*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/696670-May-17-Free-Read-----------------Word-Count-933
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1342524
Reading, Writing, Pondering: Big Life Themes, Literature, Contemporary/Historical Issues
#696670 added May 19, 2010 at 8:08am
Restrictions: None
May 17 Free Read Word Count 933
Obax and the Night-Riders, a Stage Play








                                                                     ACT TWO








                                                                     ACT TWO, SCENE ONE





                                                                     (Lights up.)





                                                                     (Daytime. Outdoors.)





                                                                     Macon, Georgia, CSA.


                                                                     Location: SouthWest side                                                                      of city.


                                                                     January, 1863.








CHARACTERS:


James H. Burton,


Superintendent of Armories,


Confederate States of America


Augustus Schwaab, City Engineer,


Macon, Georgia, Architect of CSA


Macon City Officials


MAJOR SHERROD LACEY NELSON, CSA


CAPTAIN JUDSON HEATH, CSA


HARRALD NEALM


Macon Society


  inc. from Wesleyan Ladies' College


REVEREND PRESIDENT FISK RUFUS FISK


INSTRUCTOR ARABELLA WILLIS


INSTRUCTOR VONNIE ANDERSON


VONDA NEALM, student


ASHLEY DUMPLING, student and roommate


'


Background CHARACTERS:


Assorted STONEMASONS, CARPENTERS,


  BRICKMASONS


150 SLAVE LABORERS,


         inc. ALEC,


          WALTER,


                   TRULEE


    of TALLAMASSEE PLANTATION,


      near Millsboro, East Georgia





Ps. 118:22 he stone which the builders refused is become the head stone of the corner.


King James





                                                           





                                                                     (VOICES of two men are                                                                                heard over the low-voiced                                                                      conversations throughout                                                                      the crowd, the shuffle of                                                                      footsteps, and the                                                                                          occasional rattle of                                                                                chains as the bound slave                                                                      laborers shift in place                                                                                under the Georgia sun.)





JAMES BURTON,


         SUPERINTENDENT OF ARMORIES,


         CSA:  Oh, we have major plans, MR. NEALM! Major plans, indeed! You see, we are set for manufacturing of arms on a giant scale here; 177,000 square feet JUST for manufacturing! That's not to mention all the other necessities: in addition to the main building, which we will construct to two stories, we will have a smithy, a barrel-rolling department, storehouses, coal sheds, proof house, and of course living quarters for all these laborers. Those men and slaves you see out here at the edge of the crowd, farthest from the location of the Corner Stone? Those will not even make a TENTH, Sir, of the men and slave labor we will have to call in to finish this building! Our Macon Armory will be the biggest, the best, and the most efficient throughout our Confederate States!





HARRALD NEALM: VERY Impressive, Superintendent! I hope you can find a place for a humble businessman and Auctioneer such as myself to become a part of this vital military and industrial endeavour!





SUPERINTENDENT BURTON: Have no doubt, Sir! We need all the loyal businesspersons we can find, and you are at the very top of our list! Let us meet for refreshments after the laying of today's Corner Stone, shall we? And we will surely hammer out an agreement of benefit to us all before we are done.





                                                                     (Sounds of a sledgehammer                                                                      on stone, calling the                                                                                crowd to attention.)


                                                 (SUPERINTENDENT JAMES H. BURTON                                                            strides to the new CORNER STONE,                                                            taking his place beside it and                                                            holding up both hands for attention                                                  and silence.)


SUPERINTENDENT BURTON:


                             We are gathered here today, Gentlemen (and Ladies!) to commemmorate the commencement of a most important work, a constrution that will be of immense and enormous benefit to our Beloved Cause. Today we lay the Corner Stone, the very foundation, if you will, of the great and noble CONFEDERATE STATES ARMORY of Macon, Georgia, Confederate States of America!!


          Ps. 118:22 The stone which the builders refused is become the head stone of the corner.


King James Version


                                                                     (Wild applause, cheers,                                                                                shouts, foot-stomping.)


SUPERINTENDENT BURTON:


                                                           (in a lower volume)


                             Gentlemen (and ladies) the world will long remember, and we who are gathered here today shall never forget, the extraordinary and monumental work which is to be accomplished here on this site. We shall build


                                                           (shouts)


THE BIGGEST, THE BEST, THE MOST EFFICIENT MANUFACTURING ARM OF THE JUST CAUSE, THE ONLY CAUSE, THE CONFEDERACY!


                                                                     (Deafening applause)





                                                                     (At the outskirts of the                                                                      crowd stand the contingent                                                                      from Wesleyan Ladies'                                                                                College of instructors and                                                                      students. The only missing                                                                      Wesleyan individual is                                                                                REVEREND PRESIDENT FISK Rufus Fisk, who                                                                      stands with Superintendent                                                                      Burton and the City                                                                                Officials of Macon, at the                                                                      front, near the Corner                                                                                Stone which is about to be                                                                      placed.)


                                                                     (Those Wesleyan Ladies'                                                                                College students who have                                                                      family and relations in or                                                                      near the City who are                                                                                attending stand with them,                                                                      interspersed throughout                                                                                the crowd. One of these is                                                                      VONDA LACEY, who has                                                                                arrived at the site with                                                                      the College group, but has                                                                      met up with her third                                                                                cousin and sort of on-site                                                                      Guardian, MAJOR SHERROD                                                                                LACEY NELSON.)


                                                                     (Standing with VONDA LACEY          `                                                            and THE MAJOR is CAPTAIN                                                                      JUDSON HEATH, CSA, who has                                                                      accompanied THE MAJOR to                                                                      the presentation as his                                                                                Aide-de-Camp.)


THE CAPTAIN: Are you too warm, MISS LACEY? Would you care for a sherbet? Ah'll step ovah there, see that vendor raht past the crowd?





VONDA LACEY: Ah wouldn't mahnd that at ahl, Sir, Ah thank you.





THE CAPTAIN: Perhaps you'd care to step over there with me, and sit under the trees ovah theah, out of this sun?





VONDA LACEY:                                        (glances at THE MAJOR, since                                                                      she is after all here                                                                                unchaperoned, except for the                                                                      Wesleyan College instructors,                                                            and her third cousin, THE                                                                      MAJOR. But he is very intent on                                                            watching the speakers,                                                                                specifically SUPERINTENDENT                                                                      JAMES H. BURTON, and a second                                                            man near the Corner Stone,                                                                      HARRALD NEALM. So THE MAJOR                                                                      misses VONDA'S glance toward                                                                      him.)


                                                           (VONDA reaches up and accepts                                                            THE CAPTAIN'S arm, and they                                                                      walk away from the crowd past                                                            its outskirts. He leads her to                                                            a bench under the shade trees,                                                            and then walks back to buy two                                                            sherbets from the vendor, which                                                            he then carries back to the                                                                      bench and sits next to VONDA                                                                      LACEY. The two sit quietly                                                                      conversing, unheard, heads                                                                      together, occasionally smiling                                                            or laughing, and soon are                                                                      gazing into each other's eyes,                                                            oblivious to the ongoing                                                                      speeches or to the Wesleyan                                                                      Ladies College instructors, now                                                            eyeing them distrustfully, or                                                            to THE MAJOR, who has at last                                                            discovered that his COUSIN                                                                      VONDA is no longer standing                                                                      beside him.)





                                                                     (Lights down.)



© Copyright 2010 Cobwebby Space Reader Reindeer (UN: fantasywrider at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Cobwebby Space Reader Reindeer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/696670-May-17-Free-Read-----------------Word-Count-933