*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/706124-Voting-Day-at-the-Town-Hall
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#706124 added September 15, 2010 at 9:34am
Restrictions: None
Voting Day at the Town Hall
Voting Day at the Township

Yesterday I spent the day in the Town Hall involved in the voting. There were over 90 voters which is huge for a primary…we only have 200 on the rolls.

Irma and Nancy and Charesse brought me up to date. I have a character in one of my stores named Clarisse and I asked Char if her name was a variation on “Charlene?” She said her parents named her after the dancer Cid Charesse and her sister was name Lucy after Lucile Ball. She had a long blond pony tail that she braided by tucking her chin and letting it fall down in front of her face.

Anyway it was a long day and we had trouble with the voting machine. One man came in and couldn’t get the candidates name to check on the touch screen when he punched his selection. He called me over complaining like it was my fault or something and I touched where he was pointing and the check mark lit up. It was like that all day…the machines are great but they are full of warts and hick-ups.

The ladies joked that I had a magic finger and wanted me to touch them and pass on some of the “Magical Karma.“

The secretary of the Township Karen, is really smart and looking for another Chief Inspector now that George died. The ladies said she tried to hit them up for the job but they declined the increase in responsibility. They said there was a Chinese girl she interviewed who accepted, who would be taking the job once her mandatory training was completed. Every time I made the slightest error they joked that once she came on line I was certain to be demoted and they would have a more competent leader, one who really knew what was going on.

That’s the way it is in the Town Hall on voting day…no slack!

Jim the dentist came by and I joked to him about the wheel coming off his hay trailer on the highway. He didn’t seem to remember the incident…like how could you forget it, broken down on the side of the road, overloaded with 10 hay bales. I pulled over that day and even asked him if he needed help. Finally it came back to him as I kept filling in more and more of the details….I don’t know if he really forgot or just didn’t want to talk about it in a room full of his neighbors…I hope I don’t need dental work any time soon.

The diversity is amazing, young and old, farmers, merchants, retiriees and professional people…It was interesting to see how the husbands and wives did on the voting machine. Sometimes the man operated it best but more often it was the woman who worked it best….what a day.






© Copyright 2010 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/706124-Voting-Day-at-the-Town-Hall