*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/708401-Election-Idiocy
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(119)
by Jeff
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1399999
My primary Writing.com blog.
#708401 added October 13, 2010 at 4:29pm
Restrictions: None
Election Idiocy
I didn't even bother watching the California gubernatorial debate on television last night. And from the sound of things, I didn't miss much. Most of the news reports today are talking about how the vast majority of the debate was focused on bashing the other candidate, with particular emphasis placed on one of Jerry Brown's campaign aides having been overheard calling Meg Whitman a "whore" during a phone conversation... and Meg Whitman's former housekeeper supposedly being an illegal immigrant. I'm sorry... and pardon my language here... but what the fuck do either of those two issues have to do with the qualifications of these people to run a state, and with their proposals for how to get California out of its downward spiral? *Confused*

I'm really tired of all the trash-talking. This campaigning has been going on for months and months... and we're just now hearing the candidates' platforms... and even then, almost exclusively as an afterthought to an entire promotional spot that talks about the economy when Jerry Brown was governor the first time... or Carly Fiorina shipping jobs overseas when she was CEO of Hewlett-Packard... or Meg Whitman and her housekeeper... or Jerry Brown and his foul-mouthed campaign aide. And when we do hear the platform, it's empty promises that sound good, but have absolutely no chance of doing anything. Really, Meg Whitman? You're going to get rid of the illegal immigration problem for good? Really, Jerry Brown? You're not going to raise taxes a single cent for anyone without voter approval? I think I've heard both of those campaign promises before...

Seriously, I'd like to actually hear what the candidates have to say about the issues, and hear a realistic plan for achieving those goals. Where they stand on education reform, economic recovery, the obscene unemployment rate, the state tax structure across all socioeconomic levels. You know, the things that kind of, well, matter more than trying to prove that your opponent is the worse choice for the job. When did, "At least I'm not as bad as my opponent" become a valid campaign platform?

I guess we'll see what happens during the elections in a couple weeks. It doesn't seem to matter whether you're Democrat or Republican... none of the candidates are saying anything relevant to the job they intend to do if elected. *Worry*

© Copyright 2010 Jeff (UN: jeff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jeff has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/708401-Election-Idiocy