*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/696692-Whos-Who
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#696692 added May 19, 2010 at 12:06pm
Restrictions: None
Who's Who?
    Reading about my county, it occurred to me that some people, nerdy maybe, like myself, would like a "who's who" of local people from its beginning to the present age. I started a list of such names as I know, and then looked for names of significance of which I know little. I have uncovered a lot, so far.

    Determining who should be on the list hasn't been difficult. It turns out that people with money are the most influential. That wasn't the direction I wanted it to go, but people of money have more power and influence. They own the businesses, change zoning, run for office, and make substantial gifts. They get the best education and throw the biggest parties. Even the eccentric ones get publicity. They bring jobs to a community. So when you look at the history of a community, you're looking at the stories of rich people, or those who tried very had to get rich. As much as I wanted to include some working class people or poor people, my list of notables are all rich so far.

    I hope as I continue my research that I will find those who were outstanding for merit alone. I don't mean to say that the rich didn't make substantial contributions of a non-financial matter, or that their motives will wrong. Many were geniuses, or of notable moral character. But it does seem to bear out that to be of lasting influence, to have a profound impact on a community, it helps to have wealth in your corner. It either enables a person to do good, through education or position, or it enables them to use their money for good.

    I'm going to keep digging. My goal is to know not only the notables, but all the strong characters who helped build this area. Maybe I'll get it in print for the local readers. 

   

© Copyright 2010 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/696692-Whos-Who