*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/700633-following-up-on-Alfreds-comment
by Wren
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1096245
Just play: don't look at your hands!
#700633 added July 1, 2010 at 10:44pm
Restrictions: None
following up on Alfred's comment




Thanks, Alfred, for your good answer. I think your example is very similar, even though the subject matter and techniques are so different. I suppose there are several common points as well, I think. Nobody actually "gets" it immediately, if ever, not religion or musical ability. Both require faith that there's something worth going after, and both require practice. One of the famous old church writings is called "Practicing the Presence of God." You might look it up. It's very short and probably even available on line.

You made me think a new thought there. I know I have very little musical talent. I played a horn in high school band and sang in many choirs, but I don't have a gift. I came quickly to diminishing returns as I practiced, not having the ear for what it should sound like and getting discouraged easily. My new thought is: maybe spirituality is equally foreign to some people's nature. I'm defining spirituality as finding meaning in life and being able, at some level, to transcend the material world, maybe with music for instance. Some of the folks I meet daily have never believed in anything they could not hold in their hands, or at least never thought much about it. Their world has been work and making a livelihood for for their families, and they have, of necessity and training, lived in the word of facts. They often distrust feelings and imagination. Maybe they have avoided religion because it was as unintelligible as algebra, or poetry to them, a different world.

Well, I'll have to think about that. It's a good thought and worth some more pondering.

One thing though, for you: faith is not a matter of being able to believe that all the God-stuff is 100% true. Maybe it's partly the willing suspension of disbelief, part hope, and part yearning. I can dismiss a whole lot of what passes for religion as foolishness. When I get to the essential questions like where did the stuff of the Big Bang come from, and is there a purpose to human existence, and how about for me?--then I can't just say "Hogwash." I'm stuck wondering, hoping and yearning.

And I think I'll make this tonight's blog! Thank you very much!

© Copyright 2010 Wren (UN: oldcactuswren at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Wren has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/700633-following-up-on-Alfreds-comment