathers, husbands, and                                                                                brothers. However, on                                                                                close inspection it is                                                                                obvious that nearly two                                                                                years of War have taken a                                                                      toll; some gowns are made-                                                                      overs, others show                                                                                          evidence of re-stitching.                                                                      Many of the local men wear                                                                      suits which are several                                                                                years out of fashion. The                                                                      facade of Society is                                                                                present, yet lacking much                                                                      of its substance.)





                                                           (Brown-haired VONDA LACEY, her                                                            hair styled in the fashion of                                                            SARAH KNOX TAYLOR DAVIS-short-                                                            lived first wife of CONFEDERACY                                                            REVEREND PRESIDENT FISK JEFFERSON DAVIS-                                                                      wearing a plain silk gown made                                                            over from a pre-War fashion,                                                                      waltzes, wearing a fixed smile                                                            which conceals her anxiety                                                                      concerning the current                                                                                situations of her father                                                                      Branford and her brother Ford,                                                            both of whom are serving with                                                            1st Alabama, their whereabouts                                                            unknown.)





MAJOR SHERROD LACEY NELSON:          


                                                           (taps VONDA'S partner on left                                                            shoulder, politely nods.                                                                      VONDA'S partner relinquishes                                                                      her as waltz completes. MAJOR                                                            holds out his right arm for                                                                      VONDA to take.)





         A glass of champagne, my dear Cousin?





VONDA LACEY:                                        (nods in acquiescence, takes                                                                      his arm. They turn away from                                                                      the dancers and walk toward the                                                             far end of the ballroom, at                                                                      STAGE LEFT FOREGROUND, where a                                                            long bar has been set up for                                                                      refreshments and canapes'.)


                   COUSIN SHERROD, Ah've been jest so wohried about Papa and Ford.


                                                           (fans her face with an                                                                                elaborate paper fan)


Do YOU have any idea, Cousin?





MAJOR:                                                  


                                                           (collects two champagne flutes and hands one carefully to VONDA)


    My dear child, I was in Savannah just the end of last week, at the Dispatch Offices, and I looked through the records. I found no sign of either your father or of your brother Ford.





VONDA:


                                                           (shifts as if to speak)





MAJOR: No, no, my dear, that would be good news. That I did not see their names means-they are still alive, still fighting.





VONDA:


                                                           (deflates in obvious relief and sighs)





                                                           (Before she can speak, a man of                                                            middle height, like THE MAJOR,                                                            but significantly stockier, in                                                            a tight-fitting waistcoat with                                                            a pocket watch under a brown                                                                      jacket and wearing expensive                                                                      and          heavy tan trousers,                                                                      appears behind THE MAJOR and                                                                      taps him on the right                                                                                shoulder.)





                                                           (THE MAJOR startles, turns,                                                                      then beams a smile.)


THE MAJOR: Why, HARRALD! I was not expecting to see YOU in Macon!





HARRALD NEALM:


                                                           (eyeing VONDA LACEY with a                                                                      gleam while addressing THE                                                                      MAJOR)


                   No, indeed, my man. Unexpected business has brought me to town, and I would very much like to discuss it with you, Sir, if I may. It involves


                                                           (finally turns his gaze away                                                                      from VONDA, back to THE MAJOR,                                                            drops his volume)


          the Findley Iron Works. There were contracts needing to be negotiated there. And Sir,


                                                           (here he turns to VONDA)


             but I am being so discourteous! Please introduce me to your lovely companion!


                                                           (the gleam is back in his eye                                                            now)





THE MAJOR: Ah, this is my Cousin, HARRALD, Miss VONDA LACEY of Mississippi. Her father and her brother are right now fighting for our Cause, and MISS VONDA is enrolled at the Wesleyan Ladies' College here in Macon. She will be graduating in May and going home to Mississippi to take up a teaching position there in Corinth.





HARRALD NEALM: Oh, my! I am pleased and honored, MISS LACEY.


                                                           (bows over her now outstretched                                                            right hand)


                             Won't you allow me to introduce myself? I am HARRALD NEALM, of Brunsmoor, South Georgia. I own several businesses there, and am often in this fair city in pursuit of business; but I must confess, I have never been to the State of Mississippi, a failing I hope to rectify once we have won this War!


                   Now if you would excuse THE MAJOR and myself for just a moment, ma'am, there is men's business I need to discuss with him-War business, don't you know?


                                                           (HARRALD NEALM bends low over                                                            the hand of VONDA LACEY, kisses                                                            it, then pats it lightly and                                                                      turns to THE MAJOR)


         


HARRALD NEALM:


         Major, if we could just step out on the verandah for a moment? I really need to discuss with you a little matter about


                                                 (turns away so that he has placed                                                            himself between THE MAJOR and VONDA                                                  LACEY, so that she will not hear                                                            his next words)


                   the Davis Smith Slave Market here in town.


                                                 (practically whispering now, as the                                                  move away toward the outside                                                                      archway, leaving VONDA LACEY                                                                      standing solitary near the bar,                                                            looking pensive and thoughtfully                                                            after them)





HARRALD NEALM:  There is to be an auction held near the end of this month, at the Smith Slave Market downtown, MAJOR. If you can, I would like you to attend; you and a few of your fellow officers.





THE MAJOR:


                                                 (looks astonished)


                             But the Proclamation! How are you to get around that, HARRALD?





HARRALD NEALM: We ahre in The Confederate States of America, MAJOR, not in the Union. What that man Lincoln says in Washington means nothing to us here. Life goes on, and so does slave-buying, slave-selling, and slave-trading.


                                                 (lowers his voice again)


In fact, I have just the little bootblack boy I can let you have for a pittance, a handy little creature to have around, to polish your boots and brush out your uniforms. Might could even teach him to drum! Then you'd have your Regiment a little pickaninny drummer boy to march before you!





                                                 (seeing THE MAJOR looking none too                                                  pleased at this, HARRALD NEALM                                                            changes tacks.)





HARRALD NEALM: The major reason I asked you outside to talk (chuckles) is about the Findley Iron Works. A shipment will be prepared ready for the first of February, and we will need an armed guard to escort it to Savannah. It is a VERY important shipment-





                                                 (their voices dwindle as the two                                                            men step down from the verandah and                                                  walk out across the College Lawn,                                                            heads together like two                                                                                conspirators, as they proceed STAGE                                                  LEFT and out of sight)





                                                                     (Lights out.)


                                                 


                                                                     END OF ACT ONE, SCENE FOUR


                             















© Copyright 2010 Cobwebby Space Reader Reindeer (UN: fantasywrider at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Cobwebby Space Reader Reindeer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/696124-May-14-Free-Read---------1106-wc