*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/706972-Theres-Your-Sign
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#706972 added September 25, 2010 at 2:01pm
Restrictions: None
There's Your Sign
      The blue collar comedy guys have been over-exposed to my way of thinking. They're old and tired and annoying. And yet, some of their stuff sticks. Not the "get 'er done". I'm sick of that!  But some of their things are just so basic.

      In my part-time job, people come to the cash registers and stand beside you and ask "Which side do you want me on?" The counter is on the other side of me. It seems so obvious. Duh. Or they'll say "Are you open?" while 8 feet or less away. I don't know, I'm standing right in place in front of a register, the light is on, I might even be finishing up a customer. I'm not bagging up money or avoiding eye contact. (When you're trying to go home and the store is still open, avoid eye contact. People take it personally when you tell them you're closing.) Do I look like I'm off the clock? I try to smile and greet people when they approach me and serve the way I'd like to be served.

      We don't have conveyor belts like grocery stores. So it amazes me that people will place things on the counter out of my reach. Some try to help by moving them up or when they see me leaning and stretching, they'll grab the items. But many will not. And if I miss something because it was so far away and got mixed up with the next person's or the junk on the counter for sale, some of these people get angry.

    Generally speaking, most people are polite and considerate and exercise common sense. But there are enough rude people, dishonest people, and people who don't use common sense to be stereotyped.There are enough unpleasant people to make an otherwise simple job an unpleasant experience. It only takes 3 or 4 obnoxious people to overwhelm the rest of a 4 hour shift with nice people. 
   

     

© Copyright 2010 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/706972-Theres-Your-Sign