*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/696671-May-18-Free-Read-------------Word-Count-863
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1342524
Reading, Writing, Pondering: Big Life Themes, Literature, Contemporary/Historical Issues
#696671 added May 19, 2010 at 8:10am
Restrictions: None
May 18 Free Read Word Count 863
Obax and the Night-Riders


ACT TWO, SCENE TWO





                                                                     (Lights up.)





                                                                     (Daytime. Outdoors.)





                                                                     Macon, Georgia, CSA.


                                                                     Location: SouthWest side                                                                      of city.


                                                                     January, 1863.(Daytime. Outdoors.)





                                                                     Macon, Georgia, CSA.


                                                                     Location: SouthWest side                                                                      of city.


                                                                     January, 1863.


                                                                     Late Afternoon.


                                                                     (The official festivities                                                                      have ended. Crowds are                                                                                still milling about the                                                                                new site, although many                                                                                fewer than initially.                                                                                Stonemasons and slave                                                                                laborers have moved to the                                                                      rear of the site, far                                                                                beyond the official                                                                                congregants, and are                                                                                working diligently, using                                                                      the remainder of the                                                                                daylight to work on the                                                                                foundation.


                                                                     All involved with the                                                                                Confederate States Armory                                                                      of Macon, Georgia, CSA are                                                                      very aware of the urgency.                                                                      The date is now late                                                                                January, 1863, the War has                                                                      been underway for twenty-                                                                      one months, and no early                                                                      nor easy end is in sight.                                                                      So the necessity for the                                                                      new Armory to go into                                                                                production quickly is                                                                                apparent.)





                                                                     (Among the Wesleyan                                                                                Ladies' College                                                                                          contingent, REVEREND PRESIDENT FISK Fisk                                                                      has returned from the                                                                                viewing stand and busily                                                                      instructs the teachers to                                                                      shepherd their charges                                                                                toward the waiting                                                                                          carriages (out of sight to                                                                      STAGE RIGHT). When the                                                                                student heads are counted,                                                                      one is found not present-                                                                      Senior student VONDA                                                                                LACEY.)


                                                           (ARABELLA WILLIS, Instructor of                                                            French and Ladies' Deportment,                                                            steps forward.)


ARABELLA WILLIS: Miss Lacey! VONDA LACEY!


                                                           (Looks around, calls to ASHLEY                                                            DUMPLING, a student who is                                                                      VONDA LACEY'S closest friend at                                                            the College)





ARABELLA WILLIS: ASHLEY DUMPLING! To me, please, ma'am!





ASHLEY DUMPLING:


                                                           (scurries to ARABELLA WILLIS' side)


             Yes, MADEMOISELLE WILLIS?





ARABELLA WILLIS:





                   Ashley, surely you've seen VONDA LACEY? Whereabout is that girl? REVEREND PRESIDENT FISK Fisk is ordering us to leave and return to the school. We must find her at once, I say!





ASHLEY DUMPLING:


                    Ah, MADEMOISELLE WILLIS, I think I saw her over there with her Cousin, MADEMOISELLE. If I might be permitted to go look?





ARABELLA WILLIS:


          Oui, immediament!


                                                     (As French instructor, ARABELLA                                                            WILLIS much prefers to address                                                            her charges in that language.)


ASHLEY DUMPLING:


                            (curtsies and rushes off, first                                                            toward the shade trees where                                                                      she had earlier spotted VONDA                                                            LACEY chatting with THE CAPTAIN                                                            and enviously watched, rather                                                            than pay attention to the                                                                      official speeches; then toward                                                            the far end of the crowd, near                                                            STAGE FOREGROUND CENTER, where                                                            she now notices CONFEDERATE                                                                      ARMY gray uniforms  as the                                                                      remaining crowd shifts,                                                                                preparatory to leaving, and she                                                            then sees a gray felt-brimmed                                                            Officer's hat towering above                                                                      the other individuals.)





                                                                     (In the group that Ashley                                                                      approaches are VONDA                                                                                LACEY, CAPTAIN JUDSON                                                                                HEATH, MAJOR SHERROD LACEY                                                                      NELSON, and HARRALD NEALM,                                                                      who has just turned from                                                                      completing a final                                                                                          conversation for the day                                                                      with SUPERINTENDENT OF                                                                                ARMORIES JAMES H. BURTON.)


                                                           (SUPERINTENDENT BURTON gives a                                                            deep bow to VONDA LACEY, and                                                                      also shakes hands with HARRALD                                                            NEALM, MAJOR NELSON, AND                                                                      CAPTAIN HEATH. Steps away from                                                            the group to return to the City                                                            Officials, STAGE CENTER.)





                                                                     (Lights dim at STAGE REAR,                                                                      above the Stonemasons and                                                                      Slave laborers.


                                                                     Lights dim above the group                                                                      of City Officials and                                                                                SUPERINTENDENT OF ARMORIES                                                                      BURTON.)





                                                           (VONDA LACEY, CAPTAIN HEATH,                                                                      MAJOR NELSON, and HARRALD NEALM                                                            shift as a group to STAGE                                                                      CENTER FOREGROUND, where they                                                            are now joined by a breathless                                                            ASHLEY DUMPLING.)


ASHLEY DUMPLING:  VONDA! VONDA! MADEMOISELLE WILLIS wants you back NOW!


                                                           (breathless, gasps)





VONDA LACEY:                                        (finally takes her eyes                                                                                from THE CAPTAIN, turns,                                                                      notices ASHLEY DUMPLING running                                                            toward her)





        ASHLEY, whatevah is the mattah?





ASHLEY DUMPLING: Reverend REVEREND PRESIDENT FISK Fisk says it's time to return to the College. MADEMOISELLE WILLIS says come right now.





VONDA LACEY:


                                                 (starts to turn back toward THE                                                            CAPTAIN, who has suddenly stepped                                                            backwards, then spots her Cousin,                                                            MAJOR SHERROD LACEY NELSON,                                                                      frowning at her and almost                                                                      imperceptibly shaking his head. She                                                  turns back toward ASHLEY DUMPLING,                                                  when HARRALD NEALM steps forward                                                            toward her, past MAJOR NELSON.)





HARRALD NEALM:


                                                 (holds out an arm toward VONDA                                                            LACEY)


                             If I might be permitted, ma'am. I would be most happy to escort you to your instructors.





                                                 (smiles wetly)





MAJOR NELSON:          Most kind of you, Sir


                                                 (clears throat)


but I think perhaps Ah shall walk the young lady-my cousin-and her companion-Miss Dumpling is it?


         


ASHLEY DUMPLING:


                                                 (nods and simpers, curtsies                                                                      lightly; but her eyes have passed                                                            beyond both MAJOR NELSON and                                                                      HARRALD NEALM-both middle-aged                                                            gentleman-and are fixed on CAPTAIN                                                  JUDSON HEATH.)





MAJOR NELSON:


                                                           (wisely discerning the nature                                                            of the situation between the                                                                      two ladies and his CAPTAIN)


                             Well, come along then, HARRALD, you and I together shall escort these fine young flowers of Southern womanhood back to their chaperonage.


                                                           (looks behind him to CAPTAIN                                                                      HEATH)


                             JUDSON, check the horses and make sure they're ready for us, please. I'll be right there, as soon as HARRALD and I deliver the ladies. Oh, and JUDSON, get HARRALD'S horse ready too, please. We three will be dining at Fincher's as soon as we leave here. Military business, don't you know.


                                                           (and THE MAJOR winks at THE                                                                      CAPTAIN)





                                                           (VONDA LACEY, ASHLEY DUMPLING,                                                            HARRALD NEALM, and MAJOR                                                                      SHERROD LACEY NELSON walk to                                                                      STAGE REAR LEFT, in the                                                                                direction of the Wesleyan                                                                      Ladies' College group.)





                                                                     (Lights above STAGE REAR                                                                      LEFT come up, above the                                                                                Wesleyan Ladies' College                                                                      group.)





                                                                     (Lights brighten STAGE                                                                                CENTER FOREGROUND,                                                                                          bringing focus on CAPTAIN                                                                      JUDSON HEATH, CSA, who                                                                                stares after HARRALD NEALM                                                                      with fierce resentment.)





                                                                     (Lights down, STAGE CENTER                                                                      FOREGROUND.


                                                               All lights down.)





                                                                     END OF ACT TWO, SCENE TW0



© Copyright 2010 Cobwebby Space Reader Reindeer (UN: fantasywrider at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Cobwebby Space Reader Reindeer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/696671-May-18-Free-Read-------------Word-Count-863