*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/703856-Mosque
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#703856 added August 13, 2010 at 11:26pm
Restrictions: None
Mosque
      I have to weigh in on this mosque issue. While I am a Christian and a conservative, I try to be open-minded and stick to the basics. I generally favor the working class and individual rights over the state, yet I feel party lines have become blurred in recent years. Republican and Democrat don't mean what those names used to as the parties have altered their course in an attempt to keep in power.

      This time I must take a stand for religious liberty and the right to build a mosque wherever they can afford to do so and pass all existing ordinances. Most of our early American forebears came here for religious freedom, and once here, had to learn how to accommodate people with varying practices and assure their own freedom of expression. We need to continue in that tradition and be willing to allow others the same freedom as long as our own freedoms remain untrampled.
 
        It would be nice if the builders/owners would make a statement that addresses peace and co-existence, or pay some homage to those who died so near to their site. Even an attempt to apologize for those who were misled and committed crimes in the name of their religion would help. A simple statement that they do not condone the violence and destruction and are undertaking their mission in the hopes that others may understand their faith better and pursue peace and tolerance. Perhaps a clear disassociation with 9-11 actions will appease those who oppose the building site.

          I understand that some people may be afraid that the mosque/center will harbor sub-groups with terrorist tendencies. What assurances can the mosque leaders give that this will not be tolerated or encouraged? And there is guilt by association. If a member of the Smith family attacks several members of the Jones family, then when the innocent Smiths move 2 blocks away from the Jones, there could be some hostility from the Jones to the Smiths. Are the Jones just supposed to suck it up and quietly avoid the Smiths? Or should the Smiths make some attempt to reconcile?

          In the Christian way of thinking, it is the Christian who takes the first step to offer forgiveness, to reconcile to the offender. If no Muslims are going to make a public act or symbol of reconciliation, then Christians should. If that doesn't happen, shame on us. But at least politically, let them build their mosque. We're not a doormat. We won't relinquish our rights. But we'll guard yours. 

© Copyright 2010 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/703856-Mosque