*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/700569-Freedom-of-Speech
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#700569 added July 1, 2010 at 2:56am
Restrictions: None
Freedom of Speech
    Sean Penn, a decent actor since he grew up, was in the news recently making a dumb comment. (Imagine a movie star making a dumb comment.) He actually said in front of a camera and microphone, that people who held a different opionion should be locked up as felons.

    Sorry, Sean, you play sensitive roles, but you are very insensitive to others' constitutional rights. How much better had you said something like, "Gosh, I think these people are off the wall, and disagree vehemently, but I'll fight for your right to express yourself."

    That's why you are allowed to play violent and vulgar roles at times, even though people may not like it. Glen Beck, and Rush Limbaugh, Dennis Miller, Cooper, O'Reilly, etc., can say whatever they want because they have a basic right of expression, short of obscenity and indecency outside of "art". (Artistic license allows a looser interpretation of normal standards.)

    As Americans, we are required to defend the rights of people with whom we do not agree. We don't threaten them with imprisonment. If we could get away with that, all followers of L Ron Hubbard would be locked up. But that would be wrong. That would be against the principles of our belief system.

    All these centuries go by, and we don't seem to learn anything. We just keep repeating the mistakes of the past. One group wants to control all the others. We can't control speech or thought or even action. The best we can do is establish order and attempt to protect the safety and welfare of the majority. You can't even make your kids believe what you believe; how can you dictate thoughts or feelings to society at large?

    Sean, you blew it. I've got to respect a man for his mind and his heart. Here's another icon out the window.
   

© Copyright 2010 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/700569-Freedom-of-Speech