*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/704546-Love-and-Romance-for-the-Over-Sixties
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1219658
Another plate full of the meat and vegetables of my life.
#704546 added July 2, 2013 at 1:09pm
Restrictions: None
Love and Romance for the Over Sixties
Many of my school and college friends have turned sixty this year and despite not normally buying gifts, it seemed appropriate to take along a little something to the parties. I gave a friend a book entitled 'Things to do now that you're Sixty,' back in February and being the environmentally friendly people we are, it was decided to keep recycling it for as long as possible amongst others celebrating this milestone. Of course a couple of weeks ago it found its way back to me, so this time I thought I'd actually read it before recycling.

It's quite interesting, comical and in some ways reassuring to know some of the advice I have already taken on board before reading the book. However, the final chapter, dealing with love and romance was the most difficult to relate to and the suggestions rather far removed from the reality of my life. Things like...


*Bullet* Respect your partner's privacy. If you have the space, use seperate rooms in the house for your hobbies and activities.

We have two spare bedrooms, a shed, greenhouse, loft, garage and a large seperate kitchen, but I can guarantee whatever I start to do, hubby will decide he needs to be in the exact same spot at the same time. The word space is not in his vocabulary.

*Bullet* Share financial problems with your partner.

Easy...I'm broke and he's deaf.

*Bullet* Appreciate and respond to the fact your partner will change and develop over your years together.

Exactly when? *Rolleyes*

*Bullet* Always celebrate your wedding anniversaries in style. Take a trip together or go out for a special meal and remind yourselves how much you mean to each other.

It was our pearl anniversary last Sunday. We took the kids out to a pub with a playground and had a meal outside. I came back with no arms or legs after footing the bill.

*Bullet* Share the television remote control.

Now we're entering the realms of pure fantasy.

The book will be recycled in December, as another friend turns sixty. In the meantime I wish I had the time to write my own advice book on the topic, although mine may be better entitled 'Things NOT to do now you're Sixty.'

© Copyright 2013 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/704546-Love-and-Romance-for-the-Over-Sixties