*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/697355-Memorial-Day-Approaches
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#697355 added May 26, 2010 at 2:05am
Restrictions: None
Memorial Day Approaches
    As the big celebritory weekend comes upon us, it is nice to remember it's more than some picnics, special sales, and a holiday for government workers. (Why do we tax payers give a paid holiday to government workers, when we don't get one?) Today, mostly for commercial reasoms, we remember all those whom we have lost. We'll place flowers on the graves of our loved ones and remember their faces, and long for them once more.

    But we must also remember those who have given life and limb for their country. Regardless of how we feel about war, those who have fought and died on behalf of their country have done so believing that some things are worth dying for. If I say they died bravely, I do not imply they were without fear. Acting in the face of danger without fear is fool-heartedness. Acting despite the fear is courage.

    I, for one, am grateful that so many have defended my country with their lives. I have lived in a country that has known mostly peace, freedom, and hope. Those intangibles come with a price. That price is marked with graves both here and abroad. It is fitting to recall the sacrifice, the bloodshed, the shattered families that have bought this freedom, this peace. While I dream of a world that does not wage war, that does not seek to end young lives, or destroy the innocent, I hope that the remembrance of those who have fallen will awaken a spirit in future generations to be wiling to stand up for their beliefs and to make the ultimate sacrifice when circumstances demand it. Let us honor the dead and pray they have not died in vain.

© Copyright 2010 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/697355-Memorial-Day-Approaches