*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
5
6
7
8
9
10
12
13
14
15
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/700821-Thoughts-on-Independence-Day-Parades
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1649240
Gratitude breaks the spell of Writers Block
#700821 added July 4, 2010 at 12:08pm
Restrictions: None
Thoughts on Independence Day Parades
Word count: 501

It is Independence Day and in some small town in the United States, a parade is occurring. Parades seem to fascinate Americans. They celebrate almost every holiday with some type of parade. I do not know if it is the floats or the bands, but Americans gather in small and large towns across the country to watch a parade.

In small town’s the Independence Day parades usually occur on the town’s main street, which is normally called Main Street. Some towns have Independence Day parades. Some towns have pyrotechnic shows at night. Some towns have both. Some towns have neither. It depends on the citizens, the city council, the town’s financial situation, etc.

I have not attended an Independence Day parade or any other type of parade in years. The last parade I attended on the Fourth of July was in Boulder City, Nevada. I am not sure why I went to that particular parade. Perhaps just to get out of Las Vegas for a few hours.

All parades have certain elements in common. These elements are local or national politicians, bands, music, and floats. In the last Fourth of July parade, I attended the politicians rode in vintage cars. The two high school bands played the National Anthem and the Stars and Stripes Forever. The floats, which had rustic appearances, created by local schools they had traditional red, white and blue patriotic themes. In addition, there were T-ball teams marching in the parade.

The crowd cheered the marchers. I did notice on interesting fact, when the American flag passed by very few of the people put their hands over their hearts or took their hats off. Those who did were either naturalized citizens or veterans.

That was several years ago, I doubt that the situation has changed much. I think it is a matter of remembering that one of the ways to show respect for the flag is to solute it in a parade. In school, I learned to solute the flag when pledging allegiance to it; however, the person who taught me to show respect for the flag in a parade was Grandpa Newland.

Grandpa was born in America and not a veteran of any war. He was too young to fight in World War I and too old when World War II was declared. However, Grandpa always took his hat off and held it over his heart when the America flag passed in an Independence Day parade.

I learned many things from Grandpa. I learned that men take off their hats and place them over their heart when the American flag passes. I learned that women, even if they are wearing hats, place their hands over their hearts, but do not have to remove their hats.

I miss Grandpa especially around The Fourth of July. This was a special holiday for us because we spent it with my grandparents. We picnicked and grilled. We set off firecracker during the day. At night, we had our own pyrotechnics display.

© Copyright 2010 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/700821-Thoughts-on-Independence-Day-Parades