*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/706277-More-on-the-Transmission-Linkage
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#706277 added September 17, 2010 at 1:01am
Restrictions: None
More on the Transmission Linkage
More on the Transmission Linkage

Yesterday was a fiasco working on the transmission linkage. I had a box of old linkage rods, none of which came even close to fitting my application. Then the tabs that connect to the shaft were not off-set.

The first thing I did was straighten out the two longest rods. Then I put the neutral pin through the shifter. This locks things in neutral which is where you are supposed to start when connecting up the rods. Then I put the two tabs in neutral and began to fit the two linkage rods between the shifter attachment holes and the shifter tab holes. This was a time consuming process requiring me to measure and take the rod to the vice, apply heat and go back and see how my adjustment fit the overall connection process. From the shifter hole the linkage rod had to drop down and to the left and then find its way up to the tab. Finally I had the two rods connected and when I went to shift one of the rods broke off. Apparently I had put too much heat from the gas torch into the bending process and severely weakened the rod….”Shucks! I muttered under my breath…as I walked in disgust out of the shop.

Today I went back to work and bent and lengthened the two tabs that attach to the two shifter shafts. Now they are on different planes and should not bind as easily. Linda announced supper before I could get too far along and I had to stop and come inside for dinner.

She had some ideas for a short story that is due in the class I am taking on Writing com. It turned out great.

I went by Pilfers and he hadn’t done anything with the S-10. The registration arrived in the mail today…not that I will be using it. I intend to register the vehicle as a’46 Studebaker.

My homework for last weeks class got reviewed and came back with some encouraging comments.

© Copyright 2010 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/706277-More-on-the-Transmission-Linkage