*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
5
6
7
8
9
10
12
13
14
15
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/703258-House-of-the-rising-sun
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1649240
Gratitude breaks the spell of Writers Block
#703258 added August 5, 2010 at 6:52pm
Restrictions: None
House of the rising sun
Word count: 625

“What is today’s color,” said Rose closing her eyes and opening her closet door. She did not reach into the closet, but waited for the closet robot to place a wooden hanger in her hand. She gripped the hanger and closed the door before opening her eyes.

Taking the lavender dress off the hanger, she laid it carefully on the bed. Going to the bathtub in the corner of her bedroom, she turned the hot water on. As the water ran into the tub, she opened a new bottle of bubble bath and poured the entire contents into the tub. Turning the water off Rose climbed carefully into the tub and just set there humming softly to herself.

After about an hour, someone knocked on the door and a woman said, “Rose, are you ready yet?”

“Yes, Mrs. Jones,” Rose sighed and got out of the tub. Drying herself off, she put on the lavender dress. Odd, she thought as she studied her reflection in the mirror, this dress has a feline pattern, not at all like any of my other dresses.

“I’m ready,” she called waiting for Mrs. Jones to unlock the door before turning the handle.

“You look beautiful this morning, Rose,” Mrs. Jones arthritic hands smooth Rose’s red hair. “Isn’t today your birthday?”

“Yes, I’m sixteen today.”

“Ah, old enough to start entertaining our gentlemen clients,” Alice Jones smirked as she led Rose to the front staircase. “Today we go directly to the entrance hall. Mr. Hurwitz specifically requested a girl with your attributes. He is entertaining a new business associate and he wants to impress him.”

At the bottom of the stairs, Rose paused to orient herself to her surroundings. Two men stood beneath the crystal chandelier in the center of the room. Both of them carried orientate gold tipped walking sticks. One of them was about twenty-five with red hair; the top of his walking stick resembled the head of a cat. The other was in his late fifties or early sixties and carried a walking stick carved like a serpent.

“Before, I introduce you to Mr. Hurwitz…”

“Relax, Mrs. Jones,” Rose smiled sweetly surprising the fear that fluttered in her belly. “I’m here to pay off my parent’s debts; I won’t embarrass you or anyone in this house by my actions.” At least, not until I have the debts paid off.

“Good, but call me Aunt Alice in front of the clients, they think you are my niece.”

“Yes, Aunt Alice.”

“Mr. Hurwitz, welcome to the House of the Rising Sun, this is my brother’s daughter Rose.”

“It’s good to see you again, Mrs. Jones, this is Mr. Ambrose.”

Mr. Ambrose offered Rose his arm and then lead her to one of the overstuff couches. “Well,” he smiled as they sit down, “are the rumors I’ve heard about this place true?”

“I don’t know what rumors you’ve heard, Mr. Ambrose.” Rose’s hands trembled as terror threatened to overcome her composure.

“Is something wrong, Rose?”

“No, Mr…”

“Please, call me Hunter and there is something wrong. No one trembles this badly if everything’s all right.”

“Well,… Hunter, uh, you are my first… client.”

“Why don’t we take a walk in the garden,” laying his walking stick on the couch, Hunter Ambrose assisted Rose to her feet. “I don’t see any guards at that entrance.”

“I’d like that, Hunter.”

As the left the house, Rose noticed that Hunter’s walking stick was still lying on the couch. In the garden, they walked toward the gazebo in the center, but before they reached it, an explosion echoed from the house and shook the ground. A few minutes later, people ran form the house screaming and the house began to collapse in on itself.



© Copyright 2010 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/703258-House-of-the-rising-sun