*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/708942-Appreciating-Your-Muse
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#708942 added October 20, 2010 at 8:07pm
Restrictions: None
Appreciating Your Muse
Appreciating your Muse

Today I read back over a serial episode I had written and it sounded flat. I think my muse has run off with the gardener again. When I write and she’s fluttering around sprinkling “pixy dust” my work is anything but flat. Readers don’t always like it but they can’t say it leaves them unaffected. However, when she’s not around I can still write but the words have an empty ring.

While I’m writing I can’t always tell if she’s dusting or not. Sometimes I don’t think she is but she’s doing it….sometimes I think she’s doing it but she isn’t. I have to wait until the next day and when I read it then I know for sure. People think I’m off my rocker when I talk about muses but to me they’re real and when I read a good author whose writing has gone flat I think…ah ha! His muse is off catting around again.

There are some elegant writers who don’t seem to have a muse…that is really a shame. Imagine being a good writer and not being able to experience your words actually coming alive. What a bummer. I think everyone is born with a muse but like a marriage that goes sour, one day she ups and walks out of your life leaving you brain dead and on life support. If you have a muse be nice to her…Mine likes to go to the movies. Walt Disney’s are her favorite. I feel kind of dumb walking in and watching some of these kid flicks but when it’s over she is animated as hell and for the next few days it really amps up my writing.

© Copyright 2010 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/708942-Appreciating-Your-Muse