*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/697035-May-22-------------------------------------1741-word-count
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1342524
Reading, Writing, Pondering: Big Life Themes, Literature, Contemporary/Historical Issues
#697035 added May 23, 2010 at 9:39am
Restrictions: None
May 22 1741 word count
Our thoughts and prayers are with the families and loved ones of those lost in the tragic plane crash in India, and to the remaining eight survivors.





Obax and The Night-Riders, a Stage Play


ACT TWO, SCENE FIVE





                                                                     April 27, 1863


                                                                     Macon, Georgia, CSA


                                                                     Wesleyan Ladies' College


                                                                     Dormitory Lounge, Ground                                                                      Floor





                                                                     (Comfortable armchairs and                                                                      davenports are scattered                                                                      throughout, interspersed                                                                      by tall round tables                                                                                covered with antimacassars                                                                      and vases of Spring-                                                                                blooming fresh flowers.                                                                                The atmosphere is very                                                                                chintzy, and it is obvious                                                                      that there is a Victorian                                                                      England influence, as the                                                                      room is fairly crowded. To                                                                      STAGE REAR, LEFT of                                                                                CENTER, is a staircase                                                                                just through an archway,                                                                      and to the right of the                                                                                staircase is another room,                                                                      mostly shadowy. The HOUSE                                                                      MOTHER'S suite is in that                                                                      direction (STAGE REAR-                                                                                RIGHT of CENTER).





                                                                     (To STAGE LEFT stands a                                                                                chest-high oak counter,                                                                                behind which sits the                                                                                HOUSE MOTHER of the                                                                                Dormitory. At this moment                                                                      she is standing behind it,                                                                      wringing her hands and                                                                                looking particularly                                                                                anxious.)





                                                                     (To STAGE RIGHT sits a                                                                                stocky man of medium                                                                                height, well but not                                                                      fashionably attired. His cravat                                                            is slightly crooked, where he                                                            has been pulling at it from                                                                      nervous afflictions. He is                                                                      clearly uncomfortable in an                                                                      environment wholly feminine,                                                                      and no doubt prefers the                                                                      company of men (as he has amply                                                            demonstrated in his encounters                                                            SUPERINTENDENT JAMES BURTON of                                                            the CONFEDERATE ARMORIES and                                                                      with MAJOR SHERROD NELSON                                                                      LACEY.)





         


                                                           (INSTRUCTOR VONNIE ANDERSON                                                                      enters through the outside                                                                      door, STAGE FOREGROUND, LEFT of                                                            CENTER)





                                                           (The HOUSE MOTHER moves forward                                                            to the counter, calling for                                                                      INSTRUCTOR VONNIE ANDERSON'S                                                                      attention)





HOUSE MOTHER: MISS ANDERSON! MISS ANDERSON! Over here!





                                                           (INSTRUCTOR VONNIE ANDERSON                                                                      continues to tow VONDA LACEY                                                                      through the door. Once she is                                                            inside, she turns her toward                                                                      the HOUSE MOTHER'S counter, but                                                            by now, upon seeing VONDA LACEY                                                            appear, the man on the                                                                                horsehair davenport has jumped                                                            up and begun to cross the wide                                                            lounge parquet floor.)





HARRALD NEALM: MISS VONDA! MISS VONDA! I came as soon as I heard!


                                                           (walks rapidly toward VONDA LACEY and INSTRUCTOR VONNIE ANDERSON, who have now stopped in front of the HOUSE MOTHER'S counter)





HOUSE MOTHER:          MISS ANDERSON, this gentleman has been waiting all morning! He's asking to see MISS LACEY! I told him, no student can be seen without a chaperone!





INSTRUCTOR VONNIE ANDERSON:


                                                           (to HOUSE MOTHER, soothingly)


                             It's all right, Mrs. Jenks. Ah'm here with her. Ah will chaperone.





                                                           (INSTRUCTOR ARABELLA WILLIS                                                                      strides in, taking in the                                                                      situation at a glance-or the                                                                      situation as it appears to                                                                      her.)





INSTRUCTOR ARABELLA WILLIS: Sir! What business have you here?!





HARRALD NEALM:


                                                           (he has almost reached VONDA                                                                      LACEY, but INSTRUCTOR VONNIE                                                                      ANDERSON stands just in front                                                            of her; he halts in front of                                                                      INSTRUCTOR ARABELLA WILLIS and                                                            bows.)


                             A proposal, Madame. I bring a proposal. Might I address MISS LACEY now, since she has three such diligent chaperones present?


                                                           (INSTRUCTOR ARABELLA WILLIS                                                                      frowns again, but INSTRUCTOR                                                                      VONNIE ANDERSON looks first to                                                            VONDA LACEY, and when she nods                                                            slightly, addresses HARRALD                                                                      NEALM.)





INSTRUCTOR VONNIE ANDERSON: Sir, MISS LACEY has just suffered a terrible shock. If you would please just wait a few moments more, Ah shall take her upstairs to freshen up and then we shall return, along with her roommate.





                                                           (ushers VONDA LACEY to STAGE                                                                      REAR, throught the archway and                                                            up the staircase to an upper                                                                      floor).





                                                           (HARRALD NEALM subsides with a                                                            quiet “Thank you” unheard by                                                                      either INSTRUCTOR VONNIE                                                                      ANDERSON nor VONDA LACEY, and                                                            returns to sit on the edge of                                                            the horsehair davenport, once                                                            again highly uncomfortable in                                                            these feminine environs.)





                                                                     (INSTRUCTOR ARABELLA                                                                                WILLIS motions to HOUSE                                                                                MOTHER to exit from behind                                                                      the counter, and the two                                                                      walk through the archway                                                                      at STAGE REAR CENTER and                                                                      move toward STAGE REAR                                                                                RIGHT, into the mostly                                                                                shadowy room that leads to                                                                      the HOUSE MOTHER'S suite.)





                                                                     (Lights dim.)





                                                                     (Lights up.)





                                                                     (Same setting.


                                                                     April 27, 1863


                                                                     Macon, Georgia, CSA


                                                                     Wesleyan Ladies' College


                                                                     Dormitory Lounge, Ground                                                                      Floor





                                                                     One half-hour                                                                                                    has passed.)





                                                           (HARRALD NEALM is still on the                                                            uncomfortable horsehair                                                                                davenport at FAR STAGE RIGHT                                                                      CENTER, now with head buried in                                                            hands, clearly distraught and                                                            anxious about the outcome of                                                                      this afternoon's meeting with                                                            VONDA LACEY. Indeed, after a                                                                      half-hour, he is no longer                                                                      certain he will even be allowed                                                            to meet with her. Yet he has                                                                      much to tell her, and a boon to                                                            ask.)





                                                                     (Footsteps are heard on                                                                                stairs.)





                                                           (VONDA LACEY comes into view on                                                            the last several steps,                                                                                accompanied by INSTRUCTOR                                                                      VONNIE ANDERSON. Walking just                                                      behind the two is STUDENT                                                                ASHLEY DUMPLING, roommate of                                                                VONDA LACEY.)





                                                           (VONDA LACEY is now dressed in                                                            a serge gown of a brown shade                                                            so deep as to appear black,                                                                      with a band of black silk tied                                                            around her upper left arm.)


                                                 


                                                           (HARRALD NEALM stands up,                                                                      holding his bowler in both                                                                      hands, but remains silent,                                                                      gazing at VONDA LACEY with a                                                                      combination of awe and dismay.)





                                                           (INSTRUCTOR ARABELLA WILLIS and                                                            the HOUSE MOTHER appear from                                                                      STAGE RIGHT REAR, LEFT of                                                                      CENTER, from the direction of                                                            the HOUSE-MOTHER'S rooms. HOUSE                                                            MOTHER carries a black gown and                                                            hat with veil, also all black,                                                            across her arms. INSTRUCTOR                                                                      ARABELLA WILLIS and HOUSE                                                                      MOTHER intercept VONDA LACEY,                                                            INSTRUCTOR VONNIE ANDERSON, and                                                            STUDENT ASHLEY DUMPLING, who                                                                      has clearly been crying as tear                                                            tracks still show on her plump                                                            cheeks, at the bottom of the                                                                      staircase.)





HOUSE MOTHER:


                                                           (breathless)


                   MISS LACEY, honey, Ah altered this dress foah yah, and heah's a black hat and veil. Ah will work all naht tonaht to sew yah some moah dresses, dear child.





VONDA LACEY:                                        (reaches for the dress and hat                                                            with veil, but ASHLEY DUMPLING                                                            steps forward first and takes                                                            them.)





ASHLEY DUMPLING: Ah'll cahry them for yah, VONDA dear. Y'all have enough on yah mahnd raht now.





VONDA LACEY:                                        (doesn't speak, but squeezes                                                                      ASHLEY DUMPLING'S arm with a                                                                      taut smile in thanks.)





                                                           (VONDA LACEY, accompanied by                                                                      INSTRUCTOR VONNIE ANDERSON, and


                                                           trailed by ASHLEY DUMPLING                                                                      (whose arms are now loaded with                                                            the black gown and black hat                                                                      with veil), INSTRUCTOR ARABELLA                                                            WILLIS, and the tut-tutting                                                                      HOUSE MOTHER, approaches                                                                      HARRALD NEALM, her right hand                                                            outstretched regally.)





HARRALD NEALM:              (steps forward, takes the right                                                            hand of VONDA LACEY, bends low                                                            over it, kisses the top of her                                                            hand, then forgets to release                                                            it, until INSTRUCTOR ARABELLA                                                            WILLIS loudly clears her                                                                      throat.)





HARRALD NEALM: MISS VONDA, Ah am so very, very sorry for yah loss. Please accept all my condolences.


         MISS VONDA, Ah have received a telegram from yoah Cousin, MAJOR SHERROD NELSON. MAJOR NELSON infohms me that he is now yoah Guardian, ma'am, as yoah fathah and yoah brothah-God rest they precious souls-have passed on in the sahvice of our beloved Confederacy. And MAJOR NELSON also infohms me in this lil telegram that Ah have his express permission, since this is a grave and grief-filled matter-and since yoah ahr graduatin' this comin' month of May-and since yoah have no one in the woald no moh othah than yoah Cousin MAJOR NELSON, and he is a-way in the sahvice of our beloved Confederacy-


                                                           (pauses for a much-needed                                                                      breath)


-to ask for yoah hand in mahriage, to me, at yoah eahrliest conveen-ee-ence, MISS LACEY, ma'am.





ASHLEY DUMPLING:


                                                           (gasps)


                             Oooh!





                                                           (INSTRUCTOR ARABELLA FISK                                                                      frowns, deeply.


                                                           HOUSE MOTHER JENKS tut-tuts,                                                                      softly.


                                                           INSTRUCTOR VONNIE ANDERSON                                                                      beams, then looks to VONDA                                                                      LACEY to check her reaction.


                                                           Only VONDA LACEY remains                                                                      calm-perhaps resigned to her                                                                      new fate.)





VONDA LACEY: Sir-under othah circumstances Ah would say, it is too soon to discuss. But as Ah have suffered


                                                           (pauses to pull an emboridered                                                            hanky from her sleeve and wipe                                                            her left eye)


so just now, Ah will accede to the wishes of my Guardian, MAJOR COUSIN.





         If yoah wish to marry-we shall marry. Kindly wait till Ah have graduated, if yoah will. It is what my Papa wished.





                                                           (INSTRUCTOR VONNIE ANDERSON                                                                      beams and pats VONDA LACEY on                                                            the back.)


                                                           (HOUSE MOTHER JENKS considers                                                            how much more sewing must be                                                                      accomplished, in addition to                                                                      the mourning wear, to prepare                                                            for a wedding. Then she                                                                                realizes wedding finery should                                                            be white, and tut-tuts again,                                                            this time loudly, to think that                                                            a bride should be marrying just                                                            at the time of her father's and                                                            brother's demise. Yet there                                                                      seems almost no other way out.


                                                           And her Guardian has willed                                                                      it.)





                                                                     (Lights dim.


                                                                     Lights out.)





                                                                     END OF ACT TWO, SCENE FIVE








                                                                     ACT TWO, SCENE SIX


                                                 





                                                                     May, 1863


                                                                     Macon, Georgia, CSA


                                                                     Wesleyan Ladies' College





                                                                     Greater Lawn


                                                                     Graduation Ceremony,


                                                                     Class of 1863





                                                                     (Graduating students,                                                                                their families, and                                                                                underclass students mill                                                                      about on the lawn. Parents                                                                      and Guardians stand in                                                                                deep discussion with                                                                                faculty members, while                                                                                underclass students clump                                                                      to giggle and discuss                                                                                present fashions. Fathers,                                                                      Uncles, and Guardians not                                                                      engaged in conversing with                                                                      Instructors gather in                                                                                small groups to discuss                                                                                the progress of the War,                                                                      which has now          dragged on                                                                      for just over two years.)





                                                                     (Reverend President Rufus                                                                      A. Fisk strides across the                                                                      green swath of the Great                                                                      Lawn, resplendent in its                                                                      May finery, and climbs the                                                                      steps of the reviewing                                                                                stand. He is accompanied                                                                      by a lady in her twenties,                                                                      swathed in cream=colored                                                                      silk, with a wide-hat,                                                                                also sashed, and a veil.)





REVEREND PRESIDENT FISK: Ladies, Gentlemen! Might I have your attention now!





                                                                     (The crowd quiets and                                                                                turns toward the reviewing                                                                      stand. “Aahs” of                                                                                          admiration issue from some                                                                      of the underclass students                                                                      when they see the lady                                                                                standing next to the                                                                                REVEREND PRESIDENT. She is                                                                      not only fashionably                                                                                attired, a task not always                                                                      achievable two years into                                                                      the War, but she is very                                                                      lovely as well.)


REVEREND PRESIDENT FISK: May I introduce for your delight our Keynote Speaker for today's event, the Graduation of the Wesleyan Ladies' College Class of 1863?


                                                                     (applause throughout the                                                                      crowd.)


                                                           


REVEREND PRESIDENT FISK: Our Keynote Speaker today is the beauteous Miz Prescelia June Leigh Hargrove, Mistress of Twenty-Three Oaks Plantation of Cameron's Crossing, South Alabama, Confederate States of America





                                                                     (further applause)


and wife of Colonel Junior Dee Hargrove, who even as we speak is fighting our battles for The Just Cause!


                                                           (shouting these last three                                                                      words to high applause from                                                                      crowd)


                                                           


                                                           (MIZ PRESCELIA JUNE LEIGH                                                                      HARGROVE takes the podium. She                                                            declaims at length on the role                                                            of long-suffering women in the                                                            War Effort, extols the                                                                                instruction available at                                                                      Wesleyan Ladies' College-as she                                                            herself is an alumni-and                                                                      concludes with the announcement                                                            of the impending wedding, to be                                                            held that afternoon, of                                                                                Graduate VONDA LACEY to HARRALD                                                            NEALM of Brunsmoor, South                                                                      Georgia, Confederate States of                                                            America.)





                                                                     (Loud applause.)





                                                                     (Lights dim.





                                                                     Lights out.)


                                                                     END OF ACT TWO, SCENE SIX








                                                                     END OF ACT TWO














                                                 






© Copyright 2010 Cobwebby Space Reader Reindeer (UN: fantasywrider at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Cobwebby Space Reader Reindeer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/697035-May-22-------------------------------------1741-word-count