*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/698530-Extraordinary-Book
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(119)
by Jeff
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1399999
My primary Writing.com blog.
#698530 added June 8, 2010 at 3:32am
Restrictions: None
Extraordinary Book

I just finished one of the most extraordinary books I've read in a long time. I've read some great books lately, most notably Stieg Larsson's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Simon Winchester's The Professor and the Madman, and Joe Abercrombie's The Blade Itself, but tonight (or this morning, as it turns out *Wink*) I finished one of those books that I just couldn't put down because it was such an extraordinary piece of writing.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon is a novel about a fifteen year old boy with autism who investigates the murder of his neighbor's dog and, as a result, also stumbles across a secret about his dead mother. What makes this book particularly brilliant is that the story is told in the first person, from the boy's point of view. As a result, not only is it an intriguing murder mystery and compelling family drama, but it's also a thoroughly-researched and remarkably detailed account of how the autistic mind processes information, and what the challenges those with the disorder face on a daily basis.

I can't say enough good things about this book. It was simply unforgettable. Insightful, funny, and touching.

I highly recommend it to anyone that enjoys mysteries, heartbreaking family drama, and empathetic protagonists that give us a different view of the world.

© Copyright 2010 Jeff (UN: jeff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jeff has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/698530-Extraordinary-Book