*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/696876-May-21-Oil-Hurricanes-and-Free-Read1674-word-count
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1342524
Reading, Writing, Pondering: Big Life Themes, Literature, Contemporary/Historical Issues
#696876 added May 21, 2010 at 8:13am
Restrictions: None
May 21: Oil, Hurricanes, and Free Read_1674 word count
I had a scary thought this morning concerning the oil spill. Not only is that broken pipe still pumping out oil despite the containment efforts, not only might the volume of oil pouring into the Gulf of Mexico be up to fourteen times greater than the quantity announced by British Petroleum, owner of the defective and destroyed rig-but hurricane season is fast approaching this exact area. Hurricane Season commences June 1-only 10 days away.


http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/index.shtml


http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-oil-spill-20100521,0,776162...





One positive point may be that where BP can't fix it, perhaps Kevin Costner, the actor can. He has worked for fifteen years, to the expense of $24 million, to find a containment solution for oil spills.


http://feeds.latimes.com/~r/latimes/news/science/environment/~3/kWAnin1kf2s/la-n...








Obax and The Night-Riders, A Stage Play continued:





ACT TWO, SCENE FOUR


                                                                     April 26, 1863


                                                                     Wesleyan Women's College


                                                                     Macon, Georgia, CSA


                                                                     REVEREND PRESIDENT FISK's Office


                                                                     Afternoon.





                                                                     (Lights up.)


                                                                     Sunshine through wide West                                                                      windows pools on plush                                                                                carpeting and highlights                                                                      floor-to-ceiling                                                                                          bookshelves, STAGE RIGHT.                                                                      Large desk is set just to                                                                      North (or to rear) of West                                                                      windows (nearly floor-to-                                                                      ceiling) and is almost                                                                                covered with papers,                                                                                memos, and books. A quill                                                                      pen, ink stand, and                                                                                blotter are also on the                                                                                REVEREND PRESIDENT FISK's desk, and a                                                                                name plaque sits at the                                                                                front left corner of the                                                                       desktop reading “REVEREND PRESIDENT FISK                                                                      RUFUS A. FISK.”)





                                                                     (Behind the desk sits a                                                                                large heavyset man with                                                                                chin whiskers, sideburns,                                                                      all in white, and a thick                                                                      head of white hair, combed                                                                      straight back from his                                                                                forehead. His face is                                                                                jowly and fleshy, pinkish                                                                      but not ruddy. Clearly he                                                                      is of a temperate                                                                                          constitution, as befits a                                                                      minister in the                                                                                          Methodist Episcopal                                                                                Church.)


                                                                     (At a knock on the door,                                                                      STAGE RIGHT FOREGROUND, he                                                                      sets aside the book he has                                                                      been perusing, and selects                                                                      a telegram, which he holds                                                                      just above the desk and                                                                                reads carefully,                                                                                          frowning.)





                                                                     (A female secretary in a                                                                      starched white shirtwaist                                                                      and pale blue serge skirt,                                                                      a graduate of Wesleyan                                                                                Ladies' College and an                                                                                alumnae, opens the door                                                                                (STAGE RIGHT FOREGROUND)                                                                      and peeks around it,                                                                                addressing THE REVEREND                                                                                PRESIDENT FISK.)








SECRETARY: REVEREND PRESIDENT FISK, MADEMOISELLE WILLIS and her student VONDA LACEY are here, at your request.





REVEREND PRESIDENT FISK:


                                                           (nods without looking, reaches                                                            to his left for a second                                                                      telegram)


                   Thank you, Miss Barnes. Please give me one more moment and then send them in.





SECRETARY: Yes, REVEREND PRESIDENT FISK, thank you.


                                                           (bows out the door, closing it                                                            behind her.)


                   


                                                           (REVEREND PRESIDENT FISK sets                                                            both telegrams, one atop the                                                                      other, back on the center                                                                      cleared space on his desk. He                                                            then puts his elbows on the                                                                      desk, clasps his hands, and                                                                      rests his forehead on them.                                                                      Clearly he is spending this                                                                      moment in prayer. When he is                                                                      finished, he raises his head,                                                            places both hands flat atop the                                                            telegrams, and calls out.)








REVEREND PRESIDENT FISK: Come in, please!


                                                 


                                                                     (Door opens STAGE RIGHT                                                                                FOREGROUND. SECRETARY                                                                                enters, ushers in                                                                                          INSTRUCTOR ARABELLA                                                                                WILLIS, student VONDA                                                                                LACEY, INSTRUCTOR VONNIE                                                                      ANDERSON.)





                                                           (INSTRUCTOR ARABELLA                                                                                WILLIS wears a gray cotton                                                                      dress with a white apron. Her                                                            dull black hair is pulled into                                                            a bun so tight that her                                                                                complexion appears stretched.                                                            Her mouth is downturned and                                                                      crimped. Obvious frown lines                                                                      stretch from nostrils to chin.)


                                                           INSTRUCTOR VONNIE ANDERSON,                                                                      however, is elegant in a pale                                                            grey silk gown with ruffles                                                                      vertically on the front, a                                                                      pearl grey wide sash, and a                                                                      white collar. Her high-button                                                            shoes are highly polished, as                                                            if they had just received the                                                            administrations of a bootblack,                                                            and her hair is pouffed at the                                                            front in the Gibson Girl style                                                            that will not become a fashion                                                            mode for another three decades,                                                            with curls descending over each                                                            ear. Her hair is a chestnut                                                                      brown, lighter than VONDA                                                                      LACEY'S, with golden-reddish                                                                      highlights.)





                                                           (STUDENT VONDA LACEY wears a                                                                      chocolate brown, but stylish                                                                      gown. Her shoes are also                                                                      polished, but not to the                                                                      glaring extent of INSTRUCTOR                                                                      VONNIE ANDERSON'S. Her hair is                                                            combed neatly back and fastened                                                            into a French chignon just                                                                      above her high white collar.                                                                      Her expression is troubled,                                                                      almost anxious, as she has been                                                            summoned from INSTRUCTOR                                                                      ARABELLA WILLIS' Ladies'                                                                      Deportment class in the                                                                                morning, and told by REVEREND                                                            PRESIDENT FISK'S SECRETARY to                                                            report to THE REVEREND                                                                                PRESIDENT FISK'S                                                                                          office this afternoon at two                                                                      PM.)





REVEREND PRESIDENT FISK: Come in, Ladies, come in. Please have a seat, MISS LACEY.


                                                                     (All three women note that                                                                      REVEREND PRESIDENT FISK                                                                                does not suggest either of                                                                      the instructors be seated,                                                                      but only the student.)


                                                           (INSTRUCTOR ARABELLA WILLIS'                                                                      frown deepens.)


                                                           (INSTRUCTOR VONNIE ANDERSON                                                                      looks unconcerned and even                                                                      flighty, as always, and appears                                                            supremely unaffected by the                                                                      dismayed glance given her                                                                      appearance by REVEREND                                                                                PRESIDENT FISK.)


                                                           


                                                           (VONDA LACEY moves to the                                                                      davenport in front of the                                                                      bookshelves at STAGE RIGHT and                                                            sits in the center, on the edge                                                            of the cushion, back very                                                                      straight in the upright pose                                                                      insisted on by INSTRUCTOR                                                                      ARABELLA WILLIS' Ladies'                                                                      Deportment course, but her                                                                      hands are clasped in her lap so                                                            tightly entwined that their                                                                      color has turned to pale.)





         REVEREND PRESIDENT FISK:


                                                           (Looks up, gives VONDA LACEY on                                                            the davenport a considering,                                                                      yet pitying look, straightens,                                                            clasps both hands atop the                                                                      stack of two telegrams, then                                                                      speaks.)


REVEREND PRESIDENT FISK:          MISS LACEY-VONDA-I regret very much to inform you that


                                                           (sighs deeply)


your father, and your brother


                                                           (another deep sigh)


have been lost fighting for the Glorious Cause.





VONDA LACEY:


                                                           (emits a low-voiced scream,                                                                      gasps, bows her head and covers                                                            her face with her hands,                                                                      sobbing quietly into her palms)





REVEREND PRESIDENT FISK:  You will need to hear some details, MISS LACEY, and then there is a little matter we must discuss.





INSTRUCTOR VONNIE ANDERSON: Sir, MISS LACEY lost her mother just a few years ago, before she came to us here at The College. With this loss of her father and brother, she is now alone in the world, with no Guardian and no remaining close family members.





VONDA LACEY:


                                                     (voice muffled by hands over                                                                face)


          MAJOR NELSON





VONNIE ANDERSON:                              (bends over VONDA LACEY, places                                                            a hand on VONDA'S quaking                                                                      shoulder)


               What, dear?





INSTRUCTOR ARABELLA WILLIS:


                                                           (snorts in disapproval of                                                                      INSTRUCTOR VONNIE ANDERSON'S                                                                      familiarity with a student)





VONDA LACEY:


                                                           (raises her head, but keeps                                                                      hands close together just below                                                            her chin, now clasped as if in                                                            prayer)


                             My cousin. MAJOR NELSON. SHERROD LACEY NELSON-he's a Major in the Army. He and my Papa


                                                           (here bursts into sobs and                                                                      again buries her face in her                                                                      hands)


                                                           (recovering somewhat)


COUSIN NELSON and Papa are-were-third cousins. He is the only family left that I know of. He lives-his home is at Savannah. He is an Attorney; he came to see me at the time of the dedication for the Cornerstone for the Armory, and earlier, when The College had the Debutante Ball.


                                                           (turns to INSTRUCTOR VONNIE ANDERSON and INSTRUCTOR ARABELLA WILLIS)


      You remember, don't you, MISS ANDERSON? MADEMOISELLE WILLIS? You met my COUSIN MAJOR NELSON.





REVEREND PRESIDENT FISK:          


                                                           (clears throat)


         MISS LACEY, your Cousin is part of what I need to tell you now. Please listen.


                                                           (delivers a quelling look at                                                                      INSTRUCTOR VONNIE ANDERSON and                                                            INSTRUCTOR ARABELLA WILLIS)





         Your father, I regret to say, was lost at the Battle of Bayou Pierre, in your home state of Mississippi, back on April 2. I do not know why I was not notified earlier of his decease. I just this morning received a telegram from your Cousin, MAJOR SHERROD LACEY NELSON, informing me of the loss of your father.


         Your brother, Ford, died at the Battle of Tuscumbia, in Alabama, our neighboring state, just three days ago, on April 24.


                                                           (He holds up the top telegram.)


    THAT telegram arrived just this morning, also. It is not clear from your COUSIN MAJOR'S telegram this morning whether he has been apprised of your brother Ford's death; but I will send him a reply telegram this afternoon.





         At any event, MISS LACEY, all of us here at Wesleyan Ladies' College deeply regret your loss, and all of the Instructors


                                                           (bending a stern eye toward                                                                      INSTRUCTOR ARABELLA WILLIS and                                                            INSTRUCTOR VONNIE ANDERSON)


will do all they can to assist you in your time of grief. Your graduation date is approaching-early next month-and you of course will need to make plans as to what you wish to do following graduation. I am certain that a place may be made ready for you if you wish to remain with us at The College as an instructor. I understand your French language and culture abilities are [italicized]non pareil. A position could certainly be found for you as an Instructor, or at minimum a tutor.


                                                           (finally pauses for breath. In                                                            the intervening silence, only                                                            the ticking of the grandfather                                                            clock at STAGE LEFT FOREGROUND,                                                            and the continued quiet sobbing                                                            of VONDA LACEY can be heard.)





                                                     (INSTRUCTOR VONNIE ANDERSON                                                                      continues to pat VONDA LACEY on                                                            the shoulder and to rub her                                                                      upper back gently.


                                                           INSTRUCTOR ARABELLA WILLIS                                                                      watches this, frowning.)





REVEREND PRESIDENT FISK:


                                                           (clears throat, pauses, speaks)


      MISS LACEY, I will notify your Cousin by telegram this afternoon and ask what he intends. In the meantime, perhaps you would benefit by returning to your room and resting. I am sure your roommate-


                                                           (looks quizzically at                                                                                INSTRUCTOR ARABELLA WILLIS)





INSTRUCTOR ARABELLA WILLIS: MISS ASHLEY DUMPLING, Sir.





REVEREND PRESIDENT FISK:  Yes, MISS DUMPLING-I am certain she will be pleased to watch over you while you rest. In the meanwhile, once I have had information from your Cousin, the Major, I will advise you as to what steps are to be taken.





                                                           (REVEREND PRESIDENT FISK                                                                      stands, in what is clearly a                                                                      dismisal, and motions to                                                                      INSTRUCTOR ARABELLA WILLIS to                                                            take VONDA LACEY out of his                                                                      office. However, INSTRUCTOR                                                                      VONNIE ANDERSON, already at                                                                      VONDA'S side, is lifting VONDA                                                            to her feet and escorting her                                                            to the door, one arm around the                                                            younger woman's waist.)





                                                           (INSTRUCTOR ARABELLA WILLIS                                                                      frowns at the two women, then                                                            turns toward REVEREND PRESIDENT                                                            FISK, still standing behind his                                                            desk, holding the two                                                                                telegrams, and bows her head,                                                            unsmiling. She reverses and                                                                      follows INSTRUCTOR VONNIE                                                                      ANDERSON and Student VONDA                                                                      LACEY through the door, STAGE                                                            RIGHT FOREGROUND.)





                                                                     END OF ACT TWO, SCENE FOUR



© Copyright 2010 Cobwebby Space Reader Reindeer (UN: fantasywrider at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Cobwebby Space Reader Reindeer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/696876-May-21-Oil-Hurricanes-and-Free-Read1674-word-count