*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/705621-Cell-Phones-Need-to-be-Turned-Off
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#705621 added September 8, 2010 at 2:46pm
Restrictions: None
Cell Phones Need to be Turned Off
    Cell phones can be very annoying. Other peoples cell phones, that is.

    There's the guy in the restaurant who gets a call from work every 5 minutes. He talks loudly, so that everyone knows his employees can't survive a lunch hour without him. Or the guy who talks really loud into his head set all through the grocery store, so that everyone knows he has a cool head set and friends! He drowns out the music and the voice of the clerk answering your question about finding dried figs.

    Then there's the woman is swearing at someone on the phone as she's going through the check out line at the dollar store. She has about 12 items, and never once does she stop long enough to speak to the cashier. She puts things on the counter, looks into the screen before handing over her plastic card, loads her bags and walks away, never saying thank you or good-bye or putting her listener on hold. Everyone around knows she was angry at someone not present.

    There's also the milder version, who isn't angry or swearing, or loud, but again, never stops to recognize the cashier or bagger as a human being, doesn't speak to anyone in her real space, but continues talking to the one on the phone as though she's sitting calmly alone.

    Stop being so rude. Turn off the phone in restaurants and check-out lines. If someone calls, and you feel you must answer, say "Hold on, I'm busy" and put the phone in your pocket until you're done. Or tell them, "I'll call you back in a few minutes." Then hang up. Wait until you are out of the restaurant, or out of the register area of the store to call back. The person actually with you or in front of you deserves your full attention. If you can't put the phone away to go through a check out line, then don't go through the check out line! Choose one or the other.

      Learn some manners. Be considerate of others. Our need to stay connected shouldn't make us rude to those around us. You'll survive a delayed conversation. 

© Copyright 2010 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/705621-Cell-Phones-Need-to-be-Turned-Off