*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/709010
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #1508897
Blogging/Journaling/Complaining on an entirely inconsistent basis.
#709010 added October 21, 2010 at 9:37pm
Restrictions: None
Cell Phones on the Road
With all the publicity I would have thought people would not use their cell phones while driving.  We have almost returned home from a wonderful trip through Tennessee to the Smokey Mountains and along the Blue Ridge Parkway.  I am still amazed that--and I counted ever so often when I was not enjoying the scenery--4 of every 10 people were talking on their phones.  And, most were weaving in their lanes, going too slowly, cutting off others, etc.  If you have never traveled from Memphis to Knoxville in Tennessee on I 40, you know that the traffic is horrendous.  Add old people, young people, and truckers talking on their phones and everyone is in danger.

If you want to talk on y our cell phone while in a moving automobile, let someone do the driving or get off the road and stop until you are finished.  Are you aware that when you wreck, you will more than likely take prudent drivers with you.

Thank goodness I saw only a few texting.  One of the owners of the B & B we stayed at in the Blue Ridge Mountains had been a state trooper for 10 years.  He recounted numerous stories of the cell phone and death.  The most graphic one being a seventeen-year-old who texted and drove and wrecked.  She was killed and her phone was found  still clutched in her hand on her right severed arm about 25 feet from the wreckage that had been her car.

I do see people pull off to use their phones and I thank you so much.  How many people are going to be killed needlessly until every state passes a law against talking on cell phones while driving and ACTUALLY ENFORCING THAT LAW?

When I was growing up we didn't have phones anywhere but in our home.  Most of the time when it rang, it was a nuisance.  We played outside for as long as our parents would let us. 

I heard that parents can have chips placed in their children's phones so that they will know where their children are at all times.  I think that is a great idea.  Not enough parents care where their kids are any more.  What a concept......make them be responsible parents.

Enough said.  But, I am not finished with the cell phone issue.

© Copyright 2010 Rixfarmgirl (UN: rixfarmgirl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Rixfarmgirl has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/709010