*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/707446-Law-abiding-illegal-aliens
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#707446 added October 2, 2010 at 2:25am
Restrictions: None
:Law abiding illegal aliens"
            Murdoch, CEO of the company that owns Fox News testified before Congress this week about "law abiding illegal aliens".Does the head of a large corporation not see the contradictions in that phrase? Illegal aliens are breaking the law, or they would not be illegal aliens. Maybe he meant those who are not engaged in violent crimes or drugs. Maybe he meant families. Who knows? The vague reference was made in a law-making body which should require more specific testimony. However, Congress has been wasting tax payer money on a lot of foolish guest speakers lately.

          Granted, deportation is cost-prohibitive. But citizenship should not be taken lightly. We require aliens to study some basics of American history and government before they are naturalized. They must speak at least minimal English. If amnesty is to be granted, it shouldn't just be a free gift. The recipient should do something to get it. He should demonstrate some loyalty to America as well as prove himself innocent of all terrorist and covert operations.

          Meanwhile, every college campus should be training volunteers for English as a Second Language teachers. Churches and Y's, etc, should be encouraged to offer such classes in every community. More classes should be offered for citizenship in anticipation that many aliens will want full citizenship and to remain here. Then time limits can be set for those here illegally, just as there are for those who are here legally but temporarily. Pass the classes or catch the boat. Two years, once the communication is made, seems reasonable. The process needs to start right away for the numbers of people are overwhelming!

        I do agree with Murdoch that the borders should be secured to avoid future illegal immigration. But we still have the painful job of weeding out the perverts, thieves, gang-members, assassins, and drug runners. And employers will have to start paying their half of social security, Workmen's Comp. insurance, and unemployment insurance. Not paying those bills has kept many businesses happy with the status quo.

        Further, how do we make good citizens out of people who may have come here because they really had no where else to go, and may not really care about America's welfare. They have no vested interest. We have trouble making good citizens out of those who were born here. The love of democracy, capitalism, free enterprise, and American ideals just isn't there any more. Truth, justice, and liberty just don't set hearts throbbing any more. So our challenge is to salvage some pride, some respect for being American, and try to share it with the newcomers.

       

© Copyright 2010 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/707446-Law-abiding-illegal-aliens