*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/702039
Rated: E · Book · Fantasy · #1692531
Flitter is drawn from the safety of her homeland in order to help a stranger in need.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#702039 added August 22, 2010 at 4:11pm
Restrictions: None
The Han
Flitter Laslow barely touched the forest floor as she dashed through the outskirts of the Hannish Territory. Flitter was a fitting name for the foot tall creature darting gracefully through the quiet wood. Her golden hair drifted around her body like a cloud as she bounded from tree to tree. She leapt up catching a low-hanging branch, and swung around it like a gymnast before landing in the thick greenery at the treetop. Her tail twitched slightly back and forth as she watched the deer path that she had been traveling. Tilting her slightly pointed ear downward, she listened to her surroundings. Bird song dominated the air, but Flitter could still hear the soft chirping of the insects filling the wood. A sickly fox skulked toward a plump grey squirrel sitting at the base of Flitter’s perch. Across the clearing, two lizards were squaring off for a fight on the forest floor. She could also hear the faint rustle of a mouse moving beneath the leaf litter. Flitter smiled when she finally heard the faint footsteps she had been expecting. When she settled against the tree trunk to wait, the brown and green fabric of her clothing blended perfectly with the foliage. He would catch up any moment now.

Wrinkling her black, cat-like nose, she sniffed the air filling herself with the sweet scent of her ancient homeland. Her kind had occupied this land for more than twenty millennia. The lush forest hid the tiny Hannish villages dotting the countryside. Flitter’s hometown of Hanstruck was the largest settlement in the territory boasting hundreds of inhabitants. Her mother, Panreese Laslow, raised her in a small cottage near the center of the town. It had green shutters framing smartly decorated windows hung above gardens filled with rose bushes and daisies. The words “Flitter and Sandrell” were carved into the trim board on the left front corner of the house. If Panreese ever noticed the minor vandalism, she never mentioned it to Flitter. Outside Flitter’s empty bedroom, an abandoned swing dangled from the maple tree in the front yard as if waiting for the next Laslow child to climb aboard the flat seat.

Flitter spent the majority her childhood running around the village with her best friend, Sandrell, getting into all kinds of mischief. The pair once saddled two foxes and rode them through the center of a public concert right onto the stage. The musicians grabbed their instruments and dove off the platform narrowly avoiding the outrageous stampede. Another time, Flitter climbed the tallest tree in town on a dare from Asnel Henly, and then was too scared to climb back down. She stayed in the oak for three hours before an adult came along to help her. She in turn, convinced Asnel to eat a slug that made him terribly ill for two days.

Her most notorious deed by far was luring seven skunks into the chambers of the Council of Nine, the governing body of the Hannish Territory. The first skunk to be noticed waddled up to a chair occupied by a young clerk who emitted an unearthly scream before jumping onto the lap of the person sitting next to her. The scream roused the skunk’s companions, and before long, all the intruders were emerging from their hiding places. Everyone quietly tried to leave the building before the skunks decided to spray. Those who had the ability to communicate with animals tried to keep the uninvited guests calm, which worked well until Councilmember Chelark stepped on a skunk’s foot. Seven tails flipped upward, and the building filled with the noisome odor for which the species was famous. The politicians lost all dignity as they tumbled out of the building shoving past each other in vain attempts to escape the stench of so many irritated skunks.

Flitter’s mother, who held Lead Chair on The Council, was forced to move the meeting into the living room of her cottage. Flitter would have gotten away with the prank if Sandrell’s father had not seen her sneaking out of the Council building when he took an early morning walk. As punishment for the crime, Panreese forced Flitter to write letters of apology to all nine councilmembers for disrupting the meeting. She also had to wash the Council chambers from top to bottom until no foul odor remained. It took a full week of cleaning before her mother was satisfied that the building was restored to its proper aroma.
Flitter smiled at the memory of her mother’s reaction to the stunt. Panreese would be furious upon realizing her daughter had left their cozy little home to go outside. She feared outsiders, as most Hannish did, for if a human saw a Han, he or she faced a sort of enslavement to that human for as long as both lived. It rarely happened because most Hannish stayed in the homeland where magic prevented humans from entering. Those who did venture outside were usually far too keen and quick for the self-absorbed humans to notice. The giant outsiders fascinated Flitter, but Panreese had always refused to allow her daughter to leave the safely of Han to explore the world of humans. However, Flitter was now free to go wherever she pleased, and even her mother was powerless to stop her. Flitter stared at her unshod foot reminded once again of her recent transformation. She held up her tiny arm admiring its golden hue. Flitter was the youngest Han ever to transform from silver to gold. She had only been silver one hundred fifty years.

The Han was a culture of threes consisting of three developmental stages and three races; Wood Han, as Flit was, Water and Rock Han. Each had different strengths and weaknesses. Wood Han were the strongest in magic, but were in great danger from running water. The water would drag at the Han magic, slowly draining the life force of the unfortunate Wood Han who happened to fall into a river or stream. Rock Han were physically the strongest and had no elemental enemy; however, they were weak in magic. Water Han were more balanced. They attracted fire as the Wood Han attracted water, but without the debilitating effects to their magic. Their magical strength lay between the rock and the wood Han.

Few Hannish were blessed with a child; therefore, each new birth was marked by a massive celebration throughout the village. The festival surrounding Flitter’s birth lasted for six days and drew participants from all over the territory because she was the first Wood Han born in over twenty five hundred years. She had slate-grey hair and eyes with skin the color of dirty alabaster just as all Hannish children did. At sixty two years of age, physical maturity brought Flitter’s first life transformation from grey to silver. The dull hair brightened to a brilliant silver while the skin adopted a soft glow as the Hannish magic awakened in her. Flitter’s permanent eye color emerged with the silver change. They were a bold purple that complemented her lively personality.
Upon spiritual maturity, the final transformation turned the entire body various shades of gold. The skin’s muted glow flashed brightly when magic or great happiness flowed through the spirit. The average Han turned gold between the ages of five and seven hundred, although, some never turned at all. Until Flitter’s change, the youngest recorded gold transformation was at four hundred seventy four years old. Flitter did not know why she had changed at two hundred fourteen years, but many Han thought that made her special in some way. She felt no great spiritual maturity to account for the phenomenon. In fact, many considered her carefree nature childish. Flitter wished everyone would leave her alone and stop fawning over her. All of the unwanted attention was one of the reasons she was happy to leave the Hannish territory for a time.

Flitter abandoned her musings when she noticed a flash of silver hair moving through the brush. She watched silently as the Water Han searched the area. He never looks up, Flit thought as the newcomer stalked beneath her hiding place. She pushed herself off the branch and landed softly behind the other. Startled, he spun around as Flitter blew on the back of his neck.

“Flit, what are you playing at out here?”

“Sandrell Randlan, why are you following me?” The two stood nose to nose in challenge. Purple and turquoise eyes glared at each other as Flitter tapped her foot impatiently, “Well!”

“Don’t you yell at me, Flitter Laslow. I can go where I want, when I want. Gold or not, I don’t answer to you.” The silver water Han stood an inch taller than flitter. He used the advantage to loom over her as he continued his rant. “You’re supposed to be my best friend, and you just up and leave Hanstruck without so much as a note saying goodbye. How could you?”

“I’m sorry, but I knew you’d try to stop me.” Flitter hung her head contritely waiting for her friend to forgive her.

“Of course, I'd try to stop you. What if a human sees you? You’ll end up a slave to some obnoxious giant.” Flitter’s head snapped up at the disgust in Sandrell’s voice.

“You don’t know what you’re talking about. You haven’t ever seen a human. I’ve waited all my life to explore outside, and I’m going to do it. Besides, humans may be wonderful. We don’t really know anything but what the Council of Nine wants us to know. It’s been centuries since anyone has bonded to a human. It’s not the humans’ fault our magic is linked to them.” Sandrell snorted as he threw his hands in the air and turned away from his companion.

“Flit please, don’t go.” Flitter watched the sun sparkle off Sandrell’s shoulder-length hair. His tail snapped repeatedly against the ground betraying the emotion he tried to hide. Flitter laid a hand on his arm gently turning him to her.

“Sanny, I have to go.”

“Why?” Sandrell’s bright eyes shimmered with emotion as he waited for a response. Flitter was at a loss for an answer to satisfy her friend. “Why, Flit.”

“I just have to.” Exasperated, Flitter started pacing back and forth.

“That’s no reason at all.”

“Sandrell, you just wouldn’t understand.” Flitter snapped.

“Oh, and why’s that, huh? Is the immature silver too dense to comprehend your golden wisdom?”

“No, that hasn’t anything to do with it, and you know it.” Sandrell took his turn at sheepish head hanging as Flitter continued. “I don’t even know why I have to go. I can’t explain it. I feel something, or maybe someone, pulling at me. It’s as if I can’t not go. If I didn’t know better, I’d think a human bonded to me and needs something. Except instead of magically popping up next to him, I am compelled to find him on foot. I don’t understand it.” Flitter shivered as she hugged her arms and tail around herself. “It scares me a little, Sandrell”

“This is very strange. Have you told your mother?” Flitter shook her head, “Why not. If someone's using some strange magic on you, she'll know how to stop it.”

“But I think he really does need me, Sanny. How can I not go?”

“All the more reason to go back to Hanstruck, We’ll ask the Council to allow me to leave Han with you. I can protect you if this is some kind of Eklow trap.” The Eklow witches were the sworn enemy of the Han. The Eklow used their magic to gain power and wealth. Their cruelty towards those weaker than them was known throughout the world.

“You know they will never let a silver leave Han. It’s been forbidden since the Council placed the concealment enchantment over the homeland. Besides, what do you think one silver is going to do if there is an Eklow lurking in the Mists ready to do all manner of unspeakable things to me?” Flitter laughed at her joke but was secretly nervous about leaving the secluded safety of her homeland. Han was geographically protected from the Eklow Queendom and the nation of Delwaith in the northwest by the Mists of Remore and from Serenkale to the west by The Harmon Sea. Beton in the northeast and the Kingdom of Medley to the east and south shared direct borders with Han. The human inhabitants of all of these countries were unaware of Han. Centuries earlier the Hannish elders cast a concealment spell to hide Han from the outsiders in order to stop the continuous bonding between Han and human. The silver Han were especially susceptible since their silver hair seemed to attract human attention more easily than the gold. The spell acted as a shield causing humans to turn away unconsciously when approaching the Homeland. In effect, The Hannish Territory simply did not exist to outsiders. “Well whatever the risk, now that I’m gold, no one can stop me from going to him.”

“Him? Why do you think it is a male?” Flitter stared at Sandrell for a moment while she searched for an answer that resembled sanity. There wasn’t one.
“I dreamt of him. At least, I think it is a dream. Every morning since I turned gold, I have woken with the image of a human man in my mind. He is so tall. The top of my head would go just below his knee. Hair, the color of wet sand, hangs over a worn face. Although, I don’t think he is old for a human. I don’t know why I say that, but it feels true. His eyes are pale grey, like frozen bath water, and the pain that fills them is horrible. Oh Sanny, he is so heart sick, and he needs my help.” Flitter grasped her friends hands tightly, “He needs me. I have to go”

“Okay, Flit, but I’m going with you to the border. We can probably reach Hilltop by nightfall. Hmmm, no, we best avoid the townsfolk. They can’t stop you from going, but they could maybe send me home. I intend to be the last you see of Han and the first you see when you come home.” Flashing a bright smile, Sandrell scooped up his pack and started up the path leading north. “We can make camp near the border. You can cross the Remore in the morning when you are strongest.”

“Good idea.” Flitter bounded alongside Sandrell, happy to be on good terms once again. They settled into a pace that would tire most species. The Hannish were tremendous athletes. Flitter could jump ten feet into the air by the time she was thirty. Physical agility was another way the Han avoided notice by humans.

“Sandrell, was my mother very angry with me?”

“Hmm, yes. So much so, that she wouldn’t say anything at all. You know the face she puts on at Council when she has to work with Hornrit Seal. That’s how she looked when we realized you’d left.” Hornrit Seal was a gold Rock Han who sat on the Council of Nine. He had disliked Panreese since she rejected his affections when they were young. He was enraged when the other Council members named Panreese Lead Chair.

“Don’t worry, Flit. She’ll forgive you. Eventually.” Sandrell flung an arm around Flitter and gave her a quick hug.

The pair neared the edge of Han by sunset. They camped in the woods an hour away from the bridge spanning the South Remore River. Sandrell foraged for supper while Flitter set to work gathering wood for a fire. The nearness of such a large river was making her cold. After arranging the sticks in a teepee, Flitter concentrated on the need for the wood to burn. The need for warmth and for cooked food. She relaxed when she felt the magic rise in her. A soft glow emanated from her whole body as small tendrils of smoke began floating upward from the pile of wood.

“We don’t need a fire, Flit” Flitter’s glow faded slightly.

“I need the warmth.”

“I have a blanket in my pack. You can wrap up in that.”
“We need to cook, supper.”

“It’s all vegetables that can be eaten raw”

“But, I want them cooked.” flitter ground out between clenched teeth.

“But, you don’t need them cooked.” Sandrell smiled innocently as Flitter glared at him.

Flitter sighed when she felt the magic ebb, and grabbed the blanket Sandrell held out to her. “I’m going to get one of those flint things humans use to start fires,” Flitter muttered. Hannish magic was need based. Merely wanting a fire could not bring the magic to light it. Outsiders called it luck magic, which was true in a way. There was an element of luck involved in suddenly getting what you need. That was why the human legends named the Hannish, Luckbringers.

Most humans did not believe the Luckbringers were real because there was little evidence of their existence in the human world. Those who did believe thought the Han some type of genie that popped up at their master’s command to grant wishes. In truth, the bonding required the Luckbringer to appear when the human was in need, nothing more. Once there, the Han was free to grant or deny the human’s request. Flitter had never really considered that much of an enslavement, so you had to go if they called big deal. It wasn’t as if the humans could make you do anything more. Why not help if the need was true and worthy of Han magic. Most Hannish did not share that sentiment and considered the bond dangerous. After all, there was one occasion when a silver Han was summoned just as a tiger attacked her bonded human. When she popped up between the beast and girl, the tiger swiftly killed the Han before turning its attention back to the human. At least, that was the story Panreese had told Flitter when she talked of exploring the world.

Flitter rarely thought about her magic because in the safety of Han there was little need for magic. Everyone commonly used magic to start fires and move heavy objects but few had to use magic for anything significant. Flitter recalled the one time she had used magic unexpectedly. Sandrell was climbing a tall apple tree when he managed to slip off a branch and plummet towards the ground. Flitter had quickly called up a strong gust of wind and softly laid her friend on a soft mound of moss. Sandrell was one to the clumsiest Han in history.

“Sandrell, be sure to take care of yourself while I’m gone. I wouldn’t want to come home and find you’ve fallen off a cliff or something.”

“I fall out of one tree and I’m marked for life.” Sandrell rolled his eyes at his companion. “As I recall you had your share of embarrassing moments, too. At least, I didn’t get stuck in trees”

“That doesn’t count. I was just a grey at the time.”

Flitter and Sandrell filled the rest of the evening with childhood memories and future plans. They had an easiness forged by time and shared experiences. Flitter savored every moment as she stowed away all the details that made Sandrell her closest companion. Who knew how long it would be until they reunited? After finishing supper, the pair cleaned up the camp and readied themselves for bed. Butterflies danced in her stomach as Flitter settled down to sleep. The following morning would forever change her life.
© Copyright 2010 Callie Lynn McEntire (UN: callielynn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Callie Lynn McEntire has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/702039